Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it just me?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Bloom says that he can't carry on losing £20m a year and has to either sell or quit chasing promotion.

Direct quote? Link?

As I said, I like the Championship. If we get promoted, we are going to lose more than we win. We will have to play defensively to try to get a draw most of the time. Ok, I might get to cross two more grounds off of my list, but after that?
Obviously, I want to get to promoted, but it isn't the be all and end all. I just like going to games.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Bloom says that he can't carry on losing £20m a year and has to either sell or quit chasing promotion.
This.

Of course the £20 million does include the accounting depreciation of already spent money on the stadium and training ground, so it's not all new cash that Tony has to find down the back of the sofa each season.

But although less than £20 million, the principle point is a good one.

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing
I felt like that last season. What's the worst that can happen?
We stay in the Championship having been beaten in the playoffs. I like the Championship.
We lose some good players. I trust Bloom & Hughton to get some more good players.

These are exciting times. Every game means something. It's not boring. Enjoy it. It's not a relegation battle.

Spot on. Football is about excitement, nerves and emotions. I`d prefer a 3 horse down to the wire promotion race rather than stroll to the title with 6 games left. And if we miss out again, hey ho, another exciting nail biting season will come around in no time.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
My daily routine.

Wake up.... Northstandchat..... Argus.... Table....... Fixtures....... Northstandchat...... Table...... Fixtures..... Other Clubs Forums.... Northstandchat..... Fixtures..... Tables......

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Spot on. Football is about excitement, nerves and emotions. I`d prefer a 3 horse down to the wire promotion race rather than stroll to the title with 6 games left. And if we miss out again, hey ho, another exciting nail biting season will come around in no time.
Hmmmm, are you sure?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Direct quote? Link?

As I said, I like the Championship. If we get promoted, we are going to lose more than we win. We will have to play defensively to try to get a draw most of the time. Ok, I might get to cross two more grounds off of my list, but after that?
Obviously, I want to get to promoted, but it isn't the be all and end all. I just like going to games.
Why would there be a direct quote or a link ?

The statement was made by the poster in response to a question about what is the worst that could happen.

Not all alternative futures are already mapped out and referenced with internet links in advance.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

As others have said, this is the time you will ultimately look back on as one of the best times to be supporting the Club. Have a think about how supporters of Derby and Birmingham must feel.. the former for whom this year was simply about getting over the line having been "close" for a few seasons, and now even the play-offs appear to be slipping away. The latter for whom the play-offs were a genuine possibility and that dream has been snatched away with the sacking of a good manager. The nerves caused by hope/excitement are a whole lot better than the frustration of disappointment, or worse the lack of excitement driven by mediocrity.. add to that list Forest, Villa etc etc. Enjoy these times.. they may be a long time before we get them again! For Newcastle, there must be genuine fear of not winning the championship or not securing a top 2.. within the next week or so they could be in the play-offs, treading water, wondering if their manager and all their starlets will stay - and then what!!
That said, what with the Albion and my U17 team on the brink of glory, I am driving myself potty looking at scenario after scenario....

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
This.

Of course the £20 million does include the accounting depreciation of already spent money on the stadium and training ground, so it's not all new cash that Tony has to find down the back of the sofa each season.

But although less than £20 million, the principle point is a good one.

Erm, I think you'll find £20M is a 'good' number (depreciation is £5M)

BHA Accts.jpg

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I felt like that last season. What's the worst that can happen?
We stay in the Championship having been beaten in the playoffs. I like the Championship.
We lose some good players. I trust Bloom & Hughton to get some more good players.

These are exciting times. Every game means something. It's not boring. Enjoy it. It's not a relegation battle.

You are quite right in that these are indeed exciting times. when we failed to go up last year, I was really disappointed and also angry at the unbelievable bad luck, and consoled myself with the thought that we do again have Championship football, which most of us would agree has been largely very good. However, if TB really wants to rein in the finances, this time I do slightly fear that with a fire-sale of our best players, should we not make the PL, then the replacements may not be as good, even with the expertise of the recruitment department. It might mean mid-table "mediocrity". We really do have to it this season.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I could be wrong, but I think that was just [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] 's response to the question "what's the worst that could happen".

The unspoken end to that question was 'this season'. Yes, in the long run, Bloom could sell up, but that question was just for this season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Direct quote? Link?
As others have said, I was just responding to your question.

I don't for a minute think I'd enjoy football in the PL as much as I've enjoyed the last 19 months, but I want promotion because there's no guarantee Tony can afford to keep throwing so much money at the team. Now if Tony released a statement saying that while he'd like promotion, he can afford to keep us going like this for another 50 years, I'd chill out. But he's not, so the football is becoming less enjoyable for me now as we've got so much to lose.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
As others have said, I was just responding to your question.

I don't for a minute think I'd enjoy football in the PL as much as I've enjoyed the last 19 months, but I want promotion because there's no guarantee Tony can afford to keep throwing so much money at the team. Now if Tony released a statement saying that while he'd like promotion, he can afford to keep us going like this for another 50 years, I'd chill out. But he's not, so the football is becoming less enjoyable for me now as we've got so much to lose.

Actually the worst that could happen is something happening to Tony himself. As I just posted, my question was referring to this season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The unspoken end to that question was 'this season'. Yes, in the long run, Bloom could sell up, but that question was just for this season.
No it wasn't, you're backtracking. You said:
"I felt like that last season. What's the worst that can happen? We stay in the Championship having been beaten in the playoffs. I like the Championship. We lose some good players. I trust Bloom & Hughton to get some more good players."

How would we be losing players and then buying more if you just meant this season? You asked what was the worst that could happen, I answered. Even if Tony can keep going, other problems could include losing our manager (he's not immune to PL offers) and completely rebuilding. Derby looked great a few years ago, decent for much of last season and some of this season. Now it looks like they won't even make the playoffs. This league is so tough and keeps getting tougher.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Right, so you were unclear with your fairly ambiguous question, not to worry. As it happens, I still agree with Triggaaar's post even since the added detail of 'this season'.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
No it wasn't, you're backtracking. You said:
"I felt like that last season. What's the worst that can happen? We stay in the Championship having been beaten in the playoffs. I like the Championship. We lose some good players. I trust Bloom & Hughton to get some more good players."
How would we be losing players and then buying more if you just meant this season? You asked what was the worst that could happen, I answered. Even if Tony can keep going, other problems could include losing our manager (he's not immune to PL offers) and completely rebuilding. Derby looked great a few years ago, decent for much of last season and some of this season. Now it looks like they won't even make the playoffs. This league is so tough and keeps getting tougher.

We would lose Stephens, possibly Stockdale and Bong this season. All good players. You read it as you want. I know what I meant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here