Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst TV "comedy" ever?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Are you talking about the thing with Sir Ian McKellen & Sir Derek Jacobi in it? A horrendously scripted, painfully unfunny cluster**** of camp clichés. It was on in the last couple of years, but I can't remember what it was called either.

McKellen & Jacobi: both towering pillars of the British theatrical establishment. I found myself wondering what catastrophic event had occurred in their thespian careers that they felt compelled to take those roles.

That's the one.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
The Office gives you the opportunity to laugh at things that, in real life, you wouldn't be able to laugh at. I don't see what is wrong with that, or what it has got to do with social skills. Most people are aware there is a certain way of behaving in the workplace, and openly laughing at others isn't acceptable, that's why we don't do it even if we find a situation funny. All The Office does is exaggerate these situations to (IMO) good comedy effect.

Maybe so but mocking the socially inept isn't to far away from laughing at the disabled. This has been done to good effect from Arkwrights stutter to the childish Joey Deacon stuff of yesteryear. It does not stop judgements being made of those who find it funny though.Personally if its your thing then so be it, i have gone down that path as well but a lot of people have been on the receiving end of Brents and may take dimmer views.

I find it funny and ironic that Gervais was slammed for using the word Mong when he made his name sending up "social mongs".

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I've never really understood people who only watch five minutes of a show before declaring it the worst thing they've ever seen. If you were unlucky enough for your only exposure to Red Dwarf to be a clip from the dire series VII and VIII then that would certainly colour your view, when really the programme as a whole would have absolutely no business being anywhere near a worst comedy list.

Considering the talent at its disposal, Vicious was utter cack though strangely watchable in a 'I can't actually believe McKellen and Jacobi would lower themselves to this godawful mess' way.

Calling My Family a sitcom is an insult to the genre.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Mrs Browns boys is the worst comedy I've ever seen. I thought I must be missing something as it seems to be on all the time and at peak viewing times, so forced myself to watch an entire episode. I just don't get how anyone finds this funny. Everyone I know hates it. Maybe the BBC's viewing stats are wrong or corrupted or something, giving them the impression its popular. I can't think of any other explanation.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Mrs Browns boys is the worst comedy I've ever seen. I thought I must be missing something as it seems to be on all the time and at peak viewing times, so forced myself to watch an entire episode. I just don't get how anyone finds this funny. Everyone I know hates it. Maybe the BBC's viewing stats are wrong or corrupted or something, giving them the impression its popular. I can't think of any other explanation.

My Mrs went to the cinema to see the movie with half a dozen workmates, all post/menopausal women and they all roared for the whole film so I think that's the demographic it appeals to.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Probably not a bad comedy but I just didn't see the humour in Flight Of The Conchords. Not the worst I've ever seen but it was one joke stretched out and I'm really not a fan of comedy songs. Especially if they form the basis of an entire series.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
My Mrs went to the cinema to see the movie with half a dozen workmates, all post/menopausal women and they all roared for the whole film so I think that's the demographic it appeals to.

Both I and my wife think Mrs brown's Boys is hilarious, and we know loads of other people who agree. I also know plenty of people who think it's rubbish. I guess it's a bit like marmite.

the film was actually on TV a few days ago. We actually turned it off after about half an hour,

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
One thing that strikes me reading through this thread is how quick people are to jump on other people's not liking of something that they find hilarious. "if you don't like XXXXXX, you are a bit odd". Different people like different things - get over it.

I like Mrs Brown's Boys, which plenty of people don't.

I never liked the Office and don't find Ricky Gervais remotely funny ever. With the david brent character, you would be laughing at him rather than with him. I don't think he was ever remotely "sympathetic".

And although I have a great admiration for Rowan Atkinson in the vast majority of stuff that he has done, I have never found Mr Bean remotely funny - just stupid.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Both I and my wife think Mrs brown's Boys is hilarious, and we know loads of other people who agree. I also know plenty of people who think it's rubbish. I guess it's a bit like marmite.

the film was actually on TV a few days ago. We actually turned it off after about half an hour,
wonders will never cease , we actually agree on something ! i like the series but i didnt like the film either.

Bracknell_Gull

Jul 4, 2011
Bracknell
I was discussing this thread with a colleague yesterday, and he nominated The Upper Hand, which I had successfully managed to erase from my memory.

Utter gash. And it ran for 95 episodes!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here