Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale OFF ***to Birmingham - Official***

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Does beg the question of why the club wanted a possibly new No 1 were their things about him that we are unaware of in relation to his ability as a keeper.

In the euphoria of last season's promotion to the Premier League, people seem to have forgotten about Stockdale's many errors. Yes ok he did many good things too, but he is far from a great goalkeeper, merely a good one.

Oh and by the way, isn't it time we moved on now?.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Then surely there are better clubs to go to in the Championship than a team who just stayed up and are run by Flash 'Arry? Like his home town club?

Well, yes, but those clubs would have needed to have been offering Stockdale a decent wage and length of contract at the time he was looking for it. I'm not up to speed with Championship clubs' goalkeeping situation but, presumably, those offers weren't out there.

Birmingham do seem to be "going for it" to a degree so one can guess Stockdale had a decent enough offer for him to accept and not leave himself on the market for any longer.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Well, yes, but those clubs would have needed to have been offering Stockdale a decent wage and length of contract at the time he was looking for it. I'm not up to speed with Championship clubs' goalkeeping situation but, presumably, those offers weren't out there.

Birmingham do seem to be "going for it" to a degree so one can guess Stockdale had a decent enough offer for him to accept and not leave himself on the market for any longer.
I guess perhaps he wanted to secure his dog's future with this move. They have a short life - not just a short career. Be good for the little fella to have his own bank account.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It is a short career though. He'll probably earn top dollar for what, 20% of it? You can't expect a footballer to live the lifestyle of the average man on the street and save everything else for the remaining 50 years of his life, nobody is going to do that. Your lifestyle usually reflects the people around you, more or less, so he's always going to have a nice car and a nice house etc., and the money he'd make during 80% of his career isn't going to cover that for the rest of his life. I totally understand why you'd want to take a big payday at his sort of level.

What I can't understand, is the real top level players moving from a great league to a shit league for an extra £100K a week, when they're already earning £200K a week already. Seriously, what difference does it make?

Compared with a "working mans" career its short, I take your point. But over that whole career period, if he's earning (say) £20k a week for just 5 years of his career, which is not an unreasonable assumption in the top 2 leagues, then that's over a million pounds a year. Not taking into account signing on fees and various bonuses. He should never have a mortgage to service for the rest of his life, that's for sure.

If its contract duration that was swinging it for him, then I really don't understand that, as an extra year or two is neither here nor there at this stage of his career, he's never going to struggle finding a club is he. He's binned off a season in the top flight, in World Cup year when Joe Hart is on the fritz and a squad place may have been within his grasp, and for what ? Presumably a sizable bung for signing for Birmingham, and an extra year or twos deal.

As a Premier League goalkeeper I'm sure he could've earned plenty here still. Maybe he just needed an up-front bung to get his new tracksuit and plimsole shop off the ground, and TB wasn't playing ball. :shrug:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Compared with a "working mans" career its short, I take your point. But over that whole career period, if he's earning (say) £20k a week for just 5 years of his career, which is not an unreasonable assumption in the top 2 leagues, then that's over a million pounds a year. Not taking into account signing on fees and various bonuses. He should never have a mortgage to service for the rest of his life, that's for sure.

If its contract duration that was swinging it for him, then I really don't understand that, as an extra year or two is neither here nor there at this stage of his career, he's never going to struggle finding a club is he. He's binned off a season in the top flight, in World Cup year when Joe Hart is on the fritz and a squad place may have been within his grasp, and for what ? Presumably a sizable bung for signing for Birmingham, and an extra year or twos deal.

As a Premier League goalkeeper I'm sure he could've earned plenty here still. Maybe he just needed an up-front bung to get his new tracksuit and plimsole shop off the ground, and TB wasn't playing ball. :shrug:

Maybe he was told he wouldn't be automatic first choice?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Maybe he was told he wouldn't be automatic first choice?

Nobody should be automatic first choice in any position. If he thinks he should be given a free ride between the sticks regardless of fitness or form, then its probably best he slung his hook back down to the second division.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Starting this season as he finished last

Really ? A powerful volley from about 3 yards out he still manages to get to it. No idea what you were expecting.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
So he was supposed to save that? :nono:

Well, it is straight at him. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to do better with that than he did.

But it's hardly gone through him, or a massive error. On another day he saves that. How quickly people forget Sheffield Wednesday at home...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well, it is straight at him. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to do better with that than he did.

But it's hardly gone through him, or a massive error. On another day he saves that. How quickly people forget Sheffield Wednesday at home...

Exactly. He got to it but it was no easy save or even close to a howler. I think it is unreasonable to actually expect him to save it although 50% of the time probably would. Quality keeper.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He's got to spin it somehow, poor fella - there are too many 'negatives' (uprooting family, lack of professional ambition) outweighing the only positive that I can see, bags of cash, and no one gets fans on their side that way!
David may have been shagging around, so his lady may be glad to leave Brighton :whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here