Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Squad for the Ashes tour down under 2013/2014

Horsham Gull

H Block Offender
Dec 4, 2006
Horsham
England #Ashes squad: Cook Prior Anderson Bairstow Ballance Bell Broad Carberry Finn Panesar KP Rankin Root Stokes Swann Tremlett Trott

England Performance Programme: Ali Briggs Buttler Chopra Foakes Harris Jordan Kerrigan Lees Mills Overton Robson Topley Vince Willey Wood

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Stunned that Monty is in. Wow.
I agree to an extent, but who else is there as back-up spinner? Treadwell's taken about a dozen 1st class wickets this season. Kerrigan isn't (yet) good enough. Probably next on the list is Ollie Rayner!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We are woefully short of decent spinners.

I agree with Carberry over Compton, mind you. Compton just never convinces me whenever I see him.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Let's hope that this does Monty some good. No Onions, Bresnan or Compton. Is Bresnan injured?

Will they stick with the current batting line up, or put Carberry in to open and put Root at 5/6? Or something else entirely?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
We are woefully short of decent spinners.

I agree with Carberry over Compton, mind you. Compton just never convinces me whenever I see him.

I think this decision stinks. Compton did more than enough to be part of this side, however, I think his response to being dropped was frowned upon. I get a feeling this is a personality decision rather than a playing skill or track record decsion.

Who bats at 6 then? Given his form in the last few weeks, Stokes may well get a go.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Same here, sort of. I'm not sure they had a choice after Kerrigan's failing & Tredwell's gargantuan 14 CC wickets this season. Where else could they go?

I agree to an extent, but who else is there as back-up spinner? Treadwell's taken about a dozen 1st class wickets this season. Kerrigan isn't (yet) good enough. Probably next on the list is Ollie Rayner!

I'd rather have seen Briggs given the opportunity to progress.

Good to see Tramlett in the squad. Extra pace is always important out there.

Agreed, although I think Rankin might challenge him for that role.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'd rather have seen Briggs given the opportunity to progress.

I don't disagree with you but I think they got badly burnt by the Kerrigan selection and didn't want to risk exposing another untested spinner in the Ashes. Let's all be honest here, if Swann were to get injured, we can be fairly sure that Monty would do a decent job (with the ball anyhow....)

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Vic Marks was in the I today saying he though Rayner was an outside shout, quote surprised he's not in the performance squad.

Can't understand why you'd have Carberry over Compton in the squad either

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The good news - Tremlett or Finn should be able to fill the gap left by Bresnan, while Monty is the best cover available for Swann. I can also see why they took Rankin, although very hard on Onions and a decision the selectors might come to regret.

The bad news - Carberry, Ballance and Stokes. None of these have set the world alight and our batting depth is piss poor. The jury's still out on Bairstow (especially without Yorkshire teammate Bresnan to keep him company down the order).

I would have taken Taylor, Bopara and Onions instead of Carberry, Stokes and Rankin. If we have an opener problem I'd push Trott up to 2 and bring in Bopara.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The jury's still out on Bairstow (especially without Yorkshire teammate Bresnan to keep him company down the order).

He'll have Ballance and Root to keep him company on tour. Does it really matter who he bats with? Surely his technical defficiencies are the problem, rather than anything else?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here