Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sun suspend Kelvin Mackenzie

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I used to buy the sun donkeys years ago.

Either start at the back and read the sport then flip over to oggle page 3, or start on page 3 then go and wash my hands and flip it over to the sport. Didn't bother with the rest, apparently its not half the paper it used today.

anygivensunday

Jul 5, 2012
Singapore
Have we got to the point where each journalist has to check the family tree of the person they are writing about. A grandfather is a touch to far back to be offended. And the drug dealers "joke" is just that, a joke. Everybody is so scared to offend scousers it offends me !

For reference, I can't stand Kelvin McKenzie. But please dont tell me what newspaper I can and can't read :rolleyes:

I won't, but if you read the Sun I can think you're a ****.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Have we got to the point where each journalist has to check the family tree of the person they are writing about. A grandfather is a touch to far back to be offended. And the drug dealers "joke" is just that, a joke. Everybody is so scared to offend scousers it offends me !

For reference, I can't stand Kelvin McKenzie. But please dont tell me what newspaper I can and can't read :rolleyes:

I suspect that Kelvin MacKenzie knew his background but his hatred for all things Liverpool clouded his judgement.

I have no problem with journalists mocking Liverpool and their victim mentality but MacKenzie shouldn't go near there when he has been found to be so wrong with his coverage of the Hillsborough disaster. Because of what happened, he should have more sense to go there and so should The Sun.

Kelvin MacKenzie is a **** who should never be employed by a newspaper again. I suspect that he will turn up on a right wing internet site.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
It comes as no surprise to me that after the reporting of Hillsborough and the phone hacking scandal of Millie Dowler that the Sun (NotW -- dress it up however you want still the same scummy rag) would publish such words.

This sorry smells of MacKenzie holding a grudge fueled by hate and bitterness at the people of Liverpool.

The words of a old, tired, sad man (MacKenzie's not mine).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Great to see kelvin mackenzie get suspended, great to see the sun look stupid, but i highly doubt Mackenzie was being deliberately racist

Deliberate racists are full-on fascists, and they tend to be vocal and utterly transparent. Those that are also racists but aren't aware of it are often the most dangerous as they often make racism appear acceptable. Kelvin MacKenzie has some serious form, especially with regard to Liverpool.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He had his glory days, sticking it to the left in th 80s, helped break the printing unions bullying tactics.

If his glory days were in the 1980s then they included defaming 96 dead football fans and many who went to help them,

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
He wrote: "Perhaps unfairly, I have always judged Ross Barkley as one of our dimmest footballers."There is something about the lack of reflection in his eyes which makes me certain not only are the lights not on, there is definitely nobody at home.

"I get a similar feeling when seeing a gorilla at the zoo. The physique is magnificent but it's the eyes that tell the story.

"So it came as no surprise to me that the Everton star copped a nasty right-hander in a nightclub for allegedly eyeing up an attractive young lady who, as they say, was 'spoken for'."The reality is that at £60,000 a week and being both thick and single, he is an attractive catch in the Liverpool area, where the only men with similar pay packets are drug dealers and therefore not at nightclubs, as they are often guests of Her Majesty."

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Deliberate racists are full-on fascists, and they tend to be vocal and utterly transparent. Those that are also racists but aren't aware of it are often the most dangerous as they often make racism appear acceptable. Kelvin MacKenzie has some serious form, especially with regard to Liverpool.

That's a pretty dangerous view in itself as it allows people to be condemned purely on the basis of accusation. No evidence required and an ever changing perception of what it is that is racist. It is the stuff of witch hunts and leads to resentment against the establishment leading the way. This then gives us Donald Trump and so the cycle continues.
FWIW though, in this case, I do think Mackenzie's article was racist and unpleasant. There's no 'hidden racism' in comparing someone to a gorilla.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I loathe The Sun, wouldn't wipe my arse with it, and the crocodile tears apologies they've given to Liverpool are shown to be hollow by the continued employment of Mackenzie at a £300k a year columnist. The timing and content of his article shows the contempt both parties have for Liverpool.

Joe Anderson, the Liverpool mayor who reported the comments to the police, is an opportunist politician (like most of them). His decision for the local council to act as guarantor for Everton's borrowing in relation to their proposed new £300 million stadium is unusual (Joe is however a big Everton fan).

Personally I wouldn't ban Sun journalists from the club, if such a decision was going to be made it should have taken place 28 years ago. This smacks of a PR move made under political pressure.

As for Barkley, he's a professional footballer and should be judged on that skill set rather than his academic ability.

After all, we don't judge Kelvin Mackenzie on his football talents, but as a fat 70 year old bigot who shagged his secretary and wrote some appalling lies about the Hillsbrough disaster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here