Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Going backwards in every respect

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Against a side tipped by many to go down.

This is the most worrying aspect from today. IMO Sheffield Wed will be one of the more lowly teams you will see at the Amex this season. We really should be getting 3 points from these teams, but it's clear we're not good enough.....let's hope we can get 3-4 decent players in before the deadline.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
And what if they don't? Will you go off and support Arsenal or some other Premier League team? I've been watching the Albion since 1969 on and off, they are in my blood, I had a season ticket when we were averaging 3500 in the last Goldstone years, bottom of the fourth division, trust me , this is heaven compared to that

With the utmost respect, expectations change and what is different between when we were bottom of the fourth division and now is just that, a different time, situation and circumstance. The club is building the expectation and getting the infrastructure in place, asking people to buy in more in the push for Premiership football and that is the goal of the club. Why? Because for a club the expectation back in the dark times was not for Prem success but for league survival, now we are closer to the Prem, the clubs expectation and goal has changed. The high season ticket prices, deals with Amex, the Stadium, Academy and Nike kit, the club is pushing for it.

So when that's the message and then the club don't back it up on the pitch to match it, that's why it will wind people up. We are paying PLR prices as [MENTION=647]Seagull73[/MENTION] says and some will stop going if the club don't deliver (not me)

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
And what if they don't? Will you go off and support Arsenal or some other Premier League team? I've been watching the Albion since 1969 on and off, they are in my blood, I had a season ticket when we were averaging 3500 in the last Goldstone years, bottom of the fourth division, trust me , this is heaven compared to that

Are you touting for a medal, I started in 68 but our expectations are somewhat more than the present board who are now looking more towards the academy to replace outgoing player's which is good but there has to be a balance

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

Of course you don't support any other club, I'm just trying to put into context why people are feeling a bit miffed by what's going on. Of course we've had much worse times, which is why I'm saying that 'expectation' is what the club has to meet.

Are you saying you would be happy if the squad wasn't significantly improved by Aug 31?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
In happy to wait until end of August before judging the club, Bloom and Burke. If we have the same squad at the end of August we will be bottom half, season over.

However if that is the case Hyppia can't be blamed. This is about player recruitment.

If however we make three quality signings then we have a chance. I am less than confident that we will though.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Of course you don't support any other club, I'm just trying to put into context why people are feeling a bit miffed by what's going on. Of course we've had much worse times, which is why I'm saying that 'expectation' is what the club has to meet.

Are you saying you would be happy if the squad wasn't significantly improved by Aug 31?

If the club can't afford it this season ,then yes, i would be ok with it. I really realky want us to be successful, but not at the cost of the future of the club. I can't see how the football league will be able to go back on FFP without completely losing what remains of their credibility, and the clubs who appear to be going for sh*t or bust, may hopefully have to answer for it. Do you believe as some on here appears to, that Tony Bloom doesnt crave success more than us?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
If the club can't afford it this season ,then yes, i would be ok with it. I really realky want us to be successful, but not at the cost of the future of the club. I can't see how the football league will be able to go back on FFP without completely losing what remains of their credibility, and the clubs who appear to be going for sh*t or bust, may hopefully have to answer for it. Do you believe as some on here appears to, that Tony Bloom doesnt crave success more than us?

I think he craves success but is not a bottomless pit hence looking for bargain signings which inevitably starts to grate as we are supposedly PLR as Mr Barber stated

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I think he craves success but is not a bottomless pit hence looking for bargain signings which inevitably starts to grate as we are supposedly PLR as Mr Barber stated

I agree, and after spending the thick end of 150 million who can blame him. However much a season ticket, a pint of Harveys, and a pie costs us, Tony Bloom would lose a hell of a lot more if we were allowed to go down, or even have one or two bad seasons, and that is why I trust him, probably more than I should, I think he is a better buisness man than that

I really am growing sick and tired of hearing people regurgitate the same ' be thankful it could be/was worse' mantra. Every single Albion fan is appreciative of the dire straights we progressed through in order to be where we are now yet we are very much in the 'now' and that involves extortionate prices that justify fans to expect a certain standard of football.

It's a very odd situation at the moment. The Theme Park is built, the customers are arriving, yet the big roller coasters that used to be there have been replaced by pin the tail on the donkey and an egg and spoon race, all for the same cost. The point being we have invested in everything accept the main attraction, the players. Considering how astute and talented a Chairman Tony Bloom is, I am very surprised at our current predicament on the field of play.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
I really am growing sick and tired of hearing people regurgitate the same ' be thankful it could be/was worse' mantra. Every single Albion fan is appreciative of the dire straights we progressed through in order to be where we are now yet we are very much in the 'now' and that involves extortionate prices that justify fans to expect a certain standard of football.

It's a very odd situation at the moment. The Theme Park is built, the customers are arriving, yet the big roller coasters that used to be there have been replaced by pin the tail on the donkey and an egg and spoon race, all for the same cost. The point being we have invested in everything accept the main attraction, the players. Considering how astute and talented a Chairman Tony Bloom is, I am very surprised at our current predicament on the field of play.

Nail on the head buddy

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton

Very well put totally agree.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Talksport tonight - Danny Kelly & Mathew Etherington

They are going through the championship games and analysing what the managers are (really) saying.
Having heard Sami's after match analysis:
Sami : the players gave me everything they had...
Interpretation : "I need new players, these are not good enough".

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Do you live in Bangkok?How often do you go to the Amex? We have got to the play offs for the last two seasons, we are the most watched side in this division, we arent even the most expensive season tickets, and cos we have lost the FIRST game of the season, you are panicking like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. And, by the way WE haven't invested any money in our infrastructure, Tony Bloom has.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
I think to single out individuals is harsh.

As a general rule we have no replaced players that have left the club with talented players. Too many players where the thought is, they will do.

We only need 3 quality signings. With one or 2 as loan players if needs be. But as of now we have not got a team or squad capable of getting above mid-table.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here