Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will the lack of a “new manager bounce” be what costs us in the end?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Before Locadia and Ulloa, did you think we had enough to stay up?

Where were the top flight quality strikers, wingers with pace to regularly beat their PL full backs, goals from midfield, pace in CM and a RB good enough for the PL? The table doesn't lie, the Albion rarely scores.

Hughton had a squad with no real pace other than Izquierdo to work with, or goals, making a defensive approach, hoping to nick narrow wins. The brilliant counter attacking football of the last 2 and a half seasons in the Championship wasn't feasible as AK, GM, TH and SM are markedly slower than PL defenders.

Yes I did, We have two fast wingers who should be able to trouble most full backs in the division, Hollands number 10, The Bundesliga number 1 assist player from the previous season and a CF whos been around the block enough to use every ounce of his talent to get an edge now and then . Also a seemingly stingy defence and an upgraded keeper.

So yes I did think we had enough to at least finish 17th.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I don't want to sack Hughton. He has done a terrific job, and if we do go down I think he would be the man to get us back up again; I'd at least want him to have the chance. Maybe though it's time for Uncle Tony to do what owners generally shouldn't do - have a word with him. Just for once, maybe a bit of interfering is needed - it really feels as if CH is getting stuck in stubborn mode, and somebody needs to tell him to free up his team to play further up the field (and not to crowd out our penalty area so much that the ball ricochets about in there and eventually and inevitably ends up in our net).

If Tony has a word with him, it should just be to say, well done.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I wonder how many will change their minds. When we go back to 4-4-1-1 tonight. Looking for the point. Go 1 down in first 10mins. Then bring our attacking threat on with 20mins to go, when the game has gone. Slip into bottom three and remain there till end of season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes I did, We have two fast wingers who should be able to trouble most full backs in the division, Hollands number 10, The Bundesliga number 1 assist player from the previous season and a CF whos been around the block enough to use every ounce of his talent to get an edge now and then . Also a seemingly stingy defence and an upgraded keeper.

So yes I did think we had enough to at least finish 17th.

March and Knockaert, our starters in most games, do not trouble PL full backs. I didn't think this was even debated any more.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
What will cost us dear is a) conceding soft goals from set pieces and b) not taking any points from games vs the top 6. Simple as that

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
March and Knockaert, our starters in most games, do not trouble PL full backs. I didn't think this was even debated any more.

Frustrating because both have the ability to be far more of a threat than they currently are. I hope Izquierdo's attitude of trying to beat the man in front of him rubs off and Solly and AK stop taking the safe option.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
With the exception of Watford away (10 men) and Burnley at home (end of there good run). We haven't taken 1 point this season off any team. That hasn't either since sacked there manager or in the bottom 6. Everyone around us is gaining momentum. We actually have spent a fortune. Hughtons tactics have been totally sussed and we are dropping like a stone. I can't see where this blind faith comes from. When all the evidence suggests we are going down..oh and our toughest tasks lay head. Hughton is out of his depth. Even the players who were shineing at start of season, now look a shadow of what they were showing.

D

Deleted member 2719

No.

1. Stuffing up the Summer transfer window when it came to bringing in genuine quality up front which, in turn, led to...

2. Failing to convert dominant performances, particularly at home, into the victories deserved. We all know which games those were.

So who should be taking the flack???

1. Barber and Winstanly for failing their main task.
2. Hughton for not giving enough freedom to his exciting outside men (while at home) to exploit the opposition and persisting on playing golden boy Glenn to get offside and giving away needless fouls and slowing up the pace of the game.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

batch_91

Jul 14, 2012
Sheffield/Portslade
I've been researching for a sports management paper I'm writing on the managerial bounce, almost all previous studies have found changing manager damages results.

Including two separate Dutch studies that found teams that improved their results did so at a lower rate than the control group (teams that stayed with their manager)

This surprised me as Sunderland seemed to plan their season around it for a few years.

From a personal view, we could be bottom all season and I would stick with Hughton every day of the week.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As I understood it, you did say that we should pack our defence which led me to the conclusion that you feel that it is not our lack of goals that is costing us so dearly.
I wonder how exactly you understood this to mean I advocate packing our defence.....

".........and somebody needs to tell him to free up his team to play further up the field (and not to crowd out our penalty area so much that the ball ricochets about in there and eventually and inevitably ends up in our net)".

My gast is flabbered.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As I understood it, you did say that we should pack our defence which led me to the conclusion that you feel that it is not our lack of goals that is costing us so dearly.
He was being sarcastic, suggesting that Hughton is a negative manager and wouldn't use strikers to their potential even if we had them.

I wonder how many will change their minds. When we go back to 4-4-1-1 tonight. Looking for the point. Go 1 down in first 10mins. Then bring our attacking threat on with 20mins to go, when the game has gone. Slip into bottom three and remain there till end of season.
You have to accept that our players are not as good as Southampton's, so if we lose it's not all down to the manager, and another choice of manager is unlikely to do any better.

With the exception of Watford away (10 men) and Burnley at home (end of there good run). We haven't taken 1 point this season off any team. That hasn't either since sacked there manager or in the bottom 6. Everyone around us is gaining momentum. We actually have spent a fortune. Hughtons tactics have been totally sussed and we are dropping like a stone.
The fortune we have spent is still a lot less than other clubs have spent on their squads.

I can't see where this blind faith comes from. When all the evidence suggests we are going down
Well clearly not all the evidence suggests we are, as we're still odds against going down. Not that I feel that confident, I'm very concerned we will go down, but it won't be purely down to the manager, our team obviously hasn't been good enough.

Hughton is out of his depth. Even the players who were shineing at start of season, now look a shadow of what they were showing.
:rolleyes: Most of the players have been with Hughton for years, why is it his fault if they're doing less well now than at the start of the season?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Do we have enough strong characters in the dressing room, in the coaching staff, to dig deep on performance, execution, tactics. Generally this would come from the existing squad rather than the new additions in their first year. Last year's failure to close out the title may give a pointer... But i really hope that's not the issue this year.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
NO.

From memory, newly-promoted clubs that sack the manager tend to fail pretty-smartish. Middlesbrough and Hull last season as very recent examples.

Teams that get greedy and sack their manager when they're high in the league, it tends to come back and bit them on the arse, perhaps Southampton this year, Birmingham last year.

Teams with good squads but doing badly - that tends to work, and probably because the squad is good enough in the first place and the sacking was motivation enough to get the pulling together. It works for them. For a team like us, no no no

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I've been researching for a sports management paper I'm writing on the managerial bounce, almost all previous studies have found changing manager damages results.

Including two separate Dutch studies that found teams that improved their results did so at a lower rate than the control group (teams that stayed with their manager)

This surprised me as Sunderland seemed to plan their season around it for a few years.

From a personal view, we could be bottom all season and I would stick with Hughton every day of the week.
Well said. You should post more often..!!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Prem has got to the stage where outside the Top 6 the most prized managerial ability is being able to survive, but what makes a manager a good, short-term "bounce" proponent can also be what makes them bad over the long-term.

Therefore many clubs continually look for a manager that can give them a bounce 'til it gets ridiculous. Tony Pulis drained the life out of Wet Brom until people were saying they were facing the drop and needed the services of a fire-fighter - like Tony Pulis. Obviously Pardew came in and has improved on Pulis's results, although sure as eggs is eggs once the West Brom players and fans find out what a c*nt Pardew is he'll be out the door and someone else - Allardyce, Moyes etc - will take over, and so it goes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here