Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

GypsyKing

Feb 4, 2013
Final longish run today and disaster has struck - picked up a groin strain. Hoping it's a minor one with two weeks to go but any tips to aid recovery would be appreciated...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
20 miles with average pace of 8:02 per mile this morning. Getting there.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
15 miles at a steady pace turned into 15 miles at marathon pace. I seriously need to reign it in now.

Any weather gurus want to start giving us predictions for two weeks time or are we still too far out?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Don’t rule out a bit of neural tension - feels very much like cramping/tightness as the muscle tense up to protect the nerve from damage (and will tear). This is worth a watch

https://www.kinetic-revolution.com/neural-mobilization-exercises-for-runners-and-triathletes/

Thanks. I have done the nerve flossing stretches based purely on the thought that they can’t hurt. There’s still a very definite pain and if it’s still there tomorrow it’ll be off to Jesus as soon as I can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Final longish run today and disaster has struck - picked up a groin strain. Hoping it's a minor one with two weeks to go but any tips to aid recovery would be appreciated...

I’ve never had severe groin strain but I’ve found my niggles respond well to rest, ice, heat, stretch (sitting on the floor with the soles of feet together and gradually lowering my knees to the ground), repeat has worked.

If it’s more than a five out of ten pain then book yourself in at a physio/sports therapist. Good luck.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I had this after the Moyleman and recovered immediately with the following. 1. Sit on floor legs apart in front of you, hold in core and slowly move hands towards feet. 2. Standing with legs apart turn one foot at right angles outwards, slowly lean into this foot keeping core straight and opposite shoulder in line with whole body. Do both legs.
Any constant high intensity pain DON'T do any stretches. Good luck.

Thanks. I have done the nerve flossing stretches based purely on the thought that they can’t hurt. There’s still a very definite pain and if it’s still there tomorrow it’ll be off to Jesus as soon as I can

When I cramped on the Bluebell 10K I had similar problems with a knotted feeling in the calf. Saw Jesus within a day and he massaged it out. Would a gentle roller be any good? You could always book in the saviour and sell on the appointment if you recover before on the black market as it's BM time. He's usually OK with cancellations.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Should have said never got out for scheduled 16 mile easy peasy run today as had to have long knackering day at allotment taking advantage of slightly North Westerly sending bonfire smoke away from the nearby houses.
I'll be able to enjoy the wind and rain tomorrow instead.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A busy 4 days of continual running and today really felt the high's and low's of a runner. 3 days of building up gradually with very little injury discomfort at around 8 minute mile pace.

Went out today for a long steady run again around the 8 minute mile mark and everything started well. It was a new route following a trail about 6 miles from Norwich. First 3.5 miles no pain, enjoying the scenery and saying good morning to many of the Norfolk running community!

At 3.5 miles the wheels came very badly off. Firstly a sudden bolt of pain around the calf had me cursing. Turned there rather than carry on, which was a good move as the injury wasn't good. A long and lonely 3.5 back knowing any progress of recent days had been undone.

At around 4 miles I had to stop for a shit, thankfully this was carried out with a minimum of fuss. Untying my shorts as I ran, followed by a quick glance over the shoulder and in one motion I had whipped the shorts down, stopped my Garmin and curled one out. Within milliseconds the shorts were back up and then a continuation of the injured run back home, where a shower was very much required.

Back to stretches and foam roller now and the potential of a third visit to Jesus.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
A busy 4 days of continual running and today really felt the high's and low's of a runner. 3 days of building up gradually with very little injury discomfort at around 8 minute mile pace.

Went out today for a long steady run again around the 8 minute mile mark and everything started well. It was a new route following a trail about 6 miles from Norwich. First 3.5 miles no pain, enjoying the scenery and saying good morning to many of the Norfolk running community!

At 3.5 miles the wheels came very badly off. Firstly a sudden bolt of pain around the calf had me cursing. Turned there rather than carry on, which was a good move as the injury wasn't good. A long and lonely 3.5 back knowing any progress of recent days had been undone.

At around 4 miles I had to stop for a shit, thankfully this was carried out with a minimum of fuss. Untying my shorts as I ran, followed by a quick glance over the shoulder and in one motion I had whipped the shorts down, stopped my Garmin and curled one out. Within milliseconds the shorts were back up and then a continuation of the injured run back home, where a shower was very much required.

Back to stretches and foam roller now and the potential of a third visit to Jesus.

I wouldn’t see Jesus until you’ve seen the proctologist.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

are you getting as wet as we are down near Southwold - miserable isn’t it - and worse forecast for tomorrow,

Shame you weren’t at Lowestoft Parkrun on Saturday or we could have entered the unusual places you’ve met someone thread!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
are you getting as wet as we are down near Southwold - miserable isn’t it - and worse forecast for tomorrow,

Shame you weren’t at Lowestoft Parkrun on Saturday or we could have entered the unusual places you’ve met someone thread!

We travelled up Thursday and came back today. Weather was pretty dire throughout but we enjoyed our time there. I went to Carrow Road Friday to see them lose 2-0 to Fulham but I managed to dodge most of the rain whilst I was running. I'm still to venture outside of Brighton & Hove for a Park Run so I'd love to get involved further afield.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Literally a shit run. My sympathies. I can’t even start right now and might find myself sitting next to you in Paul’s queue.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Don’t rule out a bit of neural tension - feels very much like cramping/tightness as the muscle tense up to protect the nerve from damage (and will tear). This is worth a watch

https://www.kinetic-revolution.com/neural-mobilization-exercises-for-runners-and-triathletes/

Did the flossing stretches yesterday. I’ll never know if it was coincidental but yesterday it was painful walking down stairs but this morning there’s no pain at all. Will be attempting a short jog tomorrow if it carries on being ok today.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
15 miles at a steady pace turned into 15 miles at marathon pace. I seriously need to reign it in now.

Any weather gurus want to start giving us predictions for two weeks time or are we still too far out?

6:53 marathon pace (Strava) will give you 3:00:28. Excellent stuff.

Pace charts here if anyone needs them. I'm starting off at an easy 9:00 minute mile pace. Nothing faster and hope it is still easy after 20 miles. Anyone else for the slow train?

https://www.runnersworld.com/rt-training/running-times-pace-charts

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

That sounds crap (pun intended). Hope you get your calf sorted.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Pace charts here if anyone needs them. I'm starting off at an easy 9:00 minute mile pace. Nothing faster and hope it is still easy after 20 miles. Anyone else for the slow train?

https://www.runnersworld.com/rt-training/running-times-pace-charts

Final long run today. 15.5 miles at just over 8's. I'd like to think I could maintain that pace which would be 3:30ish but realistically 8:20 more likely as just not at the same level I was this time last year and expect to choke at mile 22 onwards. That said felt good today and managed to avoid another soaking.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Brilliant. Excellent work. And happy birthday!

Happy birthday- sorry to miss your big day and we’ll done on the big 250! Seems like yesterday you got to 200.

Congrats and thanks for the Birthday cake.
I'll be checking the Parkrun photos to see if there are any of that bloke with the crown on his head making his ears stick out.....

Very well played! Happy birthday and congratulatories :)

Cheers all. Haven't run since and this weather isn't doing anything to tempt me to change that!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Final long run today. 15.5 miles at just over 8's. I'd like to think I could maintain that pace which would be 3:30ish but realistically 8:20 more likely as just not at the same level I was this time last year and expect to choke at mile 22 onwards. That said felt good today and managed to avoid another soaking.

Good run. Hilly too. I hate marathons! Just finished my 10" mile pace easy 16m run and I can hardly walk up stairs. Must be a combination of being knackered 2 weeks after last marathon and maybe I'm not used to running on the flat after 90% of training being on the Downs. Never mind forget that one. 2 weeks to recover.
Good to see [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] enjoying the Bank Holiday weather.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
A good weekend of running for me. 19k on Friday, with a bit of pace at the start (because I miscalculated how far it was to the meeting point for an 11am run :lolol:). The last 3k was after having 3 beers and a large portion of poutine, probably the hardest 3k I've done for a while!

32k (20 miles) yesterday, a cold and sunny run. Averaging 4.46/km (7.40/mile) which I'm really pleased with, especially as I was able to up the pace for the last couple of kms. I even managed to sneak into the top 3 places on the NSC Strava group.

5 weeks out from the marathon and I'm still unsure what pace I should aim for. Part of me wants to try and qualify for Boston, which would require roughly 4.25/km (7.06/mile). It's a pace I'm reasonably comfortable at on my shorter runs but I really don't know if I'd have enough in the tank to sustain it to the end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here