Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The C2 Psychedelic Furs gig also passed me by. They were the second band I saw following on from The Cure, both gigs at Hammersmith Odeon. At the Furs gig, there was a podgy guy with sprouting, spiky hair in front blocking my view -- one Robert Smith.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Marc Riley indicated that Flatworms are playing some dates next month. They haven't been officially announced yet, but that is imminent. From what I gathered, the nearest to us is London, but it might just be worth a trip up there from the couple of songs I've heard. They also feature Oh Sees' current bass player, so might be quite a chuckle live.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Marc Riley indicated that Flatworms are playing some dates next month. They haven't been officially announced yet, but that is imminent. From what I gathered, the nearest to us is London, but it might just be worth a trip up there from the couple of songs I've heard. They also feature Oh Sees' current bass player, so might be quite a chuckle live.

Red hot sand was a favourite track of mine the other year.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Gigs coming up for me
God speed
Shellac
Acid mothers
Big Brave
At the drive in (supporting royal blood)

Am tempted to see by Dinosaur Jr and the Thing but in London.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Shellac are at Concorde next month, the Thing are in London in November.

First saw Dinosaur Jr in '88 supporting Sonic Youth. They meander between greatness and sludgy mess as a live band. I liked the last album but doubt I'll trek to London to see them.

Also Metz are playing at the Haunt in November

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Shellac are at Concorde next month, the Thing are in London in November.

First saw Dinosaur Jr in '88 supporting Sonic Youth. They meander between greatness and sludgy mess as a live band. I liked the last album but doubt I'll trek to London to see them.

Also Metz are playing at the Haunt in November

Shellac are one of my favourite live bands, and I've seen them five or six times. Always terrifyingly brilliant and brilliantly terrifying.
Never seen The Thing: I'm very keen to, and might even trek up to London for it. The bonus is that it's a weekend.
I first saw Dinosaur in 88 too. They were so loud that they forced a shift in my polytechnic's music policy. Their dodgy show was at a Thurston-curated ATP, where I first encountered Peter Brotzmann who was my star of that particular show.
I've got Michael Kiwanuka, Godspeed, Ghostpoet and Factory Floor performing Metropolis coming up.
Also saw Metz at Audio a few years back. Impressive, but ear-splitting stuff too.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
First time I went to The Dome in the early eighties was to see the Furs. Slightly pissed off that this one seems to have passed me by...

The C2 Psychedelic Furs gig also passed me by. They were the second band I saw following on from The Cure, both gigs at Hammersmith Odeon. At the Furs gig, there was a podgy guy with sprouting, spiky hair in front blocking my view -- one Robert Smith.

Think it sold out pretty quick. I've only seen them once, 1982 at the Pink Coconut (of all places)

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Showing my age, but I saw Elkie Brooks in Torquay last night. Good show and an absolutely amazing voice. At 72 she is doing really well. Played all her classics and some great covers too.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Source did a preview of next Saturday's gig co-headlining two of Brighton's best young live bands in Porridge Radio and Penelope Isles next Saturday at Latest Music Bar

I like Penelope Isles - saw them last year and bought some kind of homemade CD by them. Good stuff. Taking my wife and children to see their favourite band next week: The National.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Any NSC metalheads going to Mammothfest at the Arch this year. Spectacular line-up especially friday and saturday, Rotting Christ, Tsjuder, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Akercocke, The Infernal Sea and loads more, can't wait.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I went all cultured this week and attended the opening night of the Toronto Symphony Orchestra. It featured the world premiere of a suite based on the music for the film The Life of Pi, and they had flown Bombay Jayashri in from India to sing this little beauty

Next up, the Sherlocks.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Just announced: Belle & Sebastian - Brighton Dome on Thu 15 Mar 2018

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't think it's featured on here, but Rocket from the Crypt are playing Brighton later this year. They were enormous fun last time I saw them, some 20+ years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here