Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes goal

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
People dismissed his goal last week because it took a deflection. I wonder what excuse they will come up with to belittle his achievement this weekend.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
People dismissed his goal last week because it took a deflection. I wonder what excuse they will come up with to belittle his achievement this weekend.

Ended up on the losing side so the goal doesn't count

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
I wonder how many will be saying similar about JFC when he's sold? He is a good midfielder as played by three managers and England U21, but it's fashionable to slate him.
You don't know what you've got til it's gone.

its not fashionable to slate him, its fashionable to play him. it seems hes been played by everyone and we can all see he's sh1t. with barnes he would actually help the team, score goals and put a shift in. all jfc does is lose the ball, jump away from challenges and waste space. I don't think the hate they get from the fans is comparable in the slightest

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is he worth a couple of million yet? Another massive player **** up by the powers that be at the Albion.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
As I remember it (and I could be wrong) Barnes got slated when he played as a left sided midfielder or as a lone striker - neither of which was he very good at. When he was played as part of a front two (in league 1 with Murray) I think most people thought he had potential and I don't remember him being a hate target then.

As an aside - Aspinal was saying before the game that we could have had Harry Kane. I assume this was the loan rumors from last season and the season before - or did we actually have a chance to sign him permanently at some point?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
As I remember it (and I could be wrong) Barnes got slated when he played as a left sided midfielder or as a lone striker - neither of which was he very good at. When he was played as part of a front two (in league 1 with Murray) I think most people thought he had potential and I don't remember him being a hate target then.

Barnes got slated wherever he played.

His performance as a lone striker was pretty much constantly improving. Ratings on here were going up as he grew more familiar with what was a new role, and his goals all came in the latter games, showing he was becoming accustomed to a position he had no serious experience playing prior to last season.

His performances in left midfield were mostly decent. He provided protection for the left back, some grit in midfield, and he got forward and won plenty of free kicks. Those that weren't always slating him, and those that marked him on what he was sent out to do, usually gave him an average (for a successful team) to good mark unless he genuinely had a bad game (yes, he had them, every player does).

Some people rated him as a left midfielder by judging how good a striker he was (it would be like rating Bent's performance today on how good his goalkeeping was - 'no saves, distribution wasn't there 2/10 and that's being generous') which could warp perception.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
its not fashionable to slate him, its fashionable to play him. it seems hes been played by everyone and we can all see he's sh1t. with barnes he would actually help the team, score goals and put a shift in. all jfc does is lose the ball, jump away from challenges and waste space. I don't think the hate they get from the fans is comparable in the slightest
It is very comparable. Take off your blinkers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here