Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ferris Bueller's day off

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Matthew Broderick ploughed headfirst into another car in Ireland in 1987 killing the driver and the passenger. Jennifer Grey was in the car with him and turned her back on acting afterward, only ever popping up in a couple of Friends episodes early on in the show. Broderick was charged and found guilty of careless driving and fined a whopping $170 despite driving in the wrong lane and a Police Officer having earlier told him the route he was taking was stupidly dangerous with the expected weather conditions.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Two more films that fall into that category:

Labyrinth - saw it as a kid, love it.
The Princess Bride - didn't see it as a kid, not fussed about it at all.

Yes, I'm the same with both those films, Labyrinth is one of my favourites and I saw Princes Bride a couple of years ago and thought it was a bit pants.
I imagine Ghostbusters is pretty similar, I'm firmly in the "saw it as a kid and still think it's BRILLIANT" category.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
The Princess Bride - didn't see it as a kid, not fussed about it at all.

Inconceivable!

Like many of the films mentioned, you have to be of a certain age to watch them otherwise the "magic" is gone and they are actually just average films. Catch them at the right time though and they will always be amazingly brilliant.

Inigo-Montoya.jpeg

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Jennifer Grey.....did I have a thing about her in my teens.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you haven't seen it, don't bother. We've built it up too much now, and you're no doubt old and a bit dull, so you won't enjoy it.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I'm determined to go to my grave having not seen Top Gun, solely to wind up everyone who has seen it who says I MUST see it.

I just don't want to!

I blubbed my eyes out over the 'Goose outcome' in Top Goon. Worth a watch, if only for Tom Cruise's VERY strangely shaped pecs (sort of round and far apart) in the beach volleyball match when him and Goose are skins - if that's what Scientology does to your tits then I'm glad I'm not a member!

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
If you ask a question, in either a work or social setting, it is vital to follow the aforementioned question up with: "Anyone?.......Anyone?" Trust me, the punters love it, and if they look at you as if you're a complete idiot (they will) you go with: "Well someone here must have seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off!...Anyone?.....Anyone?"

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
This may be an unpopular point of view, but I have to say it: love the film, hate Bueller. If he were real, he'd be an investment banker now.

I have an even more unpopular view. I hated Bueller and hated the film. I wanted his Headteacher to catch him. He was the personification of the Reagan years: take what you want and damn everyone else. Why anyone would like him is utterly beyond me. Bueller's face was what I imagined Patrick Batemen looked like when reading American Psycho.

I should say that I have never met anyone who agrees with me.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I have an even more unpopular view. I hated Bueller and hated the film. I wanted his Headteacher to catch him. He was the personification of the Reagan years: take what you want and damn everyone else. Why anyone would like him is utterly beyond me. Bueller's face was what I imagined Patrick Batemen looked like when reading American Psycho.

I should say that I have never met anyone who agrees with me.

On the contrary, Ferris he's actually much kinder and likeable than he's given credit for. Yeah he may nick a reservation here and there and come across a bit smarmy but think of all the students who say they've been helped out in some way by him, and especially if you interpret the day off as his attempt to save Cameron (In my opinion the true protagonist of the film).

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
On the contrary, Ferris he's actually much kinder and likeable than he's given credit for. Yeah he may nick a reservation here and there and come across a bit smarmy but think of all the students who say they've been helped out in some way by him, and especially if you interpret the day off as his attempt to save Cameron (In my opinion the true protagonist of the film).

He's a kind guy but an immeasurably smug one.

Then again, if you subscribe to the notion that he doesn't really exist in any physical sense and is instead representative of Cameron's 'inner battle' to shake off his demons then it could be said Cameron is in fact a smug git waiting to happen.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
He's a kind guy but an immeasurably smug one.

Then again, if you subscribe to the notion that he doesn't really exist in any physical sense and is instead representative of Cameron's 'inner battle' to shake off his demons then it could be said Cameron is in fact a smug git waiting to happen.

I'd forgive Cameron a bit of smugness, particularly after trashing such a "fine auto-mobile" :lol:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
think of all the students who say they've been helped out in some way by him.

Ah, the Ricky Gervias school of character development. Derek must be kind, because all the other characters keep saying he is kind.

Whilst they are all saying how nice he is, doesn't Bueller trick the students into thinking he is seriously ill or dying? (Sorry if I have this wrong. It's a long time since I saw it.)

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
This may be an unpopular point of view, but I have to say it: love the film, hate Bueller. If he were real, he'd be an investment banker now.

I'm with you tinycowboy. Bueller is the epitome of smug. He has the kind of face and demeanour that makes me instantly want to give him a good slap.

The only good thing about the film is the splendid use of Oh Yeah by Yello

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003

"Oh, he's very popular Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I agree that Ferris comes off as entitled and smug, and think his popularity is lots to do with a) kids being naive & gullible idiots (e.g. the easy classification into groups; the ask-no-questions collection, the "Bueller... Bueller..." scene) and b) his wealth; which isn't alluded to but does appear as a theme in other John Hughes movies.

Personally I love the film, and do root for Ferris but not because he's likeable. I think I root for Ferris because he represents a non-catastrophic upset to the status quo (nothing he does will endanger his future. @tinycowboy is right; he would be an investment banker now) and because at 17 he still believes that anything is possible.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I agree that Ferris comes off as entitled and smug, and think his popularity is lots to do with a) kids being naive & gullible idiots (e.g. the easy classification into groups; the ask-no-questions collection, the "Bueller... Bueller..." scene) and b) his wealth; which isn't alluded to but does appear as a theme in other John Hughes movies.

Personally I love the film, and do root for Ferris but not because he's likeable. I think I root for Ferris because he represents a non-catastrophic upset to the status quo (nothing he does will endanger his future. @tinycowboy is right; he would be an investment banker now) and because at 17 he still believes that anything is possible.

The problem here is that he's the kind of teenager we may have secretly wanted to be - popular, wealthy, Midas touch, future secure - but we see that all this comes at a price (self-love and absorption, he's a bit of a tw*t), but the uncomfortable question is one that can continue in life - is having those traits a price worth paying for success in life (not that they're pre-requisites)?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The problem here is that he's the kind of teenager we may have secretly wanted to be - popular, wealthy, Midas touch, future secure - but we see that all this comes at a price (self-love and absorption, he's a bit of a tw*t), but the uncomfortable question is one that can continue in life - is having those traits a price worth paying for success in life (not that they're pre-requisites)?

True that. Though in my view there's no price too high for a 5 minute fumble with Sloane Peterson.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here