Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Do you believe the Earth is flat?

Do you believe the Earth is flat?

• Yes, I firmly believe the Earth is flat

Votes: 30 11.1%
  • I'm unsure, but the Earth could be flat

Votes: 12 4.4%
  • I believe The Earth is absolutely NOT flat

Votes: 229 84.5%

• Total voters

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I was surprised to learn on the Fred, Sav and the Ping Pong Guy podcast that Freddie Flintoff is a flat-earther. And no, he didn’t seem to be on a wind-up either. His question was this. If he stood at the “top” of the world and drilled a hole all the way through the planet and out of the other side, then climbed down into the hole on a ladder aaalll the way through to the other side (ignoring the fact you’d be incinerated by molten lava well before you got anywhere near the core), then what way round would you emerge through the hole at the other end – feet first, or head first ? At what point do you stop climbing down, and start climbing up ?

Hang on. I’ve confused myself now.

You would emerge from the hole feet first.

Gravity would dictate that you are 'climbing up' once you pass the earths core. However you would be climbing up a ladder upside down.

He's a very clever man. His question is concerning.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Flat earth.jpg

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Oh yeah, I have just remembered one from Jeremy Vine.
"When you fly in a plane at a very high altitude you can see the curvature of the earth, especially Concorde"
" That is because the fuselage of a plane is curved so the window gives you a 'fish eye' effect, it's also to do with that little hole in the bottom of the window".
Fantastic.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You would emerge from the hole feet first.

Gravity would dictate that you are 'climbing up' once you pass the earths core. However you would be climbing up a ladder upside down.

He's a very clever man. His question is concerning.

*mind blown*

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Do they believe earth is like a plate, round but flat?

To be fair, slating people for believing in an insane idea is a bit hypocritical of humanity when you consider that Trump was voted in as President of the USA, Brexit, talk of micro chipping children by politicians, ideas of asteroids being used as weapons of mass destruction and Benteke costing 27 million quid.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
There have been reports of three escapees from Broadmoor.

Or, on the other hand, the earth is flat, like a saucer, and the Amex is the cup.
For spoons, I can let NSC, guess who they are.......

Brightonrock01

May 22, 2017
Augusta, Ga, USA
Reminds me of a Mitch Hedberg joke (God bless 'im):

'I wanna hang a map of the world in my house. Then I'm gonna put pins into all the locations that I've traveled to. But first, I'm gonna have to travel to the top two corners of the map so it won't fall down'.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Interesting that he uses what 'scientists say' to argue with Phil at the end there, so he obviously believes those scientists. So they are trustworthy in that instance, but they are liars when they disagree with him :rolleyes:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Like the rest of the conspiracy theory world it’s just a few people who don’t believe it making s fortune out of the stupid and vulnerable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Oh yeah, I have just remembered one from Jeremy Vine.
"When you fly in a plane at a very high altitude you can see the curvature of the earth, especially Concorde"
" That is because the fuselage of a plane is curved so the window gives you a 'fish eye' effect, it's also to do with that little hole in the bottom of the window".
Fantastic.

The guy explained that question with Phillip Schofield. Something to do with being 10 miles in the air or something like that.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The guy explained that question with Phillip Schofield. Something to do with being 10 miles in the air or something like that.
They must have a list of all the possible questions so that they can reply with a stupid answer, if you asked a flat earther that question they would probably all give the same reply.
I wonder what they think when they see pictures from the space station, something readily available.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
One of my Wife's old school friends is a Flat Earther and always posting illiterate nonsense on Facebook to apparently prove that the earth is flat. I have clicked on some of the links and it seems that this is now a massive movement, what I couldn't understand was that with all the money that they are spending running the flat earth society, holding conferences and funding a lunatic from texas to build his own rocket why they don't all chip in together and spend the 15 grand or so needed to take a Mig 29 to the edge of space http://www.migflug.com/en/jet-fighter-flights/flying-with-a-jet/mig-29-edge-of-space.html

The problem seems to be that much of the motivation behind this is driven by religion, people want to believe that the earth is flat and at the centre of the universe, that the sun revolves around the earth and not the other way round as this apparently is what the bible tells them. Its the same as the lot that still reject Darwin and believe the old testament view of creation, no matter how much evidence you provide to the contrary it goes in one ear and out the other!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I used to work with a Flearther, absolute idiot.
Everything was a conspiracy too.

He may be on here, *cough* loonz *cough*

Luckily I won't see his reply :lolol:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Do they believe earth is like a plate, round but flat?

To be fair, slating people for believing in an insane idea is a bit hypocritical of humanity when you consider that Trump was voted in as President of the USA, Brexit, talk of micro chipping children by politicians, ideas of asteroids being used as weapons of mass destruction and Benteke costing 27 million quid.
People shouldn't be slated for disbelieving something that is demonstrably provable and objective because lots of other people believe something that is completely subjective?

That there is a textbook straw man argument.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
One of my Wife's old school friends is a Flat Earther and always posting illiterate nonsense on Facebook to apparently prove that the earth is flat. I have clicked on some of the links and it seems that this is now a massive movement, what I couldn't understand was that with all the money that they are spending running the flat earth society, holding conferences and funding a lunatic from texas to build his own rocket why they don't all chip in together and spend the 15 grand or so needed to take a Mig 29 to the edge of space http://www.migflug.com/en/jet-fighter-flights/flying-with-a-jet/mig-29-edge-of-space.html

The problem seems to be that much of the motivation behind this is driven by religion, people want to believe that the earth is flat and at the centre of the universe, that the sun revolves around the earth and not the other way round as this apparently is what the bible tells them. Its the same as the lot that still reject Darwin and believe the old testament view of creation, no matter how much evidence you provide to the contrary it goes in one ear and out the other!

One of the joys of believing in bollocks is that seeking proof undermines faith. The more astounding the bollocks, the smugger you feel when you proclaim your belief.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

Look at Captain Butthurt squealing my name all the time.:clap2:

The thinking goes if Trump can be memed into the white house then it shouldn't be to difficult to convince people the world is flat with memes or get kids to eat soap detergent etc . The question isn't is the world flat but is meme magic real?

Most flerther groups on facebook have been set up and run by trolls taking part, changing sides and having fun. Dont underestimate how stupid a section of the population can be.

Heres a couple I joined.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1671366309859692/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/327937230942806/

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Of course it is flat! IMG_0213.JPG

The great a'tuin floating through the multiverse, and the earth is flat carried on the back of four huge elephants who are in turn carried by A'Tuin

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

Not on here, he's an Arsenal 'fan' (when it suits)
I've mentioned him on other threads, he's a total biscuit spitter when it comes to conspiracies. 9/11, JFK, moon landing, pyramids/aliens blah blah blah. I'm pretty sure he thinks Indiana Jones and the kingdom of the crystal skulls is a documentary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here