Votes: 166 34.9%

• Total voters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Afternoon all,

I've been reading with a mix of interest, agreement and despair the various posts on here since the transfer window slammed shut.

I have a hunch that there is a correlation between age and strength of views on how well (or not) the club has done.

This is not intended to criticise any view. Those of us, like me, the wrong side of 40, will probably always use the War Years as our reference point for good and bad. Younger supporters may be more focused on the future.

I'm an infrequent poster on here but like to write the occasional Albion blog and would be interested in the poll results to see if there is something in my hunch.

Cheers

I'm 60 next May. My reference point is:

"gonna fight fight fight for the Albion, till we win Division 3". Archie McCauley, Freddie Goodwin, Pat Saward, Saturday in the South Stand, midweek games in the West terrace.....

I missed most if not all the games in old Div 1 owing to circumstances. But I saw all the league games at Gillingham and, for the first several years, all th Withdean games.

I found the Amex to be such an upgrade from the Goldstone, with its comfy seats, clean and accessible toilets, 360 degree roof and permanetly green grass pitch, I found it hard to not weep with joy every time I set foot in it during our first season there.

The idea of having a fair chance of settling in the top division (after a few seasons of Burnley-style yoyo, perhaps) to me is staggering.

I remember the days when there was 11-14 thousand in the Goldstone, and the signing of a geriatric former Busby Babe filled me with excitement ('oo oo'). I remembr when the North was 'taken' by six noisy Gillingham supporters who plonked themselves halfway up behind the goal.

It was still Fantastic, but when you are used to Frey Bentos steak and kidney pie, even the idea of fillet steak is alien. Now its about whether the steak will be cooked badly, well or just right. Amazing.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Apparently you can tell how old a bloke is by how many undulating wrinkles he has on his nutsack .

I'm 167
As someone working in end of life/palliative care I can say from simple observation that one's scrotum seems to get smoother with age rather than more wrinkly! That said, I'm sure Bens Grandad will correct me if I'm wrong! I fall into the 54+ category, being 61years and four months old.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Extraordinary to find I am in the major demographic. I really though the 30 somethings would have it.

I would be very interested in a poll that asks the following (I don't know how to create a poll so maybe somone...)

Do you:

Think we are going to stay up, and support(ed) Brexit
Think we are going to be relegated, and support(ed) Brexit
Think we are going to stay up, and support(ed) Remain
Think we are going to be relegated, and support(ed) Remain

The poll could be called PRexit-ready or not? My hunch is that most votes will fall in two of the groups.

I am 69 and three quarters, voted Remain and think we will stay up.
We have had chances to score in all three games so far and are only one place behind Arsenal.
Living in Spain I will watch every game live so living the dream.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Twitter and Facebook groups

Yeah, that's probably a good call. These type of forums are reckoned to be pretty 'old school' compared to other newer forms of social media, (Pop Bitch have just closed theirs) and it's those of us who were around when the WWW first started who are more likely to use them.

Could vbulletin forums like NSC go the way of the printed fanzine? Personally I don't think so. I think this type of electronic format is still superior for discussions.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I hit the big 6 - 0 in 3 weeks time. I don't feel old at all but obviously am.

I still remember my first game, a 2 - 0 win against Wrexham a month after my 13th birthday, like it was yesterday.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
57 and next year is my 50th anniversary watching the Albion, although I can't claim to have watched them every year in that time due to moving away, falling out of love with the game in the 80s. So proud that we are in the top flight and love going to the Amex but the Premier League experience is already making me want to go watch local non-league football instead

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
23 so in the first age bracket but had a ST last season at Withdean and did quite a few home games there beforehand

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
63 missed the first good years as I was still playing, saw all the worst years, now moved away and missing the resurgence! I have got this wrong somewhere.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Putting the uppermost category as 54+ effectively puts punks, hippies and teddy boys in the same demographic and frankly that's just plain wrong. The 16-25 category also puts school kids in the same category as young professionals whilst completely ignoring those under 16 who might also be contributors. I would suggest redoing this poll with categories which reflect more accurately the age ranges and doesn't so easily dismiss the over fifty fives. Might I suggest:

Under 16
16-20
21-29
30-39
40-49
50-59
60-69
70-79
80+
I think with this age range the graph line will start to drop down at the 70-79 category or maybe even the 60-69 category.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here