Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

44D9529D-034B-46E2-852D-077651BB58C3.jpeg

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I honestly haven't got a clue why they are on this thread.
I thought the OP started a thread about punk from the 76- 77 era, ie Pistols, Clash, Damned.

I posted a video link to a song I liked that fits the genre of the title of this thread.

I must have missed the "76-77 era" post.

Again, :shrug:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I can't really listen to some of the later stuff they did after London Calling.
Agree 100% with what you have said above

I only saw the Clash once and that was on the London Calling tour

Great,great gig,but that was because of their earlier material,for me anyway

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If you were not there, ground zero, 1976, say nothing.

I was bit too young, seeing all these older kids with safety pins etc. So it took away a couple of years for me to appreciate it.

For me, it wasn't just some great new music, it was the sweeping away of the era of Bay City Rollers, Mud, Osmonds, Brotherhood Of Man, etc. Even at primary school I loathed that shite.

larus

I was bit too young, seeing all these older kids with safety pins etc. So it took away a couple of years for me to appreciate it.

For me, it wasn't just some great new music, it was the sweeping away of the era of Bay City Rollers, Mud, Osmonds, Brotherhood Of Man, etc. Even at primary school I loathed that shite.

My daughter said to me a couple of years ago that our generation lived through so much great music/change.

Yes, their generation have it easier (in a lot of ways) than we did, but the dynamism/rebellion from that time was amazing. Whether you were into rock, punk, new-wave, ska and then the new-romantics etc which followed, compared to the boring dross which came before, it really was a great time and, what’s a real shame is, we probably didn’t really appreciate what was going on. It was the norm to us.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Interesting definition of punk being used, with posts where the bands have progressed musically beyond punk and more into mainstream.

Ideally any selection should be from 1976/77 so I'm going to against this, only on the basis that for whatever reason Siouxise and the Banshees were signed later than others, and Scream is one of my favourites, and have gone for Carcass

Maybe next, Best New Wave or Mod Revival song ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My daughter said to me a couple of years ago that our generation lived through so much great music/change.

Yes, their generation have it easier (in a lot of ways) than we did, but the dynamism/rebellion from that time was amazing. Whether you were into rock, punk, new-wave, ska and then the new-romantics etc which followed, compared to the boring dross which came before, it really was a great time and, what’s a real shame is, we probably didn’t really appreciate what was going on. It was the norm to us.

The era 1976 onwards for about 20 years, produced so much great pop music. Yes, some crap was still churned out, but also so much variety; great dance, soul, new wave, electronic, post punk. I’ve had the same thing - with no pushing, my son says what a great era and on his has discovered loads of great songs from that time.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

I was also enjoying retro 60' stuff as well at the time. Truely a great time for music and I still remember music reviews saying 80's music was so bad that you couldnt understand the lyrics etc etc as you do with each generation but we were blessed. I loved the music I just regret that I was too young and naive (as living outside London) to get most of it till I was older...

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
People's perception of what is punk and what is not is a debate in itself. Motorhead were always classed as 'heavy metal' yet hated that label themselves. Yet, their attitude and approach was more anarchist than alot of bands that claimed to be punk.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Yes. I remember all the polite clapping at the Dome. Don't get me wrong. Wishbone Ash were epic. Family, Supertram. Well maybe not supertramp. Genesis, yes them.

And then it all went fvcking mental.

A mate of mine went temporarily blind while watching the damned at the marquee. My seminal years were spent watching the Piranhas, Wrist Action an The Molesters in Brighton.

New Rose was the first single, though. The one we all bought. Stunning. You either thought it was brilliant, or you were a cvnt. Simple as that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was also enjoying retro 60' stuff as well at the time. Truely a great time for music and I still remember music reviews saying 80's music was so bad that you couldnt understand the lyrics etc etc as you do with each generation but we were blessed. I loved the music I just regret that I was too young and naive (as living outside London) to get most of it till I was older...

That’s good, as I’ve always ignored such reviews. I did use to buy NME, but just for positive stuff about bands I loved.

I loved and still love a lot of 60’s music too. Another great time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
People's perception of what is punk and what is not is a debate in itself. Motorhead were always classed as 'heavy metal' yet hated that label themselves. Yet, their attitude and approach was more anarchist than alot of bands that claimed to be punk.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Punk wasn't about anarchy. It was about dressing up and upsetting people. Especially Sherry's wankers, and old people. And going ****ing mental at gigs.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Interesting definition of punk being used, with posts where the bands have progressed musically beyond punk and more into mainstream.
you cant discount bands because they became popular its going down the route of im not going to like them now the majority do and it goes for all music genres

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was at the Adverts gig at Vortex when Danny Baker mouthed off about the Elvis death. He sounded like a prat and was mocked. Nothing like the heroic stance he brags about in his autobiog. All things come to pass. Much of it wind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here