Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What the feck has happened to Phil Collins?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I certainly wasn’t having a pop at him. One of my favourite albums, and I’ll probably get slated for it on here, is “Duke” It’s just very sad that he’s deteriorated so rapidly in recent years. I wasn’t aware of this until I saw the pictures today.

No slating from me, he is a legend in the industry and I have every album and most of the singles that he and Genesis ever produced.
My favourite album would be a toss up between Duke and Trick of the Tail.
Maybe some people just don't get it, but the musical phrasing, especially in the interludes is fantastic.
Playing in keys and using chords that are rarely played in sequence, hence the appeal to like minded people I suppose, might be a musician's thing.
Hasn't got a fantastic voice, but the songs suited him.
Always looked old I think and if that is what extreme prolonged drumming does for you I am glad to be a Saxman.
Don't know anything about his private life, though it was probably torrid going by the songs written.
Going to have to read the biography I think.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If you get a chance read his book. Basically his health failed once he stopped playing. Someone who did not drink to excess while he was touring and playing became depressed and an alcoholic once retired. Had liver issue and almost died. I know people have a irrational dislike of him, but to me he is a total legend. The music of Genesis and his early albums could not be further away from the songs of his they play on the radio. Saw him in concert a few time solo and Genesis and the best live band I have seen, and I have seen many.

It seems even the most successful people can have daemons, really sad.

This

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No slating from me, he is a legend in the industry and I have every album and most of the singles that he and Genesis ever produced.
My favourite album would be a toss up between Duke and Trick of the Tail.
Maybe some people just don't get it, but the musical phrasing, especially in the interludes is fantastic.
Playing in keys and using chords that are rarely played in sequence, hence the appeal to like minded people I suppose, might be a musician's thing.
Hasn't got a fantastic voice, but the songs suited him.
Always looked old I think and if that is what extreme prolonged drumming does for you I am glad to be a Saxman.
Don't know anything about his private life, though it was probably torrid going by the songs written.
Going to have to read the biography I think.

Selling England by the pound my favourite.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Moved to Switzerland when Blair got in. That's real forward planning given the state of him.

Good to see there is some positive aspects of the Blair legacy.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
She is a disgusting excuse for a woman. Doesn't look to me as though any of her has escaped the plastic surgeon's knife. Her face is as scary as anything I've ever seen. Cannot believe that she, and no doubt he, thinks she looks attractive.

I can’t imagine why anyone does that to themselves, either it’s vanity or insecurity. You see a lot of famous American actresses do it and then when they need a old person for a part in a film they normally get a british actress as she looks normal and has not buggered about with their face. Getting older is not ugly it’s natural. I would prefer to look old then freaky.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
To quote Jimmy Page "how the **** did you have a career in Rock? You're shit"

I wouldn't be surprised if Collins/Genesis albums out sold Page's, horses for courses.
Music has different genres and one muso slating off others is really bad taste IMO.
Both are good at what they do, they are just different styles.
Funny how PC never criticises those that criticise his music, shows a touch of class.
You might not like what others do, but you shouldn't knock them for it.
I really wish that I had the voice for this song, would love to do it live:-
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YcY3FH208l8
................and Clapton on guitar!
The video is very cheesy, but with the song production, gospel singing, crescendos, guitar work, what's not to like.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I wouldn't be surprised if Collins/Genesis albums out sold Page's, horses for courses.
Music has different genres and one muso slating off others is really bad taste IMO.
Both are good at what they do, they are just different styles.
Funny how PC never criticises those that criticise his music, shows a touch of class.
You might not like what others do, but you shouldn't knock them for it.
I really wish that I had the voice for this song, would love to do it live:-
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YcY3FH208l8
................and Clapton on guitar!
The video is very cheesy, but with the song production, gospel singing, crescendos, guitar work, what's not to like.

Quite a lot actually.

As Jimmy Page would say “it’s shit”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here