Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Team for Preston

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The team seemed to be playing in 2nd gear in the 2nd half v Leeds, as job was done. So cant see any change in the starting line up, as they should be all quite refreshed.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
All about the bench. Team is fixed after successive 4-0 wins.

Bong for Calde is the only change in the bench as I think Kaz will need a little longer to prove his fitness fully.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
whatever happens in selection, is this possibly our strongest match day squad in the Amex era?

Exciting times

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Unchanged starting XI. Bong to replace Calde on the bench. Kaz will displace Skalek if he has done enough in training to merit a bench spot.

That's what I'd go with too.

I'd definitely have KLL on the bench. I see him as a big player in the run in. Something different with half an hour to go if we need a goal.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
whatever happens in selection, is this possibly our strongest match day squad in the Amex era?

Exciting times

Yes indeed. Looking at loaned, U21, injured and peripheral players, we could field a pretty good team with the likes of Uwe & Rea at the back, Crofts, Holla, JFC, Ince and Towell in midfield; March, Bjordal, Manu, & Tilley as wingers with Hambo, Harper or Ayunga as strikers. Not so good at full backs though.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Same starting team but would like to see Kazenga on the bench somehow. Not an easy choice.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The Preston midfield are in for a surprise having got the better of Crofts, Ince & Holla (sub) last time at the Amex. We'll have a massive upgrade this time: Kayal, Stephens, Sidwell (sub).

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
So you are dropping Baldock from the squad altogether, after scoring / assisting in successive games?

Right you are.

(I'm surprised you haven't got Buckley in their somewhere, tbh)

A bit of the devil. I am a bit disappointed with Baldock, I don't think he is as fast as we (who signed him) thought he as going to be, his shooting is wayward, can't take the ball on the half turn, and not physical enough to make up for it. Assists and passing is not great. On the plus side his tackling back is good for a striker, but as second striker he is no help at defending corners (unlike Barnes). I like him better playing on the wing where his style of run and cross looked promising if unrewarding.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Wonder if we'll see Greer back at any time? As good as Goldson has been, we could have done with Greer at Cardiff for his organisational skills as much as anything. Games we're dominating through the middle, not so much, but when teams run at us through there like Carrdiff did, we could use him

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Wonder if we'll see Greer back at any time? As good as Goldson has been, we could have done with Greer at Cardiff for his organisational skills as much as anything. Games we're dominating through the middle, not so much, but when teams run at us through there like Carrdiff did, we could use him

Unfortunately for him, I reckon Greer has been injured all season. Preston NE have someone quite quick, the player that Dunk fouled in the penalty area.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We could have done with Greer at Cardiff for his organisational skills as much as anything. Games we're dominating through the middle, not so much, but when teams run at us through there like Carrdiff did, we could use him

Kayal was a massive miss vs Cardiff too. He organises the midfield and tells Stephens what to do. Our midfield was awful vs Cardiff as communication was poor and players did not know their roles - this left a massive gap between the defence and midfield which Cardiff exploited time and time again. Poor Dale was all over the place without King Kayal directing his every breath.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
So i'm guessing two changes only for tomorrow.
Bong must be a likely replacement for Calde on the bench and this is a bit of a punt . but KLL in for Skalak (assuming he's fit).
Can't see anything other than an unchanged first 11 after 2 x 4-0 wins.

Stockdale
Bruno
Goldson
Dunk
Rosenior
Knockaert
Stephens
Kayal
Murphy
Hemed
Baldock

Substitutes
Mäenpää
Greer
Bong
Wilson
Zamora
Sidwell
Lua Lua

This. I can't remember a stronger bench.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

So your logic is to drop a superior defensive player, who is more physically imposing and quicker, for a guy who you think organises us better, based on one game? Even though you're overlooking the two clean sheets in a row where Greer didn't play? And you're overlooking the fact that most of the issues in that game came as a result of Calderon being out of position, and our midfielders not tracking runs...

#spotonlogic

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
So your logic is to drop a superior defensive player, who is more physically imposing and quicker, for a guy who you think organises us better, based on one game? Even though you're overlooking the two clean sheets in a row where Greer didn't play? And you're overlooking the fact that most of the issues in that game came as a result of Calderon being out of position, and our midfielders not tracking runs...

#spotonlogic

I didn't say that, I don't think Goldson deserves to be dropped. However I'm pointing out that Greer brings different things to the table, things that may have benefited us against cardiff and possibly also today. Nor do I think our captain and a guy who was ever-present prior to his injury should automatically be considered dropped for good.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I didn't say that, I don't think Goldson deserves to be dropped. However I'm pointing out that Greer brings different things to the table, things that may have benefited us against cardiff and possibly also today. Nor do I think our captain and a guy who was ever-present prior to his injury should automatically be considered dropped for good.

Goldson is very right sided, but he is our only covering central defender other than Greer.

Bit parts for Greer and Zamora from now on. Important, but I cannot see either as starting choice for the rest of the season. Nor Sidwell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here