Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Save Preston Park Cycle Track - slow ride this Saturday at 11am

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
So, if you aren't going to Bolton this Saturday, then get on your bike at Preston Park and help save the cycle track there.

SAVE PRESTON PARK CYCLE TRACK Brighton ! Join us on the 28th this Sat @11am at the track

http://goo.gl/C0eThJ pic.twitter.com/z0HOxwd8lP

Preston Park's cycle track is the oldest in the country, but it faces the end of the line unless the council and British Cycling can agree a package of finance to save it. Parts of it are deemed unsafe at present, and so competitive cycling has been stopped for this season at least.

This means that the youth cycling teams and others that use the track will now not be able to race.

Now, it doesn't matter what you might think about cyclists on the road, you can still support this. At a time when more people are getting into cycling and hopefully we'll see more gold medal winners and Tour de France champions like Laura Trott and Bradley Wiggins, we need grassroot facilities like these.

If the council can see this then it will help convince them to support this further. I'm sure that the Cycling Geeks will be there if they can, but if others can as well, then that would be great.

It doesn't matter what you turn up on - that old rusty BMX at the bottom of the garden will do - but if you can turn up, please do.

B8QrKsaIQAAsCyQ.jpg:large

And sign the petition if you wish.

http://present.brighton-hove.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=447&RPID=13307132&HPID=13307132.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Bouncing this back to the top for the morning commuters.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Its a fantastic resource, anyone know on what grounds British Cycling said it was unfit for purpose and what needs to be done to allow it to be used in completion again.

You would hope British cycling, lottery funding and some council spend should put this right.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Its a fantastic resource, anyone know on what grounds British Cycling said it was unfit for purpose and what needs to be done to allow it to be used in completion again.

You would hope British cycling, lottery funding and some council spend should put this right.

There are issues with some parts of the fencing and a few areas of the track. All fixable.

My understanding is that British Cycling have indicated they will support funding if the council also put their hands in their pockets too.

Due to be discussed by the council on 25 March, hence the need to put it on the council agenda.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

To her credit, Caroline Lucas has done some digging:

Dear all,

I've contacted both Brighton and Hove City Council and British Cycling about the work needed to address the safety concerns at Preston Park Velodrome. I've now been told that it will cost around £300,000 to carry out the work needed. Whilst I don’t have any direct influence in the matter, I’m asking for more information about funding avenues that might be pursued to bring the track back up to competitive racing standard, and I hope that it will be possible to identify a way forward soon.

I’ve copied below the response I’ve received from John Mills at British Cycling, which sets out the work needed to bring the track up to standard.

I hope the event this Saturday goes well, and helps to show how valued the track is within both the local and cycling communities.

Best wishes,
Caroline

Dear Caroline,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding Brighton Velodrome.

British Cycling has visited the track a number of times recently following concerns raised by user groups, predominantly related to the state of the perimeter fence. The fence was in a state of dilapidation and despite the best efforts of the Council to remedy the situation through an interim repair the facility still doesn’t meet modern safety standards.

Whilst ongoing maintenance is the responsibility of Brighton and Hove Council as owners of the facility, British Cycling have been working with the Council to establish exactly what is required. To this end British Cycling have employed, at its own cost, a company called Abacus (a Sport England Framework Partner) to undertake a condition survey of the velodrome. Abacus visited the velodrome in early February and provided a report last week, which recommends that the perimeter fence be completely replaced with a new fence that meets modern safety standards. The cost of the work is estimated to be in the region of £300k and Robert Walker of Brighton and Hove Council has been informed and has been sent a copy of the report.

With regards to grant aid, British Cycling’s Whole Sport Plan Capital Award was allocated for the development of 33 new traffic-free cycle sport facilities, as opposed to the maintenance of existing facilities, which as described above is the responsibility of the owner/operator. This doesn’t mean we wouldn’t be prepared to consider a maintenance project, particularly for a very well used existing facility such as Brighton, this would however impact on the number of new facilities we were able to build and would therefore have to be approved by Sport England and the British Cycling Board. Regardless of the nature of the project (new build or refurbishment) we would also require a minimum of 50% match funding.

With regards to funding available from within the Council, we have spoken to Robert Walker who has mentioned the possibility of accessing Section 106 and/or local car parking money. If however you are aware of any other funding which may be available locally please feel free to let us know.

I hope this update is helpful but if you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me again. In the meantime we will continue to work with Robert Walker at the Council to try and find a satisfactory solution.

Kind regards,

John

John Mills
Coaching, Education and Development Director

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
So reading that would I be right on thinking that all is okay bar the perimeter fence. Its a green shoulder hight metal hatched fence, with a few gateways.

£300,000, and it is not stated what the safety features of the fence are.

It would be worth having another opinion and seeing if there is a cheaper way to just upgrade the current fencing.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
So reading that would I be right on thinking that all is okay bar the perimeter fence. Its a green shoulder hight metal hatched fence, with a few gateways.

£300,000, and it is not stated what the safety features of the fence are.

It would be worth having another opinion and seeing if there is a cheaper way to just upgrade the current fencing.

I think the fact that it is a shoulder length metal hatched fence is part of the issue. If you hit one of those at 40mph it's not going to be good for you. I haven't seen the full report.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Bouncing back up for tomorrow.

11am if you can join. At the track.

Thanks all.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
This is fantastic facility, which I have memories o ffrom40 years ago. I struggle to see how this fencing will cost £300,000. Strange that a velodrome is threatened by a green council, lets hope there is a resolution here, as the entre of the velodrome is used for many other activities.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Has anyone from the club actually hurt themselves on the fence?

Not at Preston Park, but a guy in Portsmouth was killed when he hit the fence at a velodrome with a similar fencing structure. That is what has resulted in British Cycling reviewing all the fencing at velodromes in the UK.

They are replacing fencing at all of theirs. The issue with Preston Park is that they don't own the facility, the council do. This is why they are not prepared to foot the entire bill for the fencing.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
The Brighton round of southern regional omnium will be hosted in Reading at Palmer Park Velo this year, because Brighton can not host it. Its such a shame, my daughter did her first ever competitive fixed wheel race at Preston Park when she was six. The Youth omnium is a great series and the atmosphere at the events is really nice. When my daughter raced at Brighton it was great because all my family would come and watch. I really hope they get it fixed.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Better things for the council to be spending money on this, let the people who use it fund it

Well lets close all the council owned museums, libraries, parks, tennis courts, recreation facilities - or just let the people who use them fund them!?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here