Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
It's certainly horses for courses.
Sounds reasonable but your close to the red line. I'd aim to 5:27_5:30 for 3:50:00 finish.
Pushing for that 5-10 minutes ***** me everytime.

2:55:00 at 20 miles for me last time out...............https://www.strava.com/activities/548348161 ..............................finished in 4:07:00.

Cheers, that's really interesting. You might be right and I should probably err on the conservative side and rein it back a bit more - your splits after 20 miles are exactly what I was hoping to avoid!

It's really difficult to judge, never having run one before, and only having the experience of half marathons to go on.

I guess I'd be happy to get round really, and if I can come in under 4h in a respectable time that's a bonus.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cheers, that's really interesting. You might be right and I should probably err on the conservative side and rein it back a bit more - your splits after 20 miles are exactly what I was hoping to avoid!

It's really difficult to judge, never having run one before, and only having the experience of half marathons to go on.

I guess I'd be happy to get round really, and if I can come in under 4h in a respectable time that's a bonus.

It is the great unknown that makes it all a worthy challenge.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If we're sharing previous Brighton Marathons, I'll get involved in that!

https://www.strava.com/activities/935250532

https://www.strava.com/activities/548086226

https://www.strava.com/activities/283960180

You'll see from my 2017 time that I smashed out of the blocks, but my first in 2015 (and first ever marathon) was the most consistent, only a couple of minutes variation between the fastest and slowest miles and no stoppages to walk at all. This year I'm determined to pace it better and my aim is negative splits, 1:32 and 1:28 for the halves. The first half should be slower because it's all of the hills, the second half really only has the small ramp at the lagoon and then again at the peace statue.

2017;
2017marathon.JPG

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm trying not to worry too much about the marathon. I've been following the FIRST plan, and it's gotten me too a whole new level of tired so I guess it must be doing something right - though the thought of two more weeks of intervals and tempo runs is a little soul destroying...

As for the day itself, I shall do a breathing check for the first few miles - keep it at conversational, which should be fine for the slower end of my target pace (6:50 - 7:26 / mile).

Slightly beware of the breathing test. I used it all through my marathon training as recommended by a coach but I found myself effortlessly chatting to Dazzer in the race itself while running between 1 minute and 40 seconds per mile too fast. It's either the adrenaline or having a mate alongside or maybe the just not tuning in to it but I never felt at all out of breath.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Still struggling with an injury sustained 3 and a bit weeks ago. 2 visits to Jesus but pain persists if I run even at a moderate pace.

The injury is a band of muscle which starts from the big toe and wraps itself between the achilles and calf. Football is well out of the question but even today I was running at no real pace and it went. Funny thing is, if I slow it down further and hit a sweet spot of about 8:40 per mile it's pain free. The only problem with that is that I have to really shorten my stride so I resemble a man who is on the brink of shitting themselves.

So if you see me out don't worry I'm not on the brink of soiling myself, it's just the only way to run pain free at present.

In fairness Jesus did say I shouldn't attempt speed work or play football but even 8 minute miles bring on the pain. I think it's where I have a long stride and the additional force coming down must create the pain. A much shorter stride and no problems at all.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Jesus is certainly my saviour. Last year's rheumatoid arthritis flare up led to the NHS telling me I had a thickening degenerative Achilles and had to consider my age (cheeky *****s) and give up running.
Jesus had a look. Said it's flexible enough and could get it moving. Spent 5 X £40 sessions on it. Was able to do Parkrun once a week. A month's trek in December. Marathon training resumed in January. Dull pain in Achilles most the time not made worse by running. Jesus said run on it.
Set off to do the Moyleman anxiously as aware that the studs on the Salomon Speedcross could **** the Achilles and I might have had to finish barefoot. However, somehow a miracle happened on that run and I now have 99% flexibility and no Achilles pain.
Like Big Nuts the problem was the tendon from the big toe running into the heel and up to the calf but arthritis in my case. Lucky I have RA that attacks joints and then leaves with slight damage as opposed to those who have it permanently.

Hallelujah!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
A question for those of you who train with Heart Rate Monitors.

Did a speed session today where I warmed up for a mile (9.59 pace) and then ran a mile at what I felt was 5k or even just a bit faster (7.32), half a mile recovery, half a mile at what I felt was tempo (8ish) and then a mile run / walk to cool down. My heart rate was never out of Z3 (tempo).

A couple of weeks ago I did one minute sprints with jog recovery X 5 and my heart rate was in Z4 (threshold) pretty much all the time till cool down.

On my 5 miler last week I set out to run the middle three a bit quick and was around the 8.30 - 8.44 mark. 3 miles at that pace so over 24 mins but only 15 mins in z3 with the rest at Z2 (Moderate).

Are these about right or am I under running? I'm not sure I understand enough about it but I would have thought that if I was running at my peak in my fast mile I would have gone to Z4. Similarly I would have thought that in the one minute intervals I'd have come out of Z4 in the jog recovery time. And if I'm in Z2 when I'm running a quicker middle section am I undercooking that too?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Are you wearing a chest HRM [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] ? I believe wrist ones aren't reliable.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Are you wearing a chest HRM [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] ? I believe wrist ones aren't reliable.

Wrist - Forerunner 235. It certainly felt reliable when it registered over 180 in the last minute of QPR away last season :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ladies and Gentlemen. I have just bought a Garmin 235 and connected it to Strava (I think). Is there any groups I can join follow? I’m an absolute novice with this so be gentle with me.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ladies and Gentlemen. I have just bought a Garmin 235 and connected it to Strava (I think). Is there any groups I can join follow? I’m an absolute novice with this so be gentle with me.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/96909

It's a nightmare you can struggle away all week to get near the top and next thing it's Monday morning and you have to start all over again.

Anyone know who started it and when?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
https://www.strava.com/clubs/96909

It's a nightmare you can struggle away all week to get near the top and next thing it's Monday morning and you have to start all over again.

Anyone know who started it and when?

Dunno, but it doesn't seem that long ago there was only about a dozen of us and anyone who'd done 30 miles in a week had really been doing some serious mileage!! :laugh:

(Usually [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] and [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION])

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Longest run (7 miles) in almost 4 weeks with my new shit my self style. No obvious pain, so hopefully I’ll get past this injury pretty soon.

Will continue to nurse over the weekend and maybe start gradually increasing the pace in 7/10 days time.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
* Advice please *

Doing Paris marathon a week Sunday. Did 17 at start of March and 20 a week later but had a definite hamstring injury so rested for just over 2 weeks and did a gentle 3 on Tues (not ideal preperation). I don’t think I’ve quite done enough training but just want to do the thing and not worried re time. I was thinking of a 10 miler Friday, followed by a 3-4 miler Monday for tapering. Just worried my 20 miler would have been a whole 4 weeks before the marathon when I get to race day and I’d have lost fitness...?! Thoughts welcome!

I’m also getting a massage and trying to eat healthy ish in the next 10 days :thumbsup:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
* Advice please *

Doing Paris marathon a week Sunday. Did 17 at start of March and 20 a week later but had a definite hamstring injury so rested for just over 2 weeks and did a gentle 3 on Tues (not ideal preperation). I don’t think I’ve quite done enough training but just want to do the thing and not worried re time. I was thinking of a 10 miler Friday, followed by a 3-4 miler Monday for tapering. Just worried my 20 miler would have been a whole 4 weeks before the marathon when I get to race day and I’d have lost fitness...?! Thoughts welcome!

I’m also getting a massage and trying to eat healthy ish in the next 10 days :thumbsup:

I think you might get conflicting advice. Mine comes from someone who cocked up (i.e. finished but under-performed) in 3 marathons out of 3 which makes it either very good or very bad. But I would say that 20 miles 4 weeks out is not ideal. However, the only real issue is what do you do about it and I'll leave that to my younger and betters...........................

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
* Advice please *

I think it depends how much training you did before the last 20 miler. If you have “plenty” of miles in the bank and followed your training plan you should be okay with what you further suggest as most taper periods are 4 weeks. When I say okay you should be able to get round. How many miles and sessions were you doing each week before your injury?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think it depends how much training you did before the last 20 miler. If you have “plenty” of miles in the bank and followed your training plan you should be okay with what you further suggest as most taper periods are 4 weeks. When I say okay you should be able to get round. How many miles and sessions were you doing each week before your injury?

I think I’ve not done quite enough but should be enough to get round if I’ve done a 17 and a 20:

From 2018:
Jan - 6 runs - 28miles
Feb - 7 runs 56 miles
Mar - 3 runs 40 miles so far

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
* Advice please *

Have you run a marathon before? 26+ miles on the day with adrenaline, people around you, nerves, etc is very different to a 17 and 20 mile leisure run. Beware. Good luck.
Ps - your ytd mileage seems a bit light

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here