Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Moyes to be SACKED over comments

How do we know that Vicki Sparks wasn't offended?

All we know is that David Moyes says he apologised to her and that he said that she accepted his apology.

Given that Vicki Sparks hasn't spoken publicly about this herself, we are having to take Moyes' word for it, but his recollection and perspective of the conversation he had with her could, in fact, be entirely different to hers.

And even if she did accept his apology, that doesn't necessarily mean she regarded his comments as acceptable and "part of the job".

You carry on being offended on her behalf then, I won't be offended if you do btw.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Luckily the posters on here in need of a slap are advocates. There'll be no complaints.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot understand all the fuss being made about this as it was obviously a remark said with no intent or real threat. Perhaps it was a silly remark to make but she has accepted his apology so that should be the end of the matter as I see it. Bigger concern should be the performances of Sunderland team which could result in him getting the sack.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Apparently, Sparks said "This town ain't big enough for the both of us.":rock:

I cannot understand all the fuss being made about this as it was obviously a remark said with no intent or real threat. Perhaps it was a silly remark to make but she has accepted his apology so that should be the end of the matter as I see it. Bigger concern should be the performances of Sunderland team which could result in him getting the sack.

1mncxs.jpg

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes I did listen to it and actually it changed how I thought about it.

When I first read a summary of what Moyes said, I thought it was a bit of an overreaction and that it was Moyes being clumsy in what he said.

Listening to it, yes it is clear that Moyes' tone is jocular and on the surface, he is trying to give the impression that the words are in jest.

However, the words along the lines of "do that again and you will get a slap even though you are a woman" and "be careful if you want to come back here again", there is something unpleasant about even thinking it is appropriate to say that in the context of a joke. It is belittling in tone, almost saying "who do you think you are asking me these questions?" or "don't have the temerity to ask me a difficult question".

I work in an office where most of my colleagues are women. Like any office, there is banter and repartee between colleagues. Would I say to a colleague "you are asking for a slap" if they were pushing their luck though? No, because that crosses a boundary I think of what is acceptable to say to a female colleague in a professional environment. David Moyes is not a colleague of Vicki Sparks', but he is talking to her in a professional capacity and so he should really follow the same guidelines on how he interacts with her.

These types of incidents are scrutinised a lot more now than they were before the days of 24 hour news media and so there is a natural tendency to think everything is blown out of proportion. But with that, people should also know that they are more likely to be picked up on stuff and moderate what they say and how they behave.

The unspoken issue with this is that a lot of people that will dismiss this as a storm in a teacup are possibly subconsciously thinking "what business has a woman got asking David Moyes that question?". One only needs to go on Twitter and realise that there are plenty of people out there who think like this and who think it acceptable to air those viewpoints on social media, not caring that they are sharing those thoughts with the Twittosphere.

Your last paragraph seems pretentious garbage. Just because there are neanderthals on twitter that might think that don't tar everyone with the same brush. Some women, in my experience most, appreciate it when a door is held open for them. On the other hand there are some that take great exception to that kind of gesture and make a big noise about it. Should people not hold a door open for fear of offending a very delicate minority and the majority lose the benefit of good manners. For what it's worth, I don't think the question was out of order and nothing like the stupid question asked of Mourinho just because he had a laugh with Pullis!

As for some of the other comments, David Moyes may not be a working colleague of Vicky Sparks but what we don't know is how often their paths cross during their working lives. I don't know but I guess they see each other regularly as this was following a home game and no doubt if she is a reporter in that area she'll have reason to be do interviews there often. I don't know but will surmise that they are not complete strangers.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I don't know but I guess they see each other regularly as this was following a home game and no doubt if she is a reporter in that area she'll have reason to be do interviews there often. I don't know but will surmise that they are not complete strangers.

Pretentious. Moi?

As Vicki Sparks works for Radio Newcastle as well as for the BBC at national level, it is quite likely she will regularly cover Sunderland games, so yes I'd imagine they are acquainted. And it's because she is likely to be covering more games there in the future that she won't want to be uncomfortable interviewing Moyes again and so this situation puts in her in a bit of a compromising position.

Also, if Ian Herbert at the Independent is to be taken at his word, it would seem this isn't an isolated incident for Moyes - http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...vicki-sparks-sunderland-sacking-a7665236.html .

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Pretentious. Moi?

As Vicki Sparks works for Radio Newcastle as well as for the BBC at national level, it is quite likely she will regularly cover Sunderland games, so yes I'd imagine they are acquainted. And it's because she is likely to be covering more games there in the future that she won't want to be uncomfortable interviewing Moyes again and so this situation puts in her in a bit of a compromising position.

Also, if Ian Herbert at the Independent is to be taken at his word, it would seem this isn't an isolated incident for Moyes - http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...vicki-sparks-sunderland-sacking-a7665236.html .

How do you know that she is going to feel uncomfortable interviewing him again? From what i could see from the footage she was still laughing when she said it so it is just as likely that she has accepted his apology and has moved on.

Until I hear different I am willing to give Moyes the benefit of the doubt and accept his apology at face value. Of course I fully accept that what I think is neither here nor there and the only person whose opinion really matters in this matter is Vicki Sparks.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
How do you know that she is going to feel uncomfortable interviewing him again, from what i could see from the footage she was still laughing when she said it so it is just as likely that she has accepted his apology and has moved on.

Because we're making the assumption that she has accepted his apology on the basis that a man trying to save face has said that he made an apology and she accepted. We don't know this to be true because Vicki Sparks has not confirmed this herself.

Also, just because someone laughs at something, doesn't necessarily mean they enjoyed the joke/banter. I saw the footage and it came across as nervous laughter to me. Laughter where the recipient laughs it off to be polite and because they don't want a confrontation, not because they thought David Moyes was the second coming of Tommy Cooper.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Pretentious. Moi?

You have made the assumption on her behalf that she will be uncomfortable in that situation again!! Good for you.

As for the article, do we assume from that that Moyes has never made a comment to a male journalist in the whole of his career? I'm not condoning the joke he made that went flat as I don't know what he said but it was 5 years ago!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Because we're making the assumption that she has accepted his apology on the basis that a man trying to save face has said that he made an apology and she accepted. We don't know this to be true because Vicki Sparks has not confirmed this herself.

Also, just because someone laughs at something, doesn't necessarily mean they enjoyed the joke/banter. I saw the footage and it came across as nervous laughter to me. Laughter where the recipient laughs it off to be polite and because they don't want a confrontation, not because they thought David Moyes was the second coming of Tommy Cooper.

And because someone laughs at something it can also mean they see the funny side. Personally, I don't think it was nervous laughter at all but we'll never agree on that.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

True enough, with this in mind I am happy to wait for her to comment on her side of the story before comdemning or supporting David Moyes. At this stage we are all going on our interpretation of the situation which will obviously differ widely and is really no basis for opinion. My suspicion here is the reason that Vicki Sparks has not commented on the situation is that she would like to move on from it. As you say this is all based on assuption and perception.

In these situations I find that it is better to err on the side of caution and give people the benefit of the doubt.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Wow! You really are the epitome of 'offended on someone else's behalf'. Well done for taking it to a new level.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You're still catching [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION]

:fishing:

People are having a discussion about a topic that is in the press currently. The fact the event happened some time ago is immaterial, it is currently part of the news headlines. Now if you have no interest in the topic.......

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Moyes unreservedly apologised. If he is an honest man, then he too believes his behaviour wasn't acceptable. Why are people defending it, if Moyes himself has accepted it was wrong?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here