Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Close season signings- who is on Chris Hughton's (realistic) wishlist?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Keeping in mind we’re likely to offload Baldock, Sidwell & Rosenior we must be cutting the amount of homegrown players we have in the squad very close to the limit. With that in mind, what I think we’ll see;

Assuming either Nikki or Krul leave, we’ll need a Goalkeeper. Someone who’s happy to be backup to Ryan and allows us to let Walton go on loan again next season. This would be a good position to try and fit in a homegrown player as they’re unlikely to play much. Ben Hamner at Leicester is out of contract. Hasn’t played much this season and has fallen to 3rd choice now. Unlikely to be on high wages.

With the loss of BFG we will also need a Center Back. Yet again we need someone who will be happy to be 3rd or 4th choice. Whilst not glamorous, someone like James Collins does fit the bill. An experienced CB who has been there and done it. Although if we want to splash the cash (or if we need to replace Goldson) then I’d like to see us go for Joe Worall who has been excellent this year for Notts Forest despite only being 21 years old. Another option would be to see if Chelsea are willing to sell Fikayo Tomori who I think a lot of us would like to see back.

A Central Midfielder is also a must for squad depth. Thomas Delaney fills that gap perfectly. Another commanding central player who would really give us strength in depth in midfield. However a more attacking option who could provide competition for Groß would be Lewis Holtby who never really got a proper chance at Spurs and has a 1-in-3 record in Germany this year.

We’ll need a winger to replace Skalak & Murphy and I’d love to see us go for a leftfield punt and try to sign Raphinha. He’s a 21 year old Brazilian winger playing in Portugal for Vitória where he has scored 15 goals and picked up 5 assists this season. Extremely fast and skilful, he’s been linked with a move to Sporting but it would be good to see us throw a bid in for him

The last position we need to strengthen urgently is up front, we need a Striker. In my eyes Niclas Füllkrug would be perfect for us. He’s scored 13 goals in a struggling Hannover side this year which puts him in a similar bracket to bigger names like Uth, Volland & Werner. Strong, good in the air and excellent link-up play. Perfect to compete with Murray.

Well that’s what I think/want anyway :shrug:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
We’ll need a winger to replace Skalak & Murphy and I’d love to see us go for a leftfield punt and try to sign Raphinha. He’s a 21 year old Brazilian winger playing in Portugal for Vitória where he has scored 15 goals and picked up 5 assists this season. Extremely fast and skilful, he’s been linked with a move to Sporting but it would be good to see us throw a bid in for him.

Good shout, also Evengelista from Estoril looks good.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Tom Cairney. Ryan Bertrand (not much chance but you never know) if Saints go down. Mitrovic.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
CB/FB
Fredericks from Fulham (assuming they don't go up)
Konsa from Charlton
Worral from Forest

CM
Delaney from Werder
Evangelista from Estoril/Udinese (flair)
Golovin from CSKA (won't happen with other interest)

Wing
Redmond from Southampton (if they go down)
Raphinha from Vitoria

Striker
Selke from Hertha
Andone from Deportivo (cheaper now I guess since Dep got relegated)

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The last position we need to strengthen urgently is up front, we need a Striker. In my eyes Niclas Füllkrug would be perfect for us. He’s scored 13 goals in a struggling Hannover side this year which puts him in a similar bracket to bigger names like Uth, Volland & Werner. Strong, good in the air and excellent link-up play. Perfect to compete with Murray.
Oi get your own players.

Nicky Fulking is from my stable, next you'll be saying you want Roger Marti from Lavante.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Crystal Palace are ready to sell Belgium striker Christian Benteke this summer. Palace signed the 27-year-old from Liverpool in August 2016 for £27m. (Mirror)

:whistle:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I heard a rumour that Jake Livermore's agent is keen to get him a move to us if West Brom go down.

Funnily enough, I got told a rumour re him some years ago... could be something in it still...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I heard a rumour that Jake Livermore's agent is keen to get him a move to us if West Brom go down.

Not better than what we have and rarely scores. Delaney a more attractive prospect.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Crystal Palace are ready to sell Belgium striker Christian Benteke this summer. Palace signed the 27-year-old from Liverpool in August 2016 for £27m. (Mirror)

:whistle:

Could he be Murray Mark 2?

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
We will have to invest up front. Murray’s coming to the end and can’t be expected to lead the line all season again. Ulloa and Hemed will go. Locadia is still unproven. - However I think in the right position and fornation and with a preseason under his belt he will come good...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If they sell him, they are going to lose roughly £27 million if they get what he’s worth.

Of course the club aren't even going to get close to his (VFM) wages, but it's easy to make a case that they'll be some value for the buying club.
Unless of course they are even shittier than palace, in which case he needs a new agent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here