Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Approx 29,000 sold to date for Monday's Play Off Game

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
OK.

Boro dropped from 34,386 avg in 1999/2000, immediately after promotion, to as low as 26,780 in the Premier League in 2008 (when they finished 13th).

Wasn't 2006 when they lost the bloke with the brolley amongst other glaring problems, and the start of a decline? They still maintained an average c30k attendance over 11 seasons in top flight, hardly dwindling in comparison.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If I get to my seat on Monday and there is a clacker there, I am going to BURN it.

You're not alone

SG24XL.jpg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This keeps getting thrown out and has no basis in modern football.

Show me dwindling crowds for any top tier side in the last 20 years. To save you time, the best examples you will be able to find are 2-3k dropoffs for teams almost down by christmas.

I said this in another post a few months back and got slagged off for it but it's true

I'm not saying it will happen, I was very careful with what I wrote. I'm saying that it's not 100% certain that we'd see a rise in crowds if we got promoted. As Wozza has pointed out, Boro's attendance went down when they went up, I'm not going to spend my time digging around but I'm sure there have been some other examples in the past 20 years.

One thing that I will take issue with is that cost won't be a factor when it was 37 years. Even taking inflation into account, we're paying a lot, an awful lot, more now than we did then

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm saying that it's not 100% certain that we'd see a rise in crowds if we got promoted.

Given that season ticket sales are already way in advance already of last year and at an all time high then i am saying that i'm 100% certain that our average crowds next season will be higher than this year whatever division we are in .

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
tbh 30k+in the goldstone with spurs,west ham,man utd did not represent a safe family environment,after spurs,west ham and chelsea in previous seasons you would have to be a bit silly to take the family.Also the facilities were still third division at best.

It was safety and the view at the Goldstone. It could be transport at the Amex is the Achilles Heel. Blame Southern Rail for that!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I'm not saying it will happen, I was very careful with what I wrote. I'm saying that it's not 100% certain that we'd see a rise in crowds if we got promoted. As Wozza has pointed out, Boro's attendance went down when they went up, I'm not going to spend my time digging around but I'm sure there have been some other examples in the past 20 years.

One thing that I will take issue with is that cost won't be a factor when it was 37 years. Even taking inflation into account, we're paying a lot, an awful lot, more now than we did then

Middlesbrough increased their capacity by 5k when entering the PL and was part of riding high with new finance and Juninho and Ravenelli etc, so they sold all 5k of those extra seats for the first season, which later levelled off around 30-32k (more in line with their previous capacity). There are probably other similar exceptions, but they are rare.

It would probably be the same for us if it were possible to add another 5k seats, but I don't believe for one minute that we wouldn't be at capacity with our current build for every season up there.. unless some kind of decline happens at administrative level, or we are so far adrift there's little hope of a turnaround.

I guess what i'm trying to say is, fans are very much prepared for expectations in top flight, perhaps moreso than they were 30 odd years ago. For intance, we know finishing 17th will be a decent first season up there which is the sad state of modern football.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Approx 25,000 sold already for Monday's Play Off Game

They will go up. The Premier League factor will draw a lot of fans in. And then, even though they fall slightly outside the main thrust here, there will be some very large away followings where we could give away almost as many tickets as required to fill empty seats.

Whether they would stay up, should we stay up, is probably the main point here. Once the novelty of the Premier League wears off a bit and life as a struggler kicks in, will people still keep coming back? Largely, I think they will.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
They will go up. The Premier League factor will draw a lot of fans in. And then, even though they fall slightly outside the main thrust here, there will be some very large away followings where we could give away almost as many tickets as required to fill empty seats.

Whether they would stay up, should we stay up, is probably the main point here. Once the novelty of the Premier League wears off and a bit and life as a struggler kicks in, will people still keep coming back. Largely, I think they will.

One thing that has been an issue with the home crowds this season would go away immediately, which is the poor away crowds at the Amex in many matches.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
One thing that has been an issue with the home crowds this season would go away immediately, which is the poor away crowds at the Amex in many matches.

Yep, with the cockney reds and the mighty Bournemouth massive

Boro5707

Dec 21, 2015
Middlesbrough increased their capacity by 5k when entering the PL and was part of riding high with new finance and Juninho and Ravenelli etc, so they sold all 5k of those extra seats for the first season, which later levelled off around 30-32k (more in line with their previous capacity). There are probably other similar exceptions, but they are rare.

It would probably be the same for us if it were possible to add another 5k seats, but I don't believe for one minute that we wouldn't be at capacity with our current build for every season up there.. unless some kind of decline happens at administrative level, or we are so far adrift there's little hope of a turnaround.

I guess what i'm trying to say is, fans are very much prepared for expectations in top flight, perhaps moreso than they were 30 odd years ago. For intance, we know finishing 17th will be a decent first season up there which is the sad state of modern football.

Our attendance has always gone up the season after promotion. The average dropped over time but there are other factors to take into account. Take 2006 for example, we dropped 4K from the season before, but we played 60 matches that season! Premier league games, Europe all the way to the Final, FA Cup to the semi and 3 replays getting there, League cup to the Quarters. I was skint all season, European home games, few European trips away including the final, FA Cup Semi at Villa v Arsenal, Class season though but Cup runs and Europe impacted on Premier league attendences.
After UEFA cup final we had to do everything on the cheap or we would of ended up like Bolton are now or Portsmouth ect. Attendances dropped off and we did out of the league. House back in order, Gibson went again with Strachan in the Championship, that was a disaster and Mowbray hardly had a penny to spend. House back in order and we went again with Karanka.

2009 28.429 QF 3 Premier League Relegated
2008 26.708 QF 3 Premier League
2007 27.730 QF 3 Premier League
2006 28.463 SF QF UEFA Final Premier League
2005 32.012 5 4 UEFA R4 Premier League
2004 30.398 4 Winners Premier League
2003 31.025 3 3 Premier League
2002 28.459 SF 3 Premier League
2001 30.747 4 3 Premier League
2000 33.393 3 QF Premier League
1999 34.386 3 3 Premier League - Stadium expanded to 35K from 30K
1998 29.994 4 Final 2nd tier of English football - Promoted Attendance went up in championship, but most likley less segragation.
1997 29.848 Final Final Premier League - Relegated
1996 29.283 4 4 Premier League

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Our attendance has always gone up the season after promotion. The average dropped over time but there are other factors to take into account. Take 2006 for example, we dropped 4K from the season before, but we played 60 matches that season! Premier league games, Europe all the way to the Final, FA Cup to the semi and 3 replays getting there, League cup to the Quarters. I was skint all season, European home games, few European trips away including the final, FA Cup Semi at Villa v Arsenal, Class season though but Cup runs and Europe impacted on Premier league attendences.
After UEFA cup final we had to do everything on the cheap or we would of ended up like Bolton are now or Portsmouth ect. Attendances dropped off and we did out of the league. House back in order, Gibson went again with Strachan in the Championship, that was a disaster and Mowbray hardly had a penny to spend. House back in order and we went again with Karanka.

2009 28.429 QF 3 Premier League Relegated
2008 26.708 QF 3 Premier League
2007 27.730 QF 3 Premier League
2006 28.463 SF QF UEFA Final Premier League
2005 32.012 5 4 UEFA R4 Premier League
2004 30.398 4 Winners Premier League
2003 31.025 3 3 Premier League
2002 28.459 SF 3 Premier League
2001 30.747 4 3 Premier League
2000 33.393 3 QF Premier League
1999 34.386 3 3 Premier League - Stadium expanded to 35K from 30K
1998 29.994 4 Final 2nd tier of English football - Promoted Attendance went up in championship, but most likley less segragation.
1997 29.848 Final Final Premier League - Relegated
1996 29.283 4 4 Premier League

Here is an interesting piece on our chairman
http://uk.businessinsider.com/inside-story-star-lizard-tony-bloom-2016-2

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Where's the 18.30 update [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] ?

@kingcole

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow

200928.429QF3 Premier League Relegated
200826.708QF3 Premier League
200727.730QF3 Premier League
200628.463SFQFUEFA Final Premier League
200532.01254UEFA R4 Premier League
200430.3984Winners Premier League
200331.02533 Premier League
2002 28.459SF3 Premier League
2001 30.74743 Premier League
2000 33.3933QF Premier League
1999 34.38633 Premier League - Stadium expanded to 35K from 30K
1998 29.9944Final 2nd tier of English football - Promoted Attendance went up in championship, but most likley less segragation.
199729.848FinalFinal Premier League - Relegated
199629.283 44 Premier League

Never knew you expanded after it opened. Was it a corner fill in?

Loved the atmosphere against us if not the result.

Boro5707

Dec 21, 2015
Never knew you expanded after it opened. Was it a corner fill in?

Loved the atmosphere against us if not the result.

Both corners attached to main stand, added 5k to the capacity. Was the largest English stadium built since WW2 and everyone else followed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here