Arundel
Ryan
Schelotto Duffy Dunk Bong
March Stephens Propper Izquidero
Locadia Murray

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
If we have Groß, Pröpper, Izquierdo & Locadia on the pitch, we stand a very good chance of beating anyone not in top 6.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Another dropping Gross, thank goodness fans don't pick the team...

That's why the manager gets the big bucks .... surely this is just about personal opinion? Although I do recognise that your opinion is far more valid!!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That's why the manager gets the big bucks .... surely this is just about personal opinion? Although I do recognise that your opinion is far more valid!!

My personal opinion was an opinion on your personal opinion (and others) - that is allowed too isn't? Doesn't make mine anymore valid, I'm just making my own point. :shrug:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My personal opinion was an opinion on your personal opinion (and others) - that is allowed too isn't? Doesn't make mine anymore valid, I'm just making my own point. :shrug:

Like you though, I think, I'm not giving too much credit to an opinion that goes something like "We've signed a new player who was very expensive so he HAS to start. Now then, who does he replace? Hmmmm, tricky one. I know - Pascal Gross will have to sit out - he doesn't really do much."

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Another dropping Gross, thank goodness fans don't pick the team...
I don't really get this? :shrug:

What is Gross, our second highest scorer, our highest number of assists, and he's a 'more cautious' pick? Was I watching a different game against West Ham as he orchestrated most of our attacking play?

Will be interesting to see how Locadia fits in, but I can see a Gross/Locadia lineup before we see a Locadia/Murray one...
Deffo.

As said on the Locadia thread the Guardian's Dutch football corespondent was a little reluctant in setting the bar too high for him, but she did say 'he's never had a player like Gross pulling the strings behind him'.

Having given that a little more thought I've remembered she was one of the first corespondents to go overboard on Pascal, she was amazed the Albion had bought such a good player, and bought him so cheaply, so that all bodes well.

I'm also reminded of a comment floated on here, possibly by [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION], it certainly came with some credibility, (sorry Noo that isn't a compliment more a shot at the bollox the rest of us write. :lol: ) that Hughton needs to Hughtonise his players.

He's not going to play them until he trusts them and he's not going to trust a player until he has worked with them.

That does rather hold up with this seasons signings.
Bong and Bruno have had more starts that most managers would have given.
Jose has often been rotated, while Propper and Gross clearly would have had less game time if Kayal was available.

I'd love for Jurgen to 'alpha' his way into the team, score 10 goals and be sold for £50m in the Summer, but I just son't see CH rushing his selection.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Whether or not Locadia plays against Swansea, one thing I'm very certain of. We haven't £14M not to play him. So eventually, therefore, he's got to replace someone. CH's decision, obviously - that's what he's paid a lot of money for. FWIW, my four penn'orth is on Murray.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Like you though, I think, I'm not giving too much credit to an opinion that goes something like "We've signed a new player who was very expensive so he HAS to start. Now then, who does he replace? Hmmmm, tricky one. I know - Pascal Gross will have to sit out - he doesn't really do much."

Gross is a good player, without doubt, but the main reason I'd replace him in attack is that he can play the ball, has good vision but doesn't shoot, he either tries to walk it into the net or passes as if to give the risk / chance to someone else, I'd rather we had more attempts on goal which is why I'd prefer Locadia who seems to offer that.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Interesting... I agree Gross has been great, but disagree about Solly, think he is a winger, so erratic, but is steadily improving, and has long since shown his PL credentials...

Still, I was giving my preffered team, not the team I think Chris might go for... he will probably go for the tried and tested 4-4-1-1, so:

Ryan
March Stephens Propper Izquierdo
Gross
Murray

IMHO, this is too cautious in a game we really must win, since there aren't that many games left where we can reasonably expect to get 3 points after Swansea...

If he doesn't start Locadia then what is the point, really? Time and matches are fast running out and we haven't got the luxury of bringing him on for the last 15 minutes, have we?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't really get this? :shrug:

What is Gross, our second highest scorer, our highest number of assists, and he's a 'more cautious' pick? Was I watching a different game against West Ham as he orchestrated most of our attacking play?

Will be interesting to see how Locadia fits in, but I can see a Gross/Locadia lineup before we see a Locadia/Murray one...
But Gross is more likely to help out in midfield than Locadia isn't he? Gross will be between midfield and the front man, whereas Locadia is more likely to be one of two front men (at least it looked that way against Cov).

That doesn't mean Gross is a cautious pick, but Locadia is even more attack minded.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gross is a good player, without doubt, but the main reason I'd replace him in attack is that he can play the ball, has good vision but doesn't shoot, he either tries to walk it into the net or passes as if to give the risk / chance to someone else, I'd rather we had more attempts on goal which is why I'd prefer Locadia who seems to offer that.
Who do you think will pass the ball to Locadia?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Deffo.

As said on the Locadia thread the Guardian's Dutch football corespondent was a little reluctant in setting the bar too high for him, but she did say 'he's never had a player like Gross pulling the strings behind him'.

Having given that a little more thought I've remembered she was one of the first corespondents to go overboard on Pascal, she was amazed the Albion had bought such a good player, and bought him so cheaply, so that all bodes well.

I'm also reminded of a comment floated on here, possibly by [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION], it certainly came with some credibility, (sorry Noo that isn't a compliment more a shot at the bollox the rest of us write. :lol: ) that Hughton needs to Hughtonise his players.

He's not going to play them until he trusts them and he's not going to trust a player until he has worked with them.

That does rather hold up with this seasons signings.
Bong and Bruno have had more starts that most managers would have given.
Jose has often been rotated, while Propper and Gross clearly would have had less game time if Kayal was available.

I'd love for Jurgen to 'alpha' his way into the team, score 10 goals and be sold for £50m in the Summer, but I just son't see CH rushing his selection.

LOL LOL LOL

He doesn't ''Hughtonise'' them.

He teaches them to be able to do more that they can do already and that's what makes him an excellent Football Coach. He ensures that they can make better passing angles. He teaches them how to stop breakaways when we have corners, he teaches the to play with a structure and to multi task and to do what they are told as well as allow them to express themselves on the pitch. In effect, he turns them into better players.

Lewis Dunk was a very good Centre Half when I first seen him but now he is one of the best Centre Halves in the country. All the silly stuff in his game have 90% been eroded from his game and you are left with the best of him.

The original topic I believe was Locadia ? - He looked a very eager hungry player on Saturday but he was playing a League 2 side. If he can look as good as that against better opposition then he will do well. In his videos he looked very ''one footed'' but apparently he is very ''two footed'' which is what I always look for in a striker

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
At this stage I think we will go with caution.
The defence picks itself for me with Schelotto and Bong having the shirt for the full back spots.
Similarly central midfield will go to Stephens/Propper.
The wide men are more difficult. I think March will start purely because he is generally better than Knockaert defensively & that might be a factor with Schelotto's tendency to rampage forward.
Murray and Gross will start I think with licence to run their socks off before a Ulloa/Locadia switch which may come earlier than we are used to around the hour mark.

So for me:

Ryan
March Stephens Propper Izquierdo
Gross
Murray

Subs: Krul(or Maenpaa) Bruno Goldson Kayal Knockaert Locadia Ulloa

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
It amazes me people would even consider dropping Gross. He is 2nd top scorer with 5 and has 3 more assists than any other with 6 (Propper has 3).

Locadia has to either displace Murray or picked instead of one of the wide players in my view.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here