Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your predictions for the Albion's upcoming transfer window.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Cover for Bruno

That would depend on how close to a return Liam Rosenior is, I'd say.

Although I fully expect him to take Bong's starting place once fit.

We have further right back cover in Hunt and Goldson.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Not sure if either is possible, but if they are, my predictions would be:

1. Murray's loan signing converted into a full transfer
2. Return of Ulloa

Fantastic if Murray remained on a full transfer but, I hope, the club would not pay the silly money (£10m) being quoted for Ulloa who is now topside of 30.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
IN: Jerome Sinclair from Watford on loan as cover for Baldock.
Can't see us being interested in bringing Ulloa back. We have Murray (who I could see us signing permanently) and Hemed to play centrally and two with a track record as scorers should be enough.
Zak Clough would be an interesting option but I don't think it likely to happen. I do think we need an attacking midfielder. We've got the resource to bring a 3rd man into midfield to defend a lead but need to be able to put someone in there to chase a game. Towell may be that man but if not it makes sense to get someone in.

OUT: LuaLua and Ince on loan. Manu offloaded if we can.

Talented player but only 5'7" tall

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Elvis to Charlton on loan could perhaps happen as Robinson was interested when at MKDons.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I do not think that Bongs place in the team is in any doubt whatsoever if CH was concerned about him Pocognoli would have been pushed on. When fit I see LR as being on the bench to cover most defensive positions or to be brought on to hold a lead and even used as a defensive midfielder in some away games.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I can see someone like Hull or West Brom signing Ulloa. I don't think he would need to drop down a division, nor would I want to pay top money for him

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I do not think that Bongs place in the team is in any doubt whatsoever if CH was concerned about him Pocognoli would have been pushed on. When fit I see LR as being on the bench to cover most defensive positions or to be brought on to hold a lead and even used as a defensive midfielder in some away games.

You are fully entitled to your wrong opinion.

On Bong's current patchy form, a fully fit Rosenior would be a shoo-in.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

We must agree to disagree as I said if CH was concerned Pocognoli would be in. It was interesting to hear LR on Albion Roar when not once did he mention playing left back as he said he started at right wing and moved back although he has played left back. I do not see it as his greatest wish to be playing there also he restricts the atracking influence on the left being right footed.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

The beauty of Rosenior being fit is we can give Bruno and Bong a rest and not lose anything on the pitch ( in my opinion be stronger ) keeping all 3 fresh, going into a very busy period of fixtures.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005

It's truly amazing how we have the best defence in the league with such a shit defender. I guess it helps that bongs hoof clearances and hacked crosses are deflected into the opponent's goal and he somehow is given the assist

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
It's truly amazing how we have the best defence in the league with such a shit defender. I guess it helps that bongs hoof clearances and hacked crosses are deflected into the opponent's goal and he somehow is given the assist

Bong isn't a 'shit defender', and I've never suggested anything of the sort. Try reading back through my last thirty match reports and see if you can find a single shred of unjustified criticism of him.

He's a decent athlete, and he has a good left foot - which is very beneficial, especially in forward areas. He is not however the most solid or reliable of footballers (in the purest sense). He will misplace more passes, and turn over possession far more often than Rosenior will. Against decent sides like in the last two home games we have been fortunate not to be undone by that carelessness.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In the last 2 games he was against possibly the best 2 wide right players we will face in Adomah and Aluko and IMHO he played them both very well keeping them wide and not allowing them to come inside him many times. I do not think LR would have done as well or better but it is an unanswerable point just an opinion as are most points from supporters.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

I'm inclined to agree, any news on when Rosenior is due back?

I wouldn't be fully confident with either Hunt or Goldson at RB if Bruno picked up a knock. Which is why, Rosenior injury depending, I can see us bringing in a solid RB with Championship or PL experience.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We won't see any of the usual match-day squad leaving.
Ince, LuaLua and Manu will go either permanently or on loan.

I can't even begin to think of who might be coming in.
I agree, but there is no way we'll reduce the overall squad size from the current 26.

Last season for the playoffs we were so short of players all the talk was of whether JFC, Crofts, O'Grady etc. were available for recall from their loans.

We won't want the same situation if we have an injury and suspension crisis in the 2nd half of the season.

Every OUT must have a replacement IN.

Elvis OUT, new striker IN is a good start.

Ince OUT for court case, young midfielder IN would also seem wise.

LuaLua only OUT if a further striker/winger is brought IN.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Bong isn't a 'shit defender', and I've never suggested anything of the sort. Try reading back through my last thirty match reports and see if you can find a single shred of unjustified criticism of him.

He's a decent athlete, and he has a good left foot - which is very beneficial, especially in forward areas. He is not however the most solid or reliable of footballers (in the purest sense). He will misplace more passes, and turn over possession far more often than Rosenior will. Against decent sides like in the last two home games we have been fortunate not to be undone by that carelessness.

Disagree. He is a solid, physically very strong, committed and mobile full back with quality delivery on his left foot. Defensively he rarely gets beaten, stops more crosses than he doesn't and has made some pretty critical blocks of late.

If we use Bruno as comparison then obviously it's a pointless discussion, as Bruno is such a cultured footballer whereas Bong is a bit 'rough around the edges'. That said he does have certain attributes over Bruno and indeed over Rosenior. For all of Bruno's quality, correct me if i'm wrong, he is yet to chalk up an assist this season? Whereas Bong, from memory must have a handful.

He has not misplaced passes as you describe unless you count long balls down the left which haven't paid off. His primary weakness is being pressed and caught in possession and being forced inside on his right foot, which teams have identified, often with 2 forward players closing him down and limiting his options very quickly. This is not a slight on the player, they just know if they do that to Bruno he can play his way out of it. This often results in Bong playing it safe by passing back to LD/DS and cue people calling him shit.

I love Liam Rosenior, he's a quality all-round footballer and his professionalism is really something to admire, but to describe him as a shoo-in for Bong is just bollocks and i'm almost entirely certain that CH rates Bong very highly based on his physicality alone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here