Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mayweather v McGregor

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
McGregor may have a chance if he can land the knee uppercut. I'm surprised there are not more fatal injuries in MMA compared to boxing, though as its not as well known, maybe there is.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
McGregor may have a chance if he can land the knee uppercut. I'm surprised there are not more fatal injuries in MMA compared to boxing, though as its not as well known, maybe there is.

Boxing is far more dangerous, I think there has been 3 or more deaths in boxing in the last two years and a few in comas, a mexican lost his eye recently and one of George Groves opponents is now a mute and needs 24hr care.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Boxing is far more dangerous, I think there has been 3 or more deaths in boxing in the last two years and a few in comas, a mexican lost his eye recently and one of George Groves opponents is now a mute and needs 24hr care.
yeah, maybe its the constant blows to the head over many rounds and bouts that cause much of the damage. A lot of boxers sometimes seem ok when they retire, but the affects can catch up with them10 years later, despite not been hit since then. Thinking of Ali, and Bruno's mental problems as an example.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's well known, and there aren't.

yeah, maybe its the constant blows to the head over many rounds and bouts that cause much of the damage. A lot of boxers sometimes seem ok when they retire, but the affects can catch up with them10 years later, despite not been hit since then. Thinking of Ali, and Bruno's mental problems as an example.
One of the problems with boxing is that when they get smacked in the head so hard that they can't stand, they're allowed to recover so that it can happen again. And again. And again. And over 12 round that can be a lot of damage (like Watson). In MMA they get hit a bit more in a short space of time and then the fight is stopped.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Surgeons and neuroligists say it's the single event trauma on the brain from a punch or hitting the canvas.

Didn't Bruno reveal he'd had lifelong depression etc stemming from a difficult childhood?

Agree about Ali. Unnecessary fights at the end of his career, when well past his best. Hundreds of half defended blows from the likes of Larry Holmes taking their toll. Whatever the cause of his Parkinson's, that couldn't have helped.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here