Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you a good listener?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I think I can listen to most peoples problems / issues.
This all stems from going to my allotment.
As my plot is at the top of the site, when I enter throught the gate you go through the customary hellos to everyone.
This then trends into being told how they are and any other issues they have, and before you know it you are an hour or so behind before you have started any work :)

Are you good listeners?

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I think I can listen to most peoples problems / issues.
This all stems from going to my allotment.
As my plot is at the top of the site, when I enter throught the gate you go through the customary hellos to everyone.
This then trends into being told how they are and any other issues they have, and before you know it you are an hour or so behind before you have started any work :)

Are you good listeners?

Could you not go in camouflaged with cabbage leaves thus avoiding said conversations? Not because you
won't get noticed....just that they'll all think you've gone completely fu***ing crackers.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
What's that mate?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm about 30% deaf in the one ear, so it usually depends on which side of me someone looks to go into detail. On a few occasions I've had colleagues open up to me, I've discovered about 5 minutes into dialogue, without me really knowing the origins of their sorrow or relative's disease. I've spent the time up to then smiling and nodding, fully sure they're telling me, a person I wouldn't generally reveal an awful lot to, a wacky tale from the weekend.
In my good ear I am worth telling small things too.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
What was the middle bit again.

I am a terrible listener, I tend to drift off and think about something else after a few seconds then end up guessing what was said to me.
Also sometimes when I am reading after a few lines I go back to the beginning again.

I have special needs.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'm about 30% deaf in the one ear, so it usually depends on which side of me someone looks to go into detail.

I'm the same, so not a good hearer, but not necessarily a bad listener. I do sometimes have to pretend I've heard something that I haven't - becomes a problem if someone has asked a question. That's chronic cholesteatoma for you, I'm afraid.....

Last edited:

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Sarah Dessen:
“This is the problem with dealing with someone who is actually a good listener. They don’t jump in on your sentences, saving you from actually finishing them, or talk over you, allowing what you do manage to get out to be lost or altered in transit. Instead, they wait, so you have to................”

.................................keep going. I'm so good at finishing sentences

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
[MENTION=13433]Kumquat[/MENTION] is, I'd have thought.

I am a good listener. My girlfriend will tell you that. Not once have I ever had to say "what did you say darling?" I'm on it like vomit. I can even hear, sorry, listen to her in the bathroom. She must be a Sun Kil Moon fan, she walks to that bathroom with such a sense of grace.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm told that I am. No, seriously, it's true.

I was once told a cliche: "you have two ears and one mouth; use them in that proportion". I've found that a valuable lesson.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here