Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Security checks at football grounds

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Just heard a thing on BBC news about people taking bags into grounds. Someone at Newcastle is suggesting it would speed things up if fans stopped bringing bags altogether, which I guess makes some kind of sense.

But ... much as I understand the need to be frisked on the way into grounds, a terrorist wanting to target a large number of people only has to turn up outside the ground as people are leaving (yes, that's on 80 minutes at the Amex) to have unfettered access to a big crowd. No security checks there.

Not sure what the solution is. Increased searches are unavoidable and understandable but I would guess the security forces would say it's partly just to reassure people. It's very hard to stop a determined terrorist.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
we dont need more security theatre, bag checks are quick enough if people just keep a few items.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
The searches the stewards perform are utterly pointless, every single one I've ever had consists of some disinterested bloke simply brushing his hands over my arms, sides and occasionally legs, no attempt to apply any pressure and actually feel for anything you shouldn't have on you. Even the ones that use the metal detecting wands don't do that properly, if it beeps they ask what it is and you can tell them anything i.e 'Its my phone mate', they very rarely check. Anyone determined enough could easily smuggle in a weapon if they wanted or a bomb in a false bottomed rucksack, all the searches really serve to do is give some reassurance that security is better to allay peoples fears. The trouble is if the stewards did proper searches no-one would ever get in before kick off and it would just take too long. One other thing I've never understood is this ridiculous rule that some stewards insist on removing small plastic bottle tops before you can enter the ground?!? When did anyone ever in the history of football get seriously injured or maimed by a small blue Buxton water bottle top? And if anyone was going to luzz something at someone surely they would chuck the heavy bottle of water, loose change or some other item more inherently dangerous than a flippin plastic bottle top!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The searches the stewards perform are utterly pointless, every single one I've ever had consists of some disinterested bloke simply brushing his hands over my arms, sides and occasionally legs, no attempt to apply any pressure and actually feel for anything you shouldn't have on you. Even the ones that use the metal detecting wands don't do that properly, if it beeps they ask what it is and you can tell them anything i.e 'Its my phone mate', they very rarely check. Anyone determined enough could easily smuggle in a weapon if they wanted or a bomb in a false bottomed rucksack, all the searches really serve to do is give some reassurance that security is better to allay peoples fears. The trouble is if the stewards did proper searches no-one would ever get in before kick off and it would just take too long. One other thing I've never understood is this ridiculous rule that some stewards insist on removing small plastic bottle tops before you can enter the ground?!? When did anyone ever in the history of football get seriously injured or maimed by a small blue Buxton water bottle top? And if anyone was going to luzz something at someone surely they would chuck the heavy bottle of water, loose change or some other item more inherently dangerous than a flippin plastic bottle top!

I assume the sniffer dogs might help with explosives?

Re the bottle tops, it's because if you throw a full bottle without a top the liquid will come out. But they don't do this at the amex fortunately.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I assume the sniffer dogs might help with explosives?

Re the bottle tops, it's because if you throw a full bottle without a top the liquid will come out. But they don't do this at the amex fortunately.

A full bottle of water even with the top off can still prove effective if thrown correctly. I know the real reason for taking the bottle tops off is of course to try and prevent bottles being thrown, it reminds me of a trip to Brentford once when the steward couldn't tell me why he needed the bottle top off and got all flustered and angry and threatened to deny me entry when I was simply asking why - I genuinely didn't know at that time and was completely confused by this stewards reaction.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Perhaps a see-through bag,like the aircraft carry-ons for liquids,might be an answer?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Perhaps a see-through bag,like the aircraft carry-ons for liquids,might be an answer?

See through clothes maybe?

pri_37484915.jpg

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The searches at Leicester were probably the most thorough I have experienced but even they weren't really adequate. Better checks = longer delays = crowds forming at entrance points to stadiums = targets. It's a difficult issue with no simple answers. We have to rely on the security services/police to assess the level and type of threat and adjust precautions accordingly.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Just heard a thing on BBC news about people taking bags into grounds. Someone at Newcastle is suggesting it would speed things up if fans stopped bringing bags altogether, which I guess makes some kind of sense.

But ... much as I understand the need to be frisked on the way into grounds, a terrorist wanting to target a large number of people only has to turn up outside the ground as people are leaving (yes, that's on 80 minutes at the Amex) to have unfettered access to a big crowd. No security checks there.

Not sure what the solution is. Increased searches are unavoidable and understandable but I would guess the security forces would say it's partly just to reassure people. It's very hard to stop a determined terrorist.

Absolutely impossible to deter a determined terrorist. All one can do is reduce the possibilites of it happening by making it as difficult as possible.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005

I believe they have already started doing this in America where they are also actively checking for guns. Certainly Orlando have.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I believe they have already started doing this in America where they are also actively checking for guns. Certainly Orlando have.

Villa Park next-oh,no the Johnson Crew are locked away!:)

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here