Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I've given up looking at economic indicators, regardless of whether they support my argument or not because I believe their relevance to Brexit has diminished since 2016. BigGully posted some article about rising house prices and then nonsensically suggested they showed Brexit in a positive light.

That's not true, I have never posted one economic indicator in isolation crediting either the virtues of Brexit or the failings of Remain and I didn't the other day either.

You and a couple of others said that you hadn't seen anyone post that we currently have Brexit induced housing market crash, well away from The Clamp and a couple of others that might be true, after all it would be plain daft as there hasn't been one, nor was it me that posted an article or graph, that was someone else.

My point was that although in my mind a rising housing market is rarely a fair indicator of a nations overall economic performance, in the UK it can be an indicator of a failing one, with increased inflation, higher interest rates, rising unemployment or a non growth economy etc. many of the Remain posters favourite snippets then the housing market is unlikely to thrive, so although posters haven't cited the housing market (why would they) many post snapshot data on a regular basis, data that if relevant and ongoing would undoubtedly effect it.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Barniers quote today

"I think that if we are realistic we are able to reach an agreement on the first stage of the negotiation, which is the Brexit treaty, within 6 or 8 weeks"

The problem is the "WE" includes the Tory party

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Remainers look away now. Seriously bad news has been published today about the economy. (Well, bad for the doom and gloom merchants anyway :lol:)

GDP growth for the last 3 months has been 0.6%. Some perspective for you remainers on this. France/Italy were 0.2% in their last quarter. Germany 0.5% in it's last quarter. Euro area 0.4%.

Where's this recession we were promised? Where are these job losses that were forecast? Where's the house price crash? Even with all of the uncertainty, the economy keeps chugging along steadily.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45470689

Boosted by an event filled summer with good weather. It’s even in the headline. But I rarely take such quarterly figures as an indication of the true state of the economy. Much has to be factored in. People even spend more in harder times to compensate. It all catches up in the end though .

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You could just as easily argue the significant shift to Remain as indicated in all the polls, the growing support for a Second Referendum and the acknowledgement by politicians there is deadlock in Parliament are all pointers that this damned Brexit might not happen, therefore people and businesses are carrying on as normal.

Obviously it would be great if the EU gave us our cake but there's no indication of anything like happening, and everything right now points to No Deal which most people with a brain realise would be a disaster in the short/medium term.

larus

Boosted by an event filled summer with good weather. It’s even in the headline. But I rarely take such quarterly figures as an indication of the true state of the economy. Much has to be factored in. People even spend more in harder times to compensate. It all catches up in the end though .

So I assume that you never commented about the UK being bottom of the G7 GDP growth figures? (Even though revised figures made that not to be true in the end).

The simple fact is, nothing has happened dramatically to the economy even though [MENTION=15360]nicko31[/MENTION] & [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] have liked to make comments about how ‘well’ the economy is doing. These figures just make their statements look what they are - pathetic :lol:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So I assume that you never commented about the UK being bottom of the G7 GDP growth figures? (Even though revised figures made that not to be true in the end).

The simple fact is, nothing has happened dramatically to the economy even though [MENTION=15360]nicko31[/MENTION] & [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] have liked to make comments about how ‘well’ the economy is doing. These figures just make their statements look what they are - pathetic :lol:

I don't think I did, but happy to be corrected.

The economy is bearing up so far but nobody is gonna throw in the towel at this stage. Economies can be sustained on positive projection alone. For a while. It would be naive of you to think that a lot of companies don't have plans in place to get the rock out of the UK if we come out with a bad/no deal. Then we shall see how it all looks.

Not sure why you bought other members into your post. Your point could have easily been made without the dig at others. Something to think about perhaps.

larus

I don't think I did, but happy to be corrected.

The economy is bearing up so far but nobody is gonna throw in the towel at this stage. Economies can be sustained on positive projection alone. For a while. It would be naive of you to think that a lot of companies don't have plans in place to get the rock out of the UK if we come out with a bad/no deal. Then we shall see how it all looks.

Not sure why you bought other members into your post. Your point could have easily been made without the dig at others. Something to think about perhaps.

Maybe you did or you didn’t, but you did say (or at least refer to) the country heading into a recession and linking this to Brexit.

Why do you always try to tell others what to do and how they post? Maybe you should consider how you comment to others and the abuse you throw around - like calling me a pr1ck, idiot etc. Seems like you time off this thread has not helped in that respect.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Maybe you did or you didn’t, but you did say (or at least refer to) the country heading into a recession and linking this to Brexit.

Why do you always try to tell others what to do and how they post? Maybe you should consider how you comment to others and the abuse you throw around - like calling me a pr1ck, idiot etc. Seems like you time off this thread has not helped in that respect.

The country is headed for recession. This will be the direct fault of Brexit.

As for the other issues you raise, I'll just say I haven't insulted you since coming back and have no intention of doing so. I didn't try to tell you how to post, I questioned why you posted as you did. Abuse doesn't always come in the form of swearing. But I digress and I don't wish to get into an argument. As you were.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

We have our views on the economy. I am of the opinion it is significantly weaker than just before the referendum. I posted 5 graphs from the FT just last week to explain my view. Now, if you want to call me and the FT “pathetic” then fine. But please don’t whine about people being confrontational when you use terms like that. And you look stupid when you whine like this and are confrontational yourself in the very next sentence.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The country is headed for recession. This will be the direct fault of Brexit.

As for the other issues you raise, I'll just say I haven't insulted you since coming back and have no intention of doing so I merely pointed out that you didn't need to mention those other posters. Abuse doesn't always come in the form of swearing. But I digress and I don't wish to get into an argument. As you were.

Some sectors are already retracting.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Some sectors are already retracting.

Yep.And with masses of companies already making moves out of the UK we can expect a steep downturn in oooh, about six months say? What is gonna be left? Vacuum cleaners and a chain of cheap pubs by the look of it!

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
anyone who says the brexit is positive for our economy is either deluded or more likely a economics-for-mugs or whatever it's called observer with no practical experience of business. global businesses moving / setting up post-brexit options, SMEs doing the same. delusional in the extreme. our economy is being destroyed, slowly but surely, by politicians with vested interests or simple little englander views. such a shame

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
anyone who says the brexit is positive for our economy is either deluded or more likely a economics-for-mugs or whatever it's called observer with no practical experience of business. global businesses moving / setting up post-brexit options, SMEs doing the same. delusional in the extreme. our economy is being destroyed, slowly but surely, by politicians with vested interests or simple little englander views. such a shame

There may be sociological advantages to Brexit, depending entirely upon one's point of view but overall economic advantages? No.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

Oh stop it.
We’re on our way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here