Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our 16 year old student mugged by Portslade station last night 9pm

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They should have a crime reference number if they did things by the book which they should have. There's also some cctv cameras at Portslade station which sometimes look down boundary road. The last cctv footage of Janet Muller the german student who absconded from Mill View who was then abducted by her boyfriend and set on fire in Crawley was filmed at Portslade Station and down Boundary Road. Whereabouts in Boundary did it happen? You need to ask permission to check it or have it checked before its wiped. Even if the mugging isn't on cctv the perpetrators might be. I have personal experience of trying to help a girl who was being stalked get hold of cctv footage from that location. The police were useless and were really unhelpful. I'd already told the girl to bypass the police and contact the cctv operators directly but with her delaying and waiting for the police to do something, by the time she contacted the company directly the tapes had been wiped. The phone number is written under the camera which is privately run. The other tall one might be council run. There's a few round there some owned by the railway some by the council. There's also one in the subway. Look at the link of the Janet Muller report and it shows you where some of the cctv footage covers
http://www.brightonandhovenews.org/...t-mullers-last-moments-in-portslade-released/
I'll do that, thanks.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Or perhaps call into to the local MPs office in Church Road, he won't be there though he'll be in one of the poncey coffee shops nearby with his disciples.

It's not really part of his remit to investigate crime, that's a police matter. The frustration is trying to get them to do something about it rather than just take the report and issue a crime reference number

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
State of the world unfortunately. No one's got enough time for one another. I hope the lad's alright, it's a poor representation of our country but I'm not particularly surprised.

This except sadly I'd say state of UK/Western Europe (though US no better)....... most other places I've lived people always want to help.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Shameful behaviour. Hope he's ok and doesn't think everyone here is a **** (both the muggers and those that refused to help are)
Although this incident was a genuine case many are scams you can't really blame people these days for not helping. Blame the scum who try to scam folk on a daily basis.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Although this incident was a genuine case many are scams you can't really blame people these days for not helping.
But what is the scam if you just call the police? You don't need to get the phone out in front of the person, for fear of being mugged yourself, but you can make the call as you walk off.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
HI Triggar, I would advise you to call the police yourself ASAP and report the allegation on your students behalf. After all she may be under 18 and is in your care and English is not her first language.

Whether or not your students initial contact with the police was recorded or a crime allegation was made and recorded (We were not there and do not know what was said) your own call will be logged and the police will have a duty to follow it up, normally by way of an initial visit to your house to see the victim and your good self. If the initial contact in the street was recorded all well and good. If it wasn't, well it will be now. The subsequent actions to your call will also be logged as will the investigation decision making process.

In other words don't let it lie, be insistent and don't be fobbed off.

My best wishes to your student. I hope she is Ok.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just playing devil's advocate and I would be initially suspicious of anyone running up to me at 21:00 saying they'd been the victim of a robbery. What if they were trying to lure me into a false sense of security, or distract me? Now, if the foreign exchange student had a limited grasp of English, the mix-up in communication may not have helped either.

Obviously I feel sorry for the lad, and the thugs who robbed him are scum, but hopefully there is a rational explanation for why people didn't help.

Or maybe the passersby were just ***** after all. Perhaps they were just *****.

You'd be "initially suspicious"? Why is suspicion your default setting?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
But I'm afraid if someone in London came up to me and said they'd be mugged - can you call the Police, I'd think it was a scam.
That's a wider reflection of society today.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Why is that then? What sort of scam do you think they are playing?

Well -that is the point isn't it. In London you suspect anything and everything except the obvious. And
someone asking you to use your mobile in any sense is easily dodgy.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
We have a 16 year old foreign student staying with us, who was near his friends house, on Boundary road last night when he was mugged by a few young men.

He's fine. Afterwards he asked a passer by to call the police, who refused, and then he went in to the Arabic food shop (corner of Portland rd) and asked them to call the police, and they told him to **** off. Nice.

He eventually got hold of the police by flagging down a passing police car. He gave them all the details, but they haven't given him a report number, presumably they should have. I've like to call them and check they've got a record of the crime etc.

Is it not a duty of citizens here to call the police when someone asks?

I think this may be a reflection of life in urban areas. I can't imagine anything similar in Suffolk as people here go out of their way to chat and make a connection. I hope your student has recovered.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well -that is the point isn't it. In London you suspect anything and everything except the obvious. And
someone asking you to use your mobile in any sense is easily dodgy.

It's happened to me twice and I didn't sense anything dodgy. What about a lady asking you to help push their car? This happened to me just yesterday? Is this dodgy? Should I have declined?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here