Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Poor Serena

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
On a related issue, Caroline Flint (MP) on the BBC politics programme today blamed a lot of the Brexit fall-out on 'willy-waving' by men. (I'm not sure - for obvious reasons - that there's an equivalent sexist remark that could be applied to women but I bet if there was one and that it had been deployed then there would be a bit of a fuss about it.)

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
And you completely ignore the single image drawn with huge lips. Well done you.

Do you even understand how caricatures work?

Exaggerating prominent features is literally the basis of that drawing style.

If someone was going to caricature the shape of her face her nose and lips are the most prominent features of HER face.

Yes he could draw a more flattering caricature, the point I believe was to make her seem ugly because her behaviour was ugly.

Probably the first and last time you will see this on one of your posts, but well said...

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
This popped up on twitter timeline today. It's Serena in some god awful comedy sketch - you wont get the time back - where Amélie Mauresmo is portrayed by a bloke. I'm not sure where this fits into the whole women's rights thing but I'm sure it's fine because she's white, French and a bit big innit.

[Tweet]1039168112485167104[/tweet]

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
At that end of elite sport, my observation is they are always bad losers - which is one the reasons I can't get into anything other than team sports. It's all about them - which is fine, but I don't really understand my involvement in it as a spectator.

I'm also completely prejudiced against any sport where the spectators are expected to be quiet at certain points.

That cartoon however I found incredibly unsettling, sorry. You can argue to death with me about accentuating features but that completely ignores the history of representing black people and for instance Jewish people too.

Belongs to a different time.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
This popped up on twitter timeline today. It's Serena in some god awful comedy sketch - you wont get the time back - where Amélie Mauresmo is portrayed by a bloke. I'm not sure where this fits into the whole women's rights thing but I'm sure it's fine because she's white, French and a bit big innit.

[Tweet]1039168112485167104[/tweet]

This is so bad on a number of levels.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
On a related issue, Caroline Flint (MP) on the BBC politics programme today blamed a lot of the Brexit fall-out on 'willy-waving' by men. (I'm not sure - for obvious reasons - that there's an equivalent sexist remark that could be applied to women but I bet if there was one and that it had been deployed then there would be a bit of a fuss about it.)

Meltdown more like.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
At that end of elite sport, my observation is they are always bad losers - which is one the reasons I can't get into anything other than team sports. It's all about them - which is fine, but I don't really understand my involvement in it as a spectator.

I'm also completely prejudiced against any sport where the spectators are expected to be quiet at certain points.

That cartoon however I found incredibly unsettling, sorry. You can argue to death with me about accentuating features but that completely ignores the history of representing black people and for instance Jewish people too.

Belongs to a different time.

So we completely ban a genre of art because if you can't do a caricature of people from a certain ethnic background because surely that itself is racist as you treating people differently because of their ethnicity!

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
So we completely ban a genre of art because if you can't do a caricature of people from a certain ethnic background because surely that itself is racist as you treating people differently because of their ethnicity!

Saying that you find a cartoon distasteful/unsettling etc is different from saying it should be banned. I also find the Serena Williams cartoon unpleasant. As I did Charlie Hebdo's work, and the mural that Corbyn got in trouble over. As ever, context matters (as hard as you may want to pretend to yourself that it doesn't). I am not in favour of censorship, but very much in favour of people being able to express their views in response to anything you, as an 'artist', choose to put out there.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
It is, and in a way it is only fair if the pendulum swings the other way. But on the other hand, I know I have no chance of a committee post on a professional body I belong to because they want to go younger and more racially diverse and have more women represented. But it's not my fault they only picked white males before though, is it?

For what it is worth, I am in a similar position in the sector I work in. But I am self aware enough to I know that I'd still have had a far harder time over the course of my career had I been born differently. I'm not particularly clever, have no exceptional skills and haven't worked all that hard, but I've still done pretty well. I am pretty much the very definition of male white privilege. I also happen to benefit hugely from living in a country made rich in large part through slavery and colonialism. So overall I reckon I come out with more to be grateful for than to complain about and reckon it's always worth keeping that in mind.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So J K Rowling says this cartoon is racist and people are losing their shit over it.

Seems spot on.

View attachment 100463

I agree with the sentiment of the cartoon but am uncomfortable with it playing up to the "sambo" cartoon sterotypes, making her out to be some sort of hefty mama with absolutely massive lips.

Just the sort of lack of sensitivity you might expect from an Australian though - it would have been a much better cartoon had the artist avoided that.

She is a hefty woman with big lips however. Isn't that physically obvious?

Serena is obviously (and logically) sketched as the 'baddie' of the piece. You claim the sketch is 'spot on', but if ALL the artist is doing here is accentuating her physical characteristics, and not deliberately making any racial comment, can you explain why the (half Japanese / half African American) 'goodie' is sketched as a pretty blonde, and why the (Portuguese) arbiter of the rules is sketched as a white man?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Serena is obviously (and logically) sketched as the 'baddie' of the piece. If ALL the artist is doing here is accentuating her physical characteristics, and not deliberately making any racial comment, can you explain why the (half Japanese / half African American) 'goodie' is sketched as a pretty blonde, and why the (Portuguese) arbiter of the rules is sketched as a white man?
I had let this go. After all, remember Biggums is a clown who can't see why most same people intensely dislike Trump. He's a lost cause. :shrug:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm afraid white males can't win on this one. If we call it as we see it, we're going to be accused of being racist and/or sexist. Somehow Williams imagines she was standing up for women by ranting at an umpire for applying rules and playing the 'I've just had a daughter' card - which isn't sexist in itself? How did Naomi Osaka's rights not to have her first Grand Slam victory overshadowed by Serena's hissy fits play into the whole Williams entitlement thing?

The first time I reported on Serena Williams was on Wimbledon court 16, when she retired injured when a set and 4-1 down to Virginie Ruano Pascual (no, me neither). The injury hadn't been that obvious, as I remember, and she insisted that she would have won otherwise. Somehow she recovered enough to win the mixed doubles title with Max Myrni. The upshot was that I've always seen her as a bad loser (not that she's had much practice, to be fair) and a poor sport and very little has ever happened to make me change my mind. When she loses it's because the world is against her. Venus I've always found to be distant but not unpleasant, although the international tennis media find them both hard to like. A very well-known tennis writer once said to me: 'If only they weren't black, then we could write what we really think about them.'

Can't argue with any of this.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Serena is obviously (and logically) sketched as the 'baddie' of the piece. You claim the sketch is 'spot on', but if ALL the artist is doing here is accentuating her physical characteristics, and not deliberately making any racial comment, can you explain why the (half Japanese / half African American) 'goodie' is sketched as a pretty blonde, and why the (Portuguese) arbiter of the rules is sketched as a white man?

The Japanese girl has blonde highlights in her hair. It's as if you've joined in without knowing that.

Dm0SvGtUwAA7Y06.jpg

As for the other point, why wouldn't a white Portuguese person be portrayed as white? They are white Caucasians.

Are you saying this man isn't a white man?

carlos-ramos-5-things-tco-know-about-ump-who-fought-with-serena-williams-at-us-open-ftr.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The Japanese girl has blonde highlights in her hair. It's as if you've joined in without knowing that.

View attachment 100507

Ha. You absolute tool. I'm quite a fan of ladies' tennis, as it goes. I know very well what Naomi Osaka looks like, thanks.

If you're really trying to pretend that the Sharapova-like, skinny white blonde in the sketch, is his genuine take on her physical appearance, then you are truly very stupid indeed.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Ha. You absolute tool. I'm quite a fan of ladies' tennis, as it goes. I know very well what Naomi Osaka looks like, thanks.

If you're really trying to pretend that the Sharapova-like, skinny white blonde in the sketch, is his genuine take on her physical appearance, then you are truly very stupid indeed.

The Osaka character is a shade lighter than the umpire. Think he got her chin spot on.

Have you not noticed that Serena isn't as dark skinned as she naturally is? Funny how cartoon caricatures don't always portray the person exactly as how they appear in real life.

By the way why didn't you respond to the part you raised about portraying the umpire as white?

Is it because you were the idiot and made that silly point? You'd think being such a BIG fan of tennis you'd know such a prominent ref is a white dude.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The Osaka character is a shade lighter than the umpire. Think he got her chin spot on.

Have you not noticed that Serena isn't as dark skinned as she naturally is? Funny how cartoon caricatures don't always portray the person exactly as how they appear in real life.

By the way why didn't you respond to the part you raised about portraying the umpire as white?

Is it because you were the idiot and made that silly point? You'd think being such a BIG fan of tennis you'd know such a prominent ref is a white dude.

Oh lord.

The umpire is 'white', yes, but nothing like the colouring the artist has chosen with which to represent him.

The opponent figure is very, very clearly NOT a sketch of Naomi Osaka. Osaka is a stocky black girl, not a tall blonde white girl, with long blonde hair.

We may as well stop here, because it is impossible to have a rational exchange with somebody who will LITERALLY argue that black is white.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That small figure in a baseball cap with blonde highlighted hair sticking out of the back of it is Sharapova-like? OK, whatever. It just looks like a small figure in a baseball cap with blonde highlighted hair sticking out (i.e. Williams opponent) to me.
Given that Williams is 5'9" though, depicting her opponent as about 2 foot nothing is blatantly sizeist. Disgraceful. I am offended (not for myself, but on behalf of anyone I think ought to be offended).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here