Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] All the permutations

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
My mistake.

161,051 outcomes (including GD) based on a maximum 6 goals scored in any of the remaining games.

:shootself

Albion 3-0 Derby
Boro 1-0 Albion

Burnley 2-4 QPR
Charlton 2-3 Burnley

means an extra game and a few other permutations within a six maximum goals may do as well?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
5 matches

Albion v Derby
Birmingham v Middlesbrough
Burnley v QPR
Middlesbrough v Albion
Charlton v Burnley

Each with 3 possible outcomes.

3 to the power 5 = 243

its a simple, straight 5 x 3 for the number of outcomes. if we didnt play Middlesborough it'd be 6x3.

though on reflection it is potentially more complex with goal difference. but in points terms theres 15 outcomes.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I haven't put how the results affect the table (that would require taking account of goals scored) because that's too much for this time of night, but here are, I think, all the combinations of wins draws and losses.

permutations.png

Pickles

May 5, 2014
There's 243 different combinations of Win Lose Draw for the top 3 teams.

I genuinely take my hat off to you for this great statistic.:clap2:
However, I reckon you could be chucking out around 235 of those.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
its a simple, straight 5 x 3 for the number of outcomes. if we didnt play Middlesborough it'd be 6x3.

though on reflection it is potentially more complex with goal difference. but in points terms theres 15 outcomes.

Over 2 games any team can have 6 points outcomes (0,1,2,3,4,6) - but there are 2 ways of getting 1,3 or 4 points (I.e. 1 pt = either DL or LD). So there are 9 permutations before you get to GD / GS issues. That's just for one team, say BHA. Burnley has the same 9 independent outcomes, however because we play Boro the only independent outcomes for them that aren't factored into BHA's 9 are the 3 possible outcomes from their game with Brum.
So there are 21 (9+9+3) different and independent outcomes, 3 of which (I.e. the order in which Burnley would pick up 1,3 or 4 points) are completely irrelevant unless you want to focus on GD / GS. So there are 18 meaningful permutations of results - possibly, probably...going for another lie down....

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Is this it [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] ? PS: there are lot of scenarios in here which see us promoted :albion2:

Brighton L L - Play Offs
Brighton D W - Promoted
Brighton D L or L D - Promoted ONLY if Burnley L L
Brighton W L - Promoted only if Burnley either a) don't win again this season or b) promoted on goal difference if Burnley win once and can swing back the 3 goal difference and don't get thumped at Boro.
Brighton WW - Promoted
Brighton L W - a) If Boro lose v Brum then Brighton promoted. b) If Boro draw v Brum then Brighton promoted.c) If Boro win v Brum then only on GD and would requires a substantial goal swing so minimal Derby loss IF Burnley WW d) If Boro win and Burnley fail to win again this season then Brighton promoted.
Brighton D D - Promoted only if Burnley lose v QPR and either draw or lose v Charlton OR Boro lose v Brum

Schedule
Friday Apr 29th: 7.45pm Boro v Birmingham
Mon: May 2nd: 2pm Derby v Brighton
Mon: May 2nd: 4.30pm Burnley v QPR
Saturday May 7th: Charlton v Burnley
Saturday May 7th: Boro v Brighton

Last edited:

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Is this it ?

Brighton L L - Play Offs
Brighton D W - Promoted
Brighton W L - Promoted only if Burnley either a) don't win again this season or b) Burnley win once and Brighton thump Derby by > 4 or 5 .
Brighton WW - Promoted
Brighton L W - Either Promoted on GD if we overtake Boro so a 2 or 3-0 win or GD not an issue if Burnley fail to win again.
Brighton D D - Promoted only if Burnley lose v QPR and either draw or lose v Charlton OR Boro lose v Brum

Schedule

Be promoted with LL if one of the others also LL by 3 (Boro) or 4 (Burnley) more and don't have silly scores that mean they exceed our GS. Rather unlikely...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
thanks to [MENTION=19156]warmleyseagull[/MENTION]
A slight edit on the LL and also thanks to Edna on Twitter - oops i missed W D in that order.

Brighton L L - Promoted only if Burnley LL by more goals than Albion's LL + 3 more.
Brighton W D - Promoted a) if Burnley fail to win both games or less. b) or Boro fail to win v Brum c) or on GD assuming Burnley WW, Boro win v Brum and our win v Derby is a thumping 6 nil or more
Brighton D W - Promoted.
Brighton W L - Promoted only if Burnley either a) don't win again this season or b) promoted on goal difference if Burnley win once and can swing back the 3 goal difference and don't get thumped at Boro.
Brighton WW - Promoted
Brighton L W - a) If Boro lose v Brum then Brighton promoted. b) If Boro draw v Brum then Brighton promoted.c) If Boro win v Brum then only on GD and would requires a substantial goal swing so minimal Derby loss IF Burnley WW d) If Boro win and Burnley fail to win again this season then Brighton promoted.

Schedule

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Hope QPR somehow beat Burnley* then if Boro and us both win play out a dull 0-0 draw to secure promotion for both of us. Would be the ideal scenario as I really want Burnley to get what's coming to them.

*not gonna happen

Er, bit worried no one has corrected this.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
As long as we don't lose to Derby we can go up at boro

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Er, bit worried no one has corrected this.

Corrected what? If both us and Boro win our next game and Burnley were to lose against QPR it would be:

Boro 90
Us 90
Burnley 87

Thus a draw on the final day of the season would mean both of us are promoted, no matter what. Not sure what you are getting at.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Not going to list all 243 of them but it is 3 to the power 5.

5 matches each with 3 different outcomes.

Should this not be higher given that the teams are level on points and therefore goal difference goals scored and a play off before the play offs may be required.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here