Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Property advice please.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I recently (Oct 16) bought a semi detached bungalow which had been neglected and the gardens had been left to overgrow for some years. All the bungalows in the street are fenced at the rear but from the front building line are not, I own the fence on the detached side and my attached neighbour owns the fence his side. on the detached side there is a strip of land between my front access path and the detached neighbours front access path, after clearing all the overgrown bushes, brambles, nettles, weeds and the widest leylandii tree I had seen I discovered that my detached neighbour had laid slabs at the edge of his access path on this strip of land and placed his dustbins, recycle and garden waste bins on them. The strip of land is within the fence line of my property and the fence line runs directly along the edge of my detached neighbours front access path. The boundaries also show up as red lines along the same route to confirm this in the deeds to my property. Please sages of NSC how can I resolve this without causing upset to my detached infirm neighbour?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I recently (Oct 16) bought a semi detached bungalow which had been neglected and the gardens had been left to overgrow for some years. All the bungalows in the street are fenced at the rear but from the front building line are not, I own the fence on the detached side and my attached neighbour owns the fence his side. on the detached side there is a strip of land between my front access path and the detached neighbours front access path, after clearing all the overgrown bushes, brambles, nettles, weeds and the widest leylandii tree I had seen I discovered that my detached neighbour had laid slabs at the edge of his access path on this strip of land and placed his dustbins, recycle and garden waste bins on them. The strip of land is within the fence line of my property and the fence line runs directly along the edge of my detached neighbours front access path. The boundaries also show up as red lines along the same route to confirm this in the deeds to my property. Please sages of NSC how can I resolve this without causing upset to my detached infirm neighbour?

I'd suggest getting copies of the said deeds and plans, and have a polite chat that as you are clearing your site, and sorting your landscaping out, you've noticed this anomaly, and at first ask how it came about, whether agreement with the former owner, or they've just always ended up doing it like that. You then need to perhaps discuss how you move forward. I would't be too heavy handed because their deeds may show something different, and then you may have a dispute arise. I'd speak to your conveyancing solicitor for your purchase to see if anything historically in the searches showed any separate transactions for that land, and just get a bit of free legal advice before you go (because if they've missed something, they'll want to ensure you resolve it).

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
HM Land Registry have masses of stuff online now,and might be worth a look.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Without wanting to be rude...is this actually causing you an issue or proving to be an obstruction etc? You've not stated so.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I'd suggest getting copies of the said deeds and plans, and have a polite chat that as you are clearing your site, and sorting your landscaping out, you've noticed this anomaly, and at first ask how it came about, whether agreement with the former owner, or they've just always ended up doing it like that. You then need to perhaps discuss how you move forward. I would't be too heavy handed because their deeds may show something different, and then you may have a dispute arise. I'd speak to your conveyancing solicitor for your purchase to see if anything historically in the searches showed any separate transactions for that land, and just get a bit of free legal advice before you go (because if they've missed something, they'll want to ensure you resolve it).

Thanks for the advice and steps to take Bold Seagull, I really don't want to create a dispute over it but these bins are now in sight in the middle of my garden and the guy next door although of a similar age to me is not in the best of health and cannot get out at the moment, we and another neighbour were helping him with meals/shopping etc but had to get his doctor involved as it became too much, he has carers coming in twice a day now and my wife overheard them discussing extending his access to his front door which is on the same side (installing a ramp) so I have to do something. I will contact my conveyancing solicitor in the morning,

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Without wanting to be rude...is this actually causing you an issue or proving to be an obstruction etc? You've not stated so.

ive just spent the past eight months turning what was a jungle into something resembling a garden, I keep my refuse and other bins out of sight in an area at the side of my property but have his bins sitting proudly in display in the middle of what I want to be a flower bed, he has plenty of room to place the slabs on what is at the moment his flower border whereby they could remain in the same area or he could place them further up his path as mine are or even use his side entrance and place them in his rear garden all of which I would be willing to assist in, but when my wife broached the subject his reply was its a grey area intimating that he would prefer the status quo.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
ive just spent the past eight months turning what was a jungle into something resembling a garden, I keep my refuse and other bins out of sight in an area at the side of my property but have his bins sitting proudly in display in the middle of what I want to be a flower bed, he has plenty of room to place the slabs on what is at the moment his flower border whereby they could remain in the same area or he could place them further up his path as mine are or even use his side entrance and place them in his rear garden all of which I would be willing to assist in, but when my wife broached the subject his reply was its a grey area intimating that he would prefer the status quo.

OK. If he thinks it is a grey area, get the deed maps that show the line. To be nice about it, you could offer to relay the slabs within his boundary so he can park his bins.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
OK. If he thinks it is a grey area, get the deed maps that show the line. To be nice about it, you could offer to relay the slabs within his boundary so he can park his bins.

Thanks baldseagull, this is what I was going to do a couple of weeks ago but the mrs didn't want me to make a fuss etc, the deeds which are in my possession clearly define the property line from back fence to front public footway with the boundary being the edge of his slabbed garden path so there really isn't an argument except his "grey area" being "he's always kept his bins there" which until I cleared the area was not apparent but now in all honesty is an eyesore and if it's not resolved could become a point of law, "squatters rights"

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Remind me, why do solicitors earn so much money?

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Been there got the tee shirt. Firstly your solicitor handling the purchase needs to talk to your neighbour. Land registry will have all records of boundary changes or they should. My dispute was resolved in my favour but our new "neighbour" never spoke to us for the 3 yrs we lived there.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Update.........
Spoke to my neighbour about my problem, he was very understanding and accomadating, I offered to place his bins wherever he wished and said if it caused any problem for him that I would happily wheel them to the public footway every Thursday evening ready for Friday, which is pick up day here, he said not necessary, he would instruct his carers to move the bins onto a path in front of his bungalow as it was more convenient for them to have them there, sure enough the bins were moved this evening and tomorrow I will re-annex my land and set about making that area, a garden haven for both he and us to enjoy the sight of. Everything in the golddene world is back on its axis. Thank you everyone who posted for the advice and time taken to respond, a special mention to biscuit, your advice definitely had mileage in it and I'm saddened that the resolution meant I was unable to carry out your suggestion, but, in any future dispute yours will undoubtedly be my first and initial action thank you. Golddene.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here