Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calde on his way?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Does he know the terms? All we know is that the Club have said they have decided to offer him a contract.

Do you honestly think the club would announce to the press that they are offering a player a contract without either the agent or the player knowing what that contract is?

He hasn't been offered the contract yet, as of Friday evening. All he knows is that the club are going to offer him one.

Out of interest, exactly how do you know that is the case? Is this one of those 'I'm in the know' posts?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Do you honestly think the club would announce to the press that they are offering a player a contract without either the agent or the player knowing what that contract is?

Out of interest, exactly how do you know that is the case? Is this one of those 'I'm in the know' posts?

I spoke to an ex Brighton player on Friday, who had been in contact with Calde that day.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Would it be that bad if he left? I don't think so. No room for sentiment. If we have play off / promotion aspirations Calde can't be a part of those plans. Either way, ball is in Caldes court here.. lets not forget what he nearly did to us last time he was in contract negotiations..
I hate the phrase "no room for sentiment". Of course there is, sentiment can ensure continuity in the dressing room, a link between players and fans , and helps new players fit in and understand what it means to be at a club. There has to be room for sentiment otherwise our team will continue to be stuffed with passionless nobodies that don't care about playing for a club we all love.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
To all those who say let him leave and Bruno can we please have the names of their replacements, cost to the club and whether you want more loanees cause there doesn't seem to be any youngster coming through to replace and save us the money which really needs spending on the attacking problems we have.

D

Deleted member 2719

Bruno should have his contract re-assigned to carpark attendant
Ha ha, car park attendants are very important people.
I agree that CH appears to be a negative manager and any Norwich fan would back you up. But ask any Newcastle fan (promotion from the Championship with a record number of goals scored) and any Birmingham fan (finished 4th in the Championship and played decent football) and they will tell you something different.

CH probably fell into the trap of playing negative football at Norwich because staying in the PL was all important.

I Know people will say that getting Newcastle promoted with such a talented squad was an easy task, but HR only just got QPR back to the PL at the first time of asking with an equally good side and HR is considered to be a top manager.

Let CH build is own team and then we can judge him. But I agree, what we have seen so far is not pretty.
My suggestions would be talk Ashley into having Hughton back it would be a win win win scenario. Hughton can't lose, Newcastle fans happy (according to BB) Ashley takes some heat off himself and best of all I would be happy.
Shall we sack Hughton?
I would have never employed him he is not our answer to potential prem football. But I am not running the clubs budget, but he has been lucky not to cost us big style by dropping to 3 div football. But yes I would love to sack such a negative man, supposedly leading our squad.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I hate the phrase "no room for sentiment". Of course there is, sentiment can ensure continuity in the dressing room, a link between players and fans , and helps new players fit in and understand what it means to be at a club. There has to be room for sentiment otherwise our team will continue to be stuffed with passionless nobodies that don't care about playing for a club we all love.
Well said!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

My take is he's simply being respectful to the contract process in public, which presumably he's still negotiating. Maybe he wants a 2 year contract, money etc.

As for Hughton on the subject then he's very clear about sentiment and why he wants Calde at the club.

"For those that receive new contracts, it’s because we feel that it’s in the best interests of the club and because they’ve deserved it.
“What comes with Calde [Inigo Calderon] is a package. He is very much a team player and is very popular at the club. That’s certainly not a good enough reason to want to retain his services. The reason why we are retaining his services, is because of the amount of football that he’s played – he has a versatility in his game which shows how valuable he is to this squad.”
via http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/chris-hughton-on-brighton-hove-albion-v-watford-2420171.aspx

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
If the club or namely Hughton think he can do a job whether it be as a regular or a squad member then fine lets' hope he signs up. However if that's not the case and they feel that someone else will be a better option then he may well go but I certainly wouldn't want him at the club just because some weird blokes on here have an infatuation with him that seems to verge on an obsession.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Great post.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
All the club have done is announced the retained list.

They havent issued this list just made an interim decision on the players who are out of contract. I am sure a ddcision will be taken as to who we actually wish to keep or sell on of the players under contract, very soon. I am hoping some will be made available as usually happens with fringe and U21 players.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Have to echo everyone else saying that he shouldnt have even been offered a contract in the first place, unless on significantly reduced terms. He simply isnt good enough for this league any more.
Still has something to offer - even if not as first choice or regular starter. One of our most creative players yesterday. Take a look at our three best chances in the second half -
* COG's header that bounced off the sawdust - precision centre from Calde on the right;
* Stephens' scuffed shot - Calde, on the right, looks up and spots Stephens' run and puts precision pass right in his path;
* CMS 1-on-1 with the keeper - who slipped the defence splitting pass through to him? Calde.
Definitely worth having around the squad for another season. Unless of course we're about to spend several millions on a Prem. quality RB - and anyone who thinks that is delusional!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Still has something to offer - even if not as first choice or regular starter. One of our most creative players yesterday. Take a look at our three best chances in the second half -
* COG's header that bounced off the sawdust - precision centre from Calde on the right;
* Stephens' scuffed shot - Calde, on the right, looks up and spots Stephens' run and puts precision pass right in his path;
* CMS 1-on-1 with the keeper - who slipped the defence splitting pass through to him? Calde.
Definitely worth having around the squad for another season. Unless of course we're about to spend several millions on a Prem. quality RB - and anyone who thinks that is delusional!

Spot on. Calde created all our good chances in the second half. He would also help new players settle,.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
To all those who say let him leave and Bruno can we please have the names of their replacements, cost to the club and whether you want more loanees cause there doesn't seem to be any youngster coming through to replace and save us the money which really needs spending on the attacking problems we have.

Elphick and Cook ....oops another great decision by the club.

I'd say Rea and Dallinson for starters...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He has to stay. Crucial to the morale of the squad IMHO... now, Greer, on the other hand...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here