Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s meant to be 3 degrees overnight and any snow will be long gone by the morning. I’m hopeful that I’ll have a choice between Hove Park, Preston Park and Hove Prom. The first one to confirm they’re on in the morning will get my business.

RD at Hove Prom has already been on Facebook saying they’re on.....

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just seen that. It’s the first time I’ve ever seen a parkrun post a video from a car on a Friday night!

Hove Prom it is then unless either of the others can confirm they are on by the time I have to leave at 8am. I’d prefer one of the others so I hope they deliver the good news in time.

Hove Park still on the fence......decision at 8am

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
The Arsenal game meant Sunday's run became Saturday's run today. Had one of those horrible runs where you just can't get going. No reason for it, but after 6 miles I'd had enough. The planned 20 miles stopped at Costa when a large Americano and cake became too tempting. Managed 14 miles but very conscious only 5 weeks before BM.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
The Arsenal game meant Sunday's run became Saturday's run today. Had one of those horrible runs where you just can't get going. No reason for it, but after 6 miles I'd had enough. The planned 20 miles stopped at Costa when a large Americano and cake became too tempting. Managed 14 miles but very conscious only 5 weeks before BM.

I had a similar experience.

Planned to run 19 miles but that easterly wind knackered me before I’d even reached 9 miles.

I curtailed it at 15 miles in the end, putting it down to last week’s half marathon and subsequent 5 mile run home still being in the legs.

FannieMac

Jan 4, 2014
I'm doing the Brighton Marathon in April, and finished the half last week in 1:46. Do you think a sub 4 hour marathon time is possible please ?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I'm doing the Brighton Marathon in April, and finished the half last week in 1:46. Do you think a sub 4 hour marathon time is possible please ?

The classic calculation to estimate this is 1.06 *d2/d1 which would suggest you will hit 3:44

Assuming you will be doing several longer runs over the next few weeks that should give you a real feel for the pace you can run comfortably at and you can refine your target time accordingly.

Having said that with a Marathon especially anything can happen on the day weather, injury , not feeling great. Best advice is do not put any pressure on yourself with time - break the race up into 10km chunks and just take them easily - if you are still feeling great at 30km then push on - 20 miles is the halfway point in a marathon.
Most people fail to achieve a target time because they start too quick, start slow/finish strong is the way.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've had problems this week - hip, shin, knee... I've been in the gym every day, but I'm a long way short of 3 hour marathon pace. I need to step it up this week but I think I'm going to miss the target in Brighton, but I should be able to manage it this year. I have a few ideas.

100% yes - no question. But you need to do some double run days because you won't believe how your legs will feel at mile 20. This week I'm going to double run on wednesday and probably next sunday too. It's the only way to prepare yourself, but you do that - and you will be able to run sub-4.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Definitely........assuming you’ve done some endurance work and as long as you start at a sensible pace (slower than your half marathon pace by about 30s per mile).

If you want a better idea, have a look at one of the online calculators. Sure this will show you on track for something like 3.50.....

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I haven’t done a marathon yet but I now have an offer of a place for Brighton in April and I’m entered for Edinburgh in May, so I’m starting to think about what I can achieve in terms of time.

I’ve entered my HM time from last week of 1:30:58 and it is showing a predicted marathon time of 3:11:27. Surely that can’t be right? My rough aims were just to complete the first marathon and then go for sub-3:30 in the second. Am I underestimating or is that calculator far too ambitious in your opinion?

Sounds realistic (I’ve never been able to run that fast myself), albeit at the top end of realistic. That’s a very good half time......the running pals I have that are getting 1.30s or thereabouts seem to knock out marathons around 3.15. With a 1.30 half I’d think 3.30 should be well doable without too much drama.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

The classic calculation to estimate this is 1.06 *d2/d1 which would suggest you will hit 3:44

Assuming you will be doing several longer runs over the next few weeks that should give you a real feel for the pace you can run comfortably at and you can refine your target time accordingly.

Having said that with a Marathon especially anything can happen on the day weather, injury , not feeling great. Best advice is do not put any pressure on yourself with time - break the race up into 10km chunks and just take them easily - if you are still feeling great at 30km then push on - 20 miles is the halfway point in a marathon.
Most people fail to achieve a target time because they start too quick, start slow/finish strong is the way.

I ran 1.46 in 2016 and did Brighton Marathon in 4.00.06. I know it doesn't TECHNICALLY count but I stopped actually running for far more than 6 seconds, seeing my kids, tying my laces, stopping to pick up gels at the last 2 aid stations and having a sneaky walk round the power station. As [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] says I also went off FAR too quickly - I did the first HM in 1.53 and ran the first couple of miles at 8.00 instead of 8.45 - and made a few other mistakes along the way. Train hard and stay disciplined on the day and you should be in with a very good chance.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
No early Long Run for me tomorrow. Heavily fatigued so will rest. 2 weeks till marathon so a 10 miler Tuesday, if recovered, and a few shorter runs in prep.
Most surprising thing is severe muscle soreness in my upper arms and shoulders. Presume I didn't relax enough climbing this week.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I ran 1.46 in 2016 and did Brighton Marathon in 4.00.06. I know it doesn't TECHNICALLY count but I stopped actually running for far more than 6 seconds, seeing my kids, tying my laces, stopping to pick up gels at the last 2 aid stations and having a sneaky walk round the power station. As [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] says I also went off FAR too quickly - I did the first HM in 1.53 and ran the first couple of miles at 8.00 instead of 8.45 - and made a few other mistakes along the way. Train hard and stay disciplined on the day and you should be in with a very good chance.

No-one noticed [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here