Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread - 2017

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It's a great album. Some comparing it to Savages but it's much better. Looking forward to seeing them live.

I'm at that John Cale does the Velvets thing in Liverpool the night they play Brighton which is a shame.

Savages seems an extremely lazy comparison to me. Savages are super tight, ultra serious and almost utilitarian in their approach, obviously borne out of British post-punk. Priests are fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun, they've got the riot-grrrl spunk about them that so many D.C bands do without the musical amateurism.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I'm at that John Cale does the Velvets thing in Liverpool the night they play Brighton which is a shame.

Savages seems an extremely lazy comparison to me. Savages are super tight, ultra serious and almost utilitarian in their approach, obviously borne out of British post-punk. Priests are fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun, they've got the riot-grrrl spunk about them that so many D.C bands do without the musical amateurism.

it was the Pitchfork review which mentioned Savages and initially drew my attention to the album in the first place. Shame you can't make it to see them.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
it was the Pitchfork review which mentioned Savages and initially drew my attention to the album in the first place. Shame you can't make it to see them.

Ah "there hasn’t been a punk debut this certain and poised since Savages’ Silence Yourself." Yeah, that's fair. I don't think the bands are similar in style really but that's right, it's mega confident and full of tunes. Much like 'Silence Yourself' was. Fair enough.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Battling with the Dutch Uncles new album. Some tracks are punchier or complicated than the last album which I really enjoyed. Other tracks seem more confused. I'll keep going as I like their sound.

I saw the new Arca Lp is out in April yip yip, and the JLin album will be out by summer hopefully.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Whilst I'm here, this seems a good place to let the good people of NSC know that my debut full-album V.O.T.T.O.L. is out today as stream, download and CD via Bandcamp (link below).

https://damselfly1.bandcamp.com/album/vottol

Of local interest, A Hunter Gathers is a meditation on / tribute to the Shoreham Airshow Crash 11, The Harrow Ways is inspired by the South Downs and Boar's Head Waltz is for Lowther's Lambs / The Royal Sussex Regiment.

I hope some of you enjoy the music, feel free to let me know what you think (good or bad, it's all character building!)

Cheers,

Darren

Have had this beautiful piece of multi-layered ambience on more or less a permanent loop for a couple of days now. It's everything I hoped it would be.

An astoundingly accomplished debut album.

:bowdown:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Have had this beautiful piece of multi-layered ambience on more or less a permanent loop for a couple of days now. It's everything I hoped it would be.

An astoundingly accomplished debut album.

:bowdown:

Really glad you're enjoying the album THPP, thanks for your support.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A couple more singles from female artists with new albums out soon.

Soley 'Never Cry Moon'. She's one of my favourite Icelandic musicians and her brand of melancholy folky-pop hits all the right notes with me. Her first album is one that still blows me away after all these years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MldkxRy6BA8

Marika Hackman 'Boyfriend'. Another folky inclined singer although this track is a lot harder edged and mainstream, it's got quite a Britpop feel to it IMO. Only trouble is that whenever I watch this video, the way she looks with her hair, that t-shirt and guitar I'm reminded of the video to MMMBop by Hanson and the brother who sang lead vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyVBFCmTuUM

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You wait for one brilliant female singer/songwriter to release a single and then three turn up at once. Laura Marling's latest single here and it sounds like she's been listening to a fair bit of Chrissie Hynde. Love the guitars in this song. Adele may have the better voice but Laura Marling is the complete package.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fgyr7-RciE

Staying with the ladies...I'm also quite taken with Lana Del Ray's new single. It's got no surprises there but she has a style and she's bloody good at it. I know she's not very fashionable but I do like her.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Airing_Cupboard/mix-25/

Another mix of stuff from the last month or so.

Tracklist
Gulp - Search for your love
Tomorrow Syndicate - Altered state
Novella - Come in
Fay - Launch
Gazelle Twin - Metro
JLin - The escape of the blvck rxbbit
Grebenstien & Seefried - Wufferfraction
Hanging Freud - Lines
Features - Schedules align
NUN - Can't chain
Alma Vox - Toi mon toit