Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone 6 / iPhone 6 Plus / Apple Watch

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't know what the iPad is like now but I got shot of mine mainly because it was cumbersome and you could only have one window open at a time. Most people just let their kids play on them don't they? About all they are good for.

Use mine all the time. Use if for NSC when at home, as a TV / Radio / Kindle on the train to work and for blogging / emailing articles on the move. It will become my stereo when Mrs GB buys me my Sonos for my birthday. Yes, the kids borrow it when I need to shut them up but I have got more use out of my pad than my phone.

geeks do not make a viable mass consumer market. the fitness sector shows there's a demand for "wearable" devices, but also that there's already a lot of competition, offering far cheaper solutions. one comment i read said they aren't going to ditch their trusty, well-battered running watch, for an expensive Apple device that would break. i know a sample of one, but illustrates the problem of that market need robust devices. the tech has been available for years, why isn't there other uses? because everyone has a smartphone, and they don't really need a remote control for it.

I'd much prefer the Nike+ Fuel Band.
Looks neater (imo) and does all the fitness stuff I'd need as well as sync very well to the iPhone
Oh, and it's about £200.00 cheaper.

HE382

Apple Store - Fuel Band

So wearables are fine, it's just the apple one that's unproven?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't know what the iPad is like now but I got shot of mine mainly because it was cumbersome and you could only have one window open at a time. Most people just let their kids play on them don't they? About all they are good for.

Absolute lifesaver if you like spending time with your partner but want to watch different things.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So wearables are fine, it's just the apple one that's unproven?

i see a big hype around "wearables" that seems to think we are on the verge of some Big New Thing and Apples iWatch is part of that hype. we've had wearable technology for literally decades, mostly in the form of the watch. we've also had an unhyped range of wearables as health/fitness devices for many years. iWatch doesn't provide anything new in this space and is poor to useless for many specific use cases. add the fact that its tied to an iPhone and really you see that its little more than a remote control. for a phone that you have in your pocket/bag.

yes, unproven, not just Apple, but any of these wrist bound smart phone extensions. the only wearable i really see as creating real demand is the head display, still tethered to a smart phone as primary input (forget voice, not going to work in public or offices), providing permanent and easy display. i struggle, as apparently do the inventors of the world, to see another practical wearable device.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I've never found an iPad cumbersome... My mini gets used a heck of a lot around the house ...etc..media wise it gets used out of the house ..etc etc

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
But Nike have stopped doing the FuelBand. One would guess that as a close partner of Apple's they knew what Apple were doing and would go 'all in' on that instead.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/nike-fires-fuelband-engineers-will-stop-making-wearable-hardware/

Off topic but is there any reason why NSC seems to suddenly make my Chrome browser crash? Doesn't happen on any other site. Interestingly it freezes Opera too, though no such problems with Safari. Am on a Macbook Pro.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
But Nike have stopped doing the FuelBand.

I've got an iPad mini (1st gen). They're not 'doing' that anymore but it'll still remain usable for the next couple of years or so.

Regardless, I'm only looking for a fitness tracker, ideally one that works well with Apple and the fuel band looks like it'll do the trick.

Update, April 19th, 2:34 PM:*In a statement sent to*Recode,*Nike*state that the FuelBand SE remains "an important part" of their business going forward. "We will continue to improve the Nike+ FuelBand App, launch new METALUXE colors, and we will sell and support the Nike+ FuelBand SE for the foreseeable future." However, it's still not clear if the company plans on releasing new hardware in the near future.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
CAn anyone rememeber what time pre-orders normally start for Apple? I remember last time that they sold out within an hour of being on sale but I can't remember if it was a case of stay up until midnight or wait until the morning to pre-order.

8.00 I believe.

Thanks, looks like I'll be getting into work early on friday then.

Just had another look around and a lot of people are saying midnight. :shrug:

Midnight online.
08:00 in store.

I think it will be 8am here, it goes on pre sale midnight pacific time, which is 8 am here, can't see it going on pre sale here before the states !

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
I think it will be 8am here, it goes on pre sale midnight pacific time, which is 8 am here, can't see it going on pre sale here before the states !

Good point!
Can anyone clarify this so I don't stay up til midnight on a school night when I don't need to.
I know it's sad but I've been holding off on getting an upgrade for the last 3 months til this came out and don't want to miss the boat if they temporarily sell out ( cos I don't think the old iphone 3 will last much longer!)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

They certainly do with retail sales. Stores open up at 9am (or whatever UK time). The shops don't open at 3:59am on the East Coast to 'beat' us. Likewise the Japanese get to go before us...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So you reckon midnight ? Late night for me then, and an early start if it's not !

Not sure, sorry. I was just indicating that i don't think there's anything to the "they'll sell it in the States first/at the same time" theory.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm waiting for midnight and am going for 64gb 6, can't decide between space grey or silver though...

My iPhone 5 is 'space grey' (black). It lived some of it's life in a case and the last 9 months or so I went crazy and have carried it naked. Even when in the case, little bits of grit and stuff must have got in and taken small bits out of the grey/black coating and that's continued whilst case-less. It's not terrible, but noticeable.

Now, I obviously don't know if they've made any improvements to the application of the colouring in the new phones, but i suspect not. As such, I wouldn't go grey/black again as I'm pretty sure that in silver, most of the little nicks I have wouldn't be noticeable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here