Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The great football cliche LIST.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
"This youngster is the new George Best / Paul Scholes / Ryan Giggs (etc.)"

"He's the Zimbabwean / Malaysian / Honduran (etc.) Messi"

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
"Player X is not for sale"

Unless we receive an offer of such value where we feel it makes sense to accept in exchange for the football player.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
A slide rule pass ???? I've still got a slide rule but I doubt anybody under 60 yo would know how to use it.
The goalkeeper was beaten but it went wide. He's not paid to stop those.
He hit it too well. If only he'd miskicked it might not be in the car park.
A searching ball. Probably looking for a footballer.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
We go again

Togetherness

Kick it into Row Z (most grounds it would be Row GG)

Leeds/Villa/Sheff Wed/Forest/etc Are too big not to be in the Premier League

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Not sure I've seen this one; not exactly a cliche but something that is said repeatedly by some players (so it is a chliche then). My recollecton is it was started by Lord David Beckham :love: . The context is the thing; it was the phrase he used to start his first reply an interview. Brace yourselves:

"As I said earlier"

How the actual **** can you have said something earlier in an interview that hasn't started yet, you fluffy-faced arsewaxed buffoon?
Followed immediately by "you know". Which is then, you know, repeated at least once in every, you know, sentence.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Followed immediately by "you know". Which is then, you know, repeated at least once in every, you know, sentence.

Dont forget the word "like" as in "Like ya know, like" followed by "literally" as in " like, I literally couldn't believe he saved that" .:facepalm:

rool

Jul 10, 2003

Unless it's Harry Kane who says a huge urmmmmm every few words. I almost had to turn off his interview Monday night.

I had a teacher at Buckingham Middle School. Mrs Goldsmith I think her name was. Every morning she would ask each person in the class what they had for dinner the night before. If you put an urmmm anywhere in the response you were for it. I have never done it to this day when answering anything.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

"He's got that kind of performance in him" (Shame he doesn't show it very often)
"I didn't see that performance coming" (We've been hammered and I take no blame)
"The fans deserve better than that" (Please Like me, like me)
" He's not that kind of player" (all of the time...)
" That's meat and drink to him" (What??)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here