Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So it turns out that Anthony Knockaert really IS better than Ozil...

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Yes, of course he is (good enough for the Prem). He has a had a decent season considering. 3 goals is not a bad return for a winger in a team in the relegation fight who set up very defensively away from home.
I am not as convinced. He might be. He might not. Jury's still out for me.

I hope he does make it. On his day he can be brilliant but we've only seen glimpses, so far, of what he did last season.

I think we can all agree he does himself no favours with his regular displays of petulance reaction, e.g. flinging his arms up if he doesn't get the pass he wants, or being subbed against Arsenal, or this ludicrous response to getting a ball in the face at Everton

Perhaps his suspension will be for the best? A chance to get his head straight for the last few games.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
There was some real venom being directed at AK from the row behind us, very early in the match. Bordering on hatred.

Despite deservedly winning Manager of the Month, I think CH has to take some responsibility. AK was having a shocker. We could all see it. It happens to players. CH should have substituted him far earlier.

We move on. AK will probably start on the bench when he returns.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I am not as convinced. He might be. He might not. Jury's still out for me.

I hope he does make it. On his day he can be brilliant but we've only seen glimpses, so far, of what he did last season.

I think we can all agree he does himself no favours with his regular displays of petulance reaction, e.g. flinging his arms up if he doesn't get the pass he wants, or being subbed against Arsenal, or this ludicrous response to getting a ball in the face at Everton

Perhaps his suspension will be for the best? A chance to get his head straight for the last few games.

I think his 'dip in form' has a lot to do with the way we are setting up away from home. In the championship we played him with more freedom to attack. In the PL, in certain games his main role seems to be supporting the right back. When we have attacked teams I've seen enough to suggest he is up to this level.

The same could be said for March.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Why Hughton didnt take him off at half time, after a truly shocking first half, i'll never know.

Oddly he did take him off in the West Ham game after he had scored and seemed to be finally getting a bit of confidence back.

Seems to indicate that Hughton perhaps isn't getting his man management right with AK.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
in certain games his main role seems to be supporting the right back.

If that was his job on Saturday, he definitely failed to do his main role.

Not sure what worries me more, that only 1 of 4 wingers is having a good season, or Solly who is truly awful this season will be back in the team.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
AK and Schelotto were a very poor combination on Saturday. With 100% hindsight Bruno should've come on at half time and Eziq could have played further up the pitch to nullify Baines.

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
he was excellent last week, and has been very good right throughout this good spell of ours. I don't know what you mean by 'something definitely isn't right with him'.

I think in older parlance, for 'something definitely isn't right with him' means 'petulant nut job', or 'petulant nut job with ulterior motive'. Nobody in their right mind would underestimate the contribution and impact he has made during his time at BHA but Arundel is spot on here.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Knockaert's assault on Baines, was a pathetic overreaction.

Much like this post.

I wouldn't worry too much .... the OP has history of over reacting including this little gem :

"Dunk was reckless. Those who clapped him off are c***s who don't understand football. The fact he walked off with his shirt over his head says it all. T*at"

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
I think in older parlance, for 'something definitely isn't right with him' means 'petulant nut job', or 'petulant nut job with ulterior motive'. Nobody in their right mind would underestimate the contribution and impact he has made during his time at BHA but Arundel is spot on here.

Thanks, yes I didn't mean it in a derogatory way. I just meant something seems up with him over the past few months and he seems less settled than in previous seasons. Maybe home sick or something after death of his Father. That's all i meant when I said something doesn't seem right.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks, yes I didn't mean it in a derogatory way. I just meant something seems up with him over the past few months and he seems less settled than in previous seasons. Maybe home sick or something after death of his Father. That's all i meant when I said something doesn't seem right.

But he showed signs of his petulant character last season. But last season everything was going for him and he was being showered with praise so it didn’t surface as much and/or got glossed over. This season, at a higher level, his limitations are being exposed and he’s not top dog so we see it more often. This is why there’s a difference this season.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
But he showed signs of his petulant character last season. But last season everything was going for him and he was being showered with praise so it didn’t surface as much and/or got glossed over. This season, at a higher level, his limitations are being exposed and he’s not top dog so we see it more often. This is why there’s a difference this season.

100% .. he's out of the limelight and he doesn't like it. So he'll make his own headlines .. drives home in a strop when not being picked, tantrums when subbed off, and reckless challenge when things not going well, and the occasional on field 'bust ups' with Bruno.

He was brilliant last season but he can't dine out on that forever.

I don't buy the 'arm round the shoulder' approach, perhaps then but not now. The bloke is supposed to be a 'professional' and paid a vast amount to behave as such.

I really did think he had the makings of a great player and was a definite favourite of mine, but now I'm thinking 'shape up or ship out'

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
100% .. he's out of the limelight and he doesn't like it. So he'll make his own headlines .. drives home in a strop when not being picked, tantrums when subbed off, and reckless challenge when things not going well, and the occasional on field 'bust ups' with Bruno.

He was brilliant last season but he can't dine out on that forever.

I don't buy the 'arm round the shoulder' approach, perhaps then but not now. The bloke is supposed to be a 'professional' and paid a vast amount to behave as such.

I really did think he had the makings of a great player and was a definite favourite of mine, but now I'm thinking 'shape up or ship out'

Agree. I’d like to add I have the upmost sympathy for anyone suffering a bereavement but we all have had to get on with our lives after suffering such. I also imagine a premier league footballer has a lot at his disposal to help him to look after himself. And maybe if he is suffering the glaring spot light of the Prem isn’t for him at this moment in time? Still think his “issues” are more due to his underlying character though.

Last edited:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Agree. I’d like to add I have the upmost sympathy for anyone suffering a bereavement but we all have had to get on with our lives after suffering such. I also imagine a premier league footballer has a lot at his disposal to help him to look after himself. And maybe if he is suffering the glaring spot light of the Prem isn’t for him at this moment in time? Still think his “issues” are more due to his underlying character though.

It will be interesting to see how we do in his absence for the next 3 games and if we do ok, then I expect CH will make him have to earn his place back.
It could be just what he needs to be honest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here