Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falkland Islands lie in Argentinian waters, UN commission rules

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That sounds reassuring. Or maybe your relatives only mix with intelligent Argies, who don't represent the majority?

Why on earth would you think that the majority of Argentinians are any more or less intelligent than the majority of citizens of the UK? How many of our citizens give a flying arse about, say, Gibraltar? Or would even be able to find it on the map?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why on earth would you think that the majority of Argentinians are any more or less intelligent than the majority of citizens of the UK? How many of our citizens give a flying arse about, say, Gibraltar? Or would even be able to find it on the map?

A lot more than you think Mr Hark.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Mainly those with connections to the services tho eh?

Not necessarily. Most people can find Spain so not that difficult to locate Gibraltar on the southern tip. A lot of Brits holiday on the Costa del Sol and the Algarve, and it's easy to fit in a trip to Gib whilst there.
We had to queue to get past the checkpoint, to get in.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why on earth would you think that the majority of Argentinians are any more or less intelligent than the majority of citizens of the UK?
I said nothing about the intelligence of UK citizens, I drew no comparison at all. The sovereignty of the Falklands has long been an issue for Argentina. Children there are taught from a young age that the islands belong to Argentina, and I would think that most Argentinians believe they should own the islands.

How many of our citizens give a flying arse about, say, Gibraltar?
Our children are not force-fed lies about the sovereignty of Gibraltar, I'm not sure why you're trying to compare them.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Here's a bit of trivia to amaze your friends with down the pub. The General Belgrano survived the Pearl Harbour attack.

#Re-writes quiz question for Friday.

Cheers, bloke. :rolleyes:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Dont think I went anywhere more than Gibraltar when in the Navy. Pretty impressive when you come in from the sea. On one visit, 27 NATO ships pulled in, bars were a nightmare.
When you enter, you have to move on one side of a buoy, British ships tend to deliberately traverse the other side, entering Spanish waters. The Spanish destroyer, known to us as 'smokey joe' (never discovered its real name) came out to us once, to challange it. HMS Devonshire turned her guns towards it, and it headed home in its traditional cloud of smoke :smile:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Here's a bit of trivia to amaze your friends with down the pub. The General Belgrano survived the Pearl Harbour attack.
So did the HMS Victory. Actually, quite a lot of ships survived that attack.

:whistle:

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I've been!

It's just like Spain.

So have I. It really isn't.

It's like a bad Toytown version of the UK designed by someone who's never been to the UK.

But with a big rock and some apes.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I said nothing about the intelligence of UK citizens, I drew no comparison at all. The sovereignty of the Falklands has long been an issue for Argentina. Children there are taught from a young age that the islands belong to Argentina, and I would think that most Argentinians believe they should own the islands.

Our children are not force-fed lies about the sovereignty of Gibraltar, I'm not sure why you're trying to compare them.

You had a ridiculous pop at 'intelligent Argies, who don't represent the majority'. How is that even intelligent comment?

And I never said anything whatsoever about anyone being force-fed lies. I just said that the political map of countries will look very very different a hundred years from now. Hard to believe an intelligent adult would think otherwise.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

The population of the Falklands is about the same size of those attending Cardinal Newman school. It really is comical in this day and age we are attempting to hold on to places like that. The Empire is long gone lads, give it up

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The removal of the ice patrol ship HMS Endurance gave the Argentinians the heads up. Im fairly sure the British government was not trying to hand over any oil deposits, as the wealth of it has been known for some time. Think it was more arrogance, and ineptitude by the government of the time, plus Thatcher and Galtieri needed a war to bolster their polical power.
I think I read that the previous time the Argentinians threatened invasion, we sent a nuclear submarine to the waters around the Falklands, and told them to fill their boots, and try.

Back in 60s, possibly before the oil discovery and during de-colonisation, there were underhand talks over a switch of sovereignty. In the early 80s they were still talking, then Galtieri had a rush of blood.

When I think of that conflict I realise how our poorly equiped forces gave everything. She had put them in a 'do or die' position. It was a combination of their brilliance and poor Argentine logistics that did it. It wasn't just Carrington who should have resigned- it was her too.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You had a ridiculous pop at 'intelligent Argies, who don't represent the majority'.
No I didn't. When a country brainwashes its citizens into believing something and the majority believe it (as I'm fairly sure they do), it takes intelligent free thinking people to go against the grain. I'm not having a pop at Argentinian citizens at all, its their leaders that tell them the lies. Just like Chinese citizens believe the Taiwan is just a part of China and not at all independent.

And I never said anything whatsoever about anyone being force-fed lies. I just said that the political map of countries will look very very different a hundred years from now.
Are you taking the piss now? Is this one of your random jokes? I never said you did say anything about being lied to. I said the Argentinians are lied to about the Falklands and that's it's a big issue there, which does not compare with how the sovereignty of Gibraltar is taught here.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The population of the Falklands is about the same size of those attending Cardinal Newman school. It really is comical in this day and age we are attempting to hold on to places like that. The Empire is long gone lads, give it up

Empires are economical these days. Look at China's gradual colonisation of Africa. They just choose not to colour the map in a new shade of pink.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No I didn't. When a country brainwashes its citizens into believing something and the majority believe it (as I'm fairly sure they do), it takes intelligent free thinking people to go against the grain. I'm not having a pop at Argentinian citizens at all, its their leaders that tell them the lies. Just like Chinese citizens believe the Taiwan is just a part of China and not at all independent.

Are you taking the piss now? Is this one of your random jokes? I never said you did say anything about being lied to. I said the Argentinians are lied to about the Falklands and that's it's a big issue there, which does not compare with how the sovereignty of Gibraltar is taught here.

Well we'll just have to agree to disagree on multiple levels then. You DO agree that the geopolitical map of the world might look just a tad different a hundred years from now and that some of the differences might just include some of our 'acquisitions' from the days when we had an empire and nicked as much or the good stuff as we could by military force, irrespective of where on the planet that good stuff happened to be?

Or, as my very good friend [MENTION=1483]London Irish[/MENTION] so succinctly - and rarely for him - put it:

The Empire is long gone lads, give it up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here