Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Vincent Janssen

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So, which striker that we thought was up to the job did we not get on loan due to signing Krul? Seems the reason our targets did not come was due to other things, inherent heart problems, current club changing their mind and for Janssen, just didn't want to come here.

Or, those claiming we didn't get someone because of Krul would have been happy with anyone signing as long as somewhere on their CV it said striker/forward.

NOBODY on here knows which striker fitted the bill and was on the list but arguably there was one who we may have got had the Krul permanent deal been done on 29/30 August early. I have nothing whatsoever against signing Krul as I believe he is a good signing but it is the timing of it that I find astonishing.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
NOBODY on here knows which striker fitted the bill and was on the list but arguably there was one who we may have got had the Krul permanent deal been done on 29/30 August early. I have nothing whatsoever against signing Krul as I believe he is a good signing but it is the timing of it that I find astonishing.

I think the deal for striker and the deal for 3rd keeper must have been constantly changing between loan and purchase. Striker was always the priority - Niasse and Abraham were always chased as loans it would seem and there were a couple of others chased as perm deals. All of them fell flat for different reasons.

The keeper would have been determined by any striker purchased or loaned. The failed medical by the lad from Switzerland and Everton's failure to land their own striking targets would have thrown obstacles up that we possibly hoped wouldn't happen.

In terms of the PL Brighton are quite far down the food chain and often need to wait until others higher up have eaten. That's just how it is when your new at this level. Burnley had the same issues the previous year. They waited for us to relent on Stephens thinking we would but we held firm.

We probably thought Everton would relent and like us they didn't. And yes you can point to Huddersfield doing business early but I don't know if their signings that they did early are of a standard to keep them up. They might be but I have a feeling the players they signed won't be good enough to keep them up, despite their decent start I think their overall squad won't be good enough when injuries and suspensions start to kick in.

I have a feeling the Manager thinks we are good enough to stay up and everything will be re-assessed come January but I think so far so good in terms of points on the board despite missing out on an outright striker. Although Tomer and Glenn are not top notch strikers. If we can create for them, they are capable of putting the ball in the net.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So, which striker that we thought was up to the job did we not get on loan due to signing Krul? Seems the reason our targets did not come was due to other things, inherent heart problems, current club changing their mind and for Janssen, just didn't want to come here.

Or, those claiming we didn't get someone because of Krul would have been happy with anyone signing as long as somewhere on their CV it said striker/forward.

Nicely put

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

Go to bed :moo:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
This has probably been mentioned previously on this thread, but the reason Janssen didn't come wasn't because either side want the deal. He preferred to stay at a top four club rather than being a last-minute, last option choice for the Albion.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
This has probably been mentioned previously on this thread, but the reason Janssen didn't come wasn't because either side want the deal. He preferred to stay at a top four club rather than being a last-minute, last option choice for the Albion.

I think it was more likely he didnt want a permanent over a loan deal to a club that could easily get relegated.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Yes, but by using our second loan on a goalkeeper, it meant we couldn't sign a striker on loan.

A third goalkeeper, or a striker. Not too tough a choice.

Yes, there was a choice, and IMO the club made the wrong decision.

Don't be fooled by Barber's spin.

It doesnt look like spin to me when you see how peed off Spurs were withn Janssen for not taking a deal from one of the clubs they offered him to. Then forcing him into the only option he had left which was a loan or move to turkey (only transfer window left open) as they had no intention of keeping him. What I have seen of him since I think we dodged a bullet as Krul is an asset and Janssen was a desperate gamble which would have landed us a fit expensive waste of space.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think it was more likely he didnt want a permanent over a loan deal to a club that could easily get relegated.

....and his agent has never heard of a release clause? Needs a better agent, in that case. Not that bothered we didn't get him, to be honest.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Do you have the faintest idea of how patronisingly you always come across on this board? You appear as a pompous self-appointed club policeman.

5.5/10.

Seriously, is that the best you can do? You've now turned this into something about yourself when once it was about your accusation of Barber saying something you prejudicially don't believe, while grizzling that you feel patronised. Blimey.

As for 'self-appointed club policeman'' - what does that even mean? Is that what you feel has happened - that I've unilaterally appointed myself in some role you've fabricated for your own fantasy-laden satisfaction? Good grief.

Worse than that you appear to twist what other people say. I question the club when I feel it's justified - that's pretty much my entire point. So to claim that 'I might not bother to' is just mendacious.

You didn't question the club. You accused Barber of 'spin', but you can't back up your statement. No mendacity here - you just didn't question them. If you did, I would be (we all would be) very interested in the club's response. What was it? Is it right you should keep that answer just to yourself? Thanks in advance for letting us know what he said.

And your point about 'evidence' that Barber is lying is utterly irrelevant. I never said he is lying and nor did the Mellor 3. What he said was that there was 'spin' - spin isn't the same as lying, it's presenting facts in a particular light - something we all do on occasion.

So prove that there was spin. He's said one thing, and all you've done is accuse him of spin which seeks to presume you know all the facts. Do you? I've asked this and you've dismissed it as irrelevant.

So wind your neck in your boring *******.

So now who's the 'self-appointed policeman' [sic] - telling people how YOU think they should behave?

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It doesnt look like spin to me when you see how peed off Spurs were withn Janssen for not taking a deal from one of the clubs they offered him to. Then forcing him into the only option he had left which was a loan or move to turkey (only transfer window left open) as they had no intention of keeping him.

A point that has been explained several times, yet so many want to believe something completely fabricated.

What I have seen of him since I think we dodged a bullet as Krul is an asset and Janssen was a desperate gamble which would have landed us a fit expensive waste of space.

The pics of Janssen with his new club kit didn't exactly make him look delighted to be there.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It was a huge huge cock up from the club. Anyone who can't see that really has swallowed all of Barber's spin hook line and sinker

I asked it of crasher, who feels insulted enough to render the question to him as irrelevant, so I'll ask it of you.

Where is your first-hand, peer-tested evidence that Barber is spinning things? I don't mean your prejudical third-hand fabrications, I mean actual facts that state that what Barber has told us is wrong. Thanks.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
....and his agent has never heard of a release clause? Needs a better agent, in that case. Not that bothered we didn't get him, to be honest.

Considering we left it till the last minute with Jansen away on Holland duty I doubt there was that much time to negotiate and consider with the player.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Considering we left it till the last minute with Jansen away on Holland duty I doubt there was that much time to negotiate and consider with the player.

Oh, so his agent had no idea that the club were trying to off-load him, and it would be good planning to have a provisional list of demands and conditions ready to use at a moment's notice? Still to be negotiated, of course, but the player would have pretty good advanced warning of the broad parameters of future contracts.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I was pissed off when the deal didn't go through but, on reflection, I'm glad it didn't.

He's rubbish.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I was pissed off when the deal didn't go through but, on reflection, I'm glad it didn't.

He's rubbish.

It shouldn't have collectively taken us 78 pages to get to this (correct) point.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So, which striker that we thought was up to the job did we not get on loan due to signing Krul?
It's possible there was more than one option. My guess would be Janssen. He wasn't needed at Spurs, we'd have liked him and made an offer, he was away on international duty and didn't have a chance to meet our manager, see our ground or training facilities etc, and didn't want to sign permanently for a club predicted to get relegated. I don't blame him. On loan until January, however, he could have said yes.

I can't see why Spurs wouldn't have loaned him to a PL club, that makes no sense at all.

We probably thought Everton would relent and like us they didn't.
That's interesting, because I heard on the hush hush that Everton weren't the sort of club to relent, so I'd be surprised if we thought they would :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here