Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephane Sessegnon

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As others have said good player on his day. But a while since he has shown anything like that form and at 33 how likely is he to be able to step up again? Two things seriously concern me if this is true.

1. Another 30 plus player? We will struggle with the pace and physicality of this league.
2. How far down our list of strikers have we got, that we are considering him? If it's true we really are in trouble.
He clearly wouldn't be the only striker we bring in.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The problem with these threads is as soon as a players' name is mentioned, especially if there is some old toot in a paper about it, as well, the club retract its interest like a willy in a sea swimmer's shorts on a cold January morning

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Anyone else hear the sound of barrels being scraped? Sessegnon would have been fine as an extra for a Championship campaign, but there's something underwhelming when a club reaches the Prem and is linked to a player who is now well past their best.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I hope you are right but at this point you can't know that? Also IF we are going for him it suggests we are struggling to get our priority targets surely? I can't imagine SS was top of anyone's list can you?
No, I can't know that for sure.

It just seems to me like such an implausible scenario that SS is the only striker we'd bring in.

I simply cannot see anything other than him being an alternative to Groß or a player to help out on the flanks of midfield. An 'Izzy Brown' alternative.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm not upset we are in for him.

This is because I don't believe we are.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sessegnon would be instead of Izzy Brown.

Which then opens up the possibility of Tomori instead of Gomez.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Good signing if we can get him at a reasonable price. Not a superstar but I can see how he would bring experience and skill to our MF. As long as we are making moves like this to strengthen the squad I am happy, and still lots of money in the bank for whats needed up front.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Good signing if we can get him at a reasonable price. Not a superstar but I can see how he would bring experience and skill to our MF. As long as we are making moves like this to strengthen the squad I am happy, and still lots of money in the bank for whats needed up front.

Agreed, and he has plenty of Premier League experience, which is key.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
It's from Di Canio so take it with a pinch of salt, but is Sessegnon really the type of player we want if there is any truth in this?

The Benin international had been a popular player on Wearside, but Di Canio was unimpressed with his attitude and argued he had to get shot of the forward just a few days after he was charged with drink driving while his team-mates were playing in a Capital One Cup tie against MK Dons.

Di Canio denies he did not rate the 29 year-old, but felt Sessègnon did not want to play for Sunderland anymore and had become a sulky figure at the training ground.

Di Canio had already been unimpressed by Sessègnon’s demeanour in training or his efforts against Fulham and Southampton when he was arrested and charged by police after a night out in Newcastle.

That lack of respect for his team-mates, along with the rules he had made which prevented players from going out on a match day, even if they were not involved in the squad, finished things for Di Canio.

"He had a very good pre-season and in the first two games you can play badly, but the body language was not of a player who wants to give his best and then we had a crucial match,” he said.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Christ this season is already looking bleak and dismal if this is what we are reduced to considering. Starting the season with Hemed and Murray our only strikers really is not going to be enough to keep us in the Premier League. I can't believe we are yet to address our woeful striking options. My bed is dripping wet I'm afraid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here