Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm killing time on a pointless scroll through £2500 - £3000 bikes (pointless because Tricky is a Giant guy and will buy a Giant :thumbsup: )

Anyway it's obviously been a while since I looked as I'm amazed just how many new 'performance' bikes are coming with disc brakes.

I guess it's marketing, gimmickry, advertising, and a large amount of money grab thrown in for good measure, but non of these bikes are likely to be ridden in the weather conditions that gives disc braking any kind of advantage over the groupset of choices caliber brake.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It pains me to say it but the BMC Teammachine gets rave reviews, if you go for the 105 model, you'll even have some change.

https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-teammachine-slr02-105-2017-road-bike-EV273212

While on the subject of bikes I either hate or just don't get, a friend of Col de Col has just bought the new Roubaix, and apparently won't shut up about how fantastic it is!

You're recommending a bike with fishing tackle on it SB!?

Have to say I'm disappointed, very disappointed. Especially so given the budget. :nono:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You're recommending a bike with fishing tackle on it SB!?

Have to say I'm disappointed, very disappointed. Especially so given the budget. :nono:

I'm not but quite a lot of other people do.
I have an irrational dislike for only 2 brands BMC & Trek, with the added bonus of I just don't understand the new Roubaix.

In fairness it's seems pretty tough to find complete bikes with Potenza or Chorus groupsets, which are supposedly in competition with Ultegra.
You can certainly forget anything from the Bianchi stable, as they never match up on price.

But as said I'm more surprised by seemingly everything having disc brakes, I've definitely been out of the bike buying loop for a while.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have been riding a hard tail MTB for past few years
That's a shame, I'm sorry.
I decided to get a road bike as I probably spend more time on the road than trails with the MTB.

I brought a Scott Solace 20 Disc 2016 (105 Group set)
I been dead impressed with it, and now much prefer to ride this than the MTB.
Of course you do, my child.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I have been riding a hard tail MTB for past few years for abit of fitness but mostly run, and a couple of months ago I decided to get a road bike as I probably spend more time on the road than trails with the MTB.

I brought a Scott Solace 20 Disc 2016 (105 Group set)

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/scott-solace-20-disc-2016-road-bike.html

I been dead impressed with it, and now much prefer to ride this than the MTB.

Im still very much split down the middle when it comes to road or MTB riding...I enjoy both immensely tbh!

Had an email from Giant to say that my replacement frame is built up & ready to roll - less than 2 weeks since I wiped out & snapped the original. Pretty impressed with that tbh.

This isn't my actual bike, but the frame is the one I've been given....gorgeous (Stat, look away now....)

Attachments

• Giant_Stance_Mountain_Bike_Action_2017_16.jpg
    Giant_Stance_Mountain_Bike_Action_2017_16.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 77

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So who's running this years Le Tour thread?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Im still very much split down the middle when it comes to road or MTB riding...I enjoy both immensely tbh!

Completely agree. I have been out on my MTB a lot recently - much more than on my road bike, and I absolutely love it. Those who dismiss mountain biking are missing out on so much fun - there is little that is more exhilirating than a bumpy descent through the trees or down chalky downland in the sunshine.

It's like a completely different sport, and when the trails are dry and dusty, I may even prefer it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Completely agree. I have been out on my MTB a lot recently - much more than on my road bike, and I absolutely love it. Those who dismiss mountain biking are missing out on so much fun - there is little that is more exhilirating than a bumpy descent through the trees or down chalky downland in the sunshine.

It's like a completely different sport, and when the trails are dry and dusty, I may even prefer it.

Just don't injury your pointing finger Pogue

side-view-of-a-female-biker-on-landscape-pointing-towards-the-mountain-C5E1JB.jpg

I believe that can keep you off the trails for months. :lol: :kiss:

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London

Agreed, I've been riding mountain bikes a lot longer than road bikes, totally different sport, MTB is a real full body work out when done right, but it's a pain to load bikes and gear into a car, drive to a decent spot to spend the day riding. The local trails around me aren't technical enough to keep me entertained for more than a couple hours. That's where road riding comes in, save the drive, cycle longer.

Does make trips to the Alps more fun. I can ride road bike and knacker the legs and ride (lift assisted) mountain bikes and knacker the hands/arms. It's like rest days without the rest.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Woohoo! It's TDF time - well near enough.

Here's the fantasy league for the event:
League code: 21474429

Entries close on Saturday 1 July at 2pm so there's plenty of time to forget completely all about this.

As ever, all are welcome as it improves my chances of not finishing last.

Nearly TDF time. There's currently 9 of us entered the league and, rather happily, I can report I'm joint first (on nil points).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here