Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clapping away players off/onto the pitch

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
People being friendly at a friendly. I'm blown away by that.

Sounds like we're building a reputation of being a good respectful club and fans.

Better this than the shit that went on with Burnley's game.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Just found this in the football fan GUIDEBOOK. The only times applauding an opposition player off the field is acceptable:

- In a friendly
- If it's one of the worlds top 10 players
- If the player has destroyed your team and the game is beyond saving.
- If Vicente (also bow and give thanks to the gods)

D

Deleted member 2719

During the match I hope we're on their backs and just getting behind the Albion but after the game I don't see a problem in showing appreciation for world class players?

No thanks i would prefer it to be like the old den, than some sort of variety show.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I couldn't bring myself to do this, though we were in the East & many around us did. TBH you will probably see this season something like:

"Coming off, Raheem Sterling"

West Upper: "Whoooo?"
North Stand: "Booo. W-ker W-ker"
South Stand: "Get off! Get a fing move on"
East Lower: loud ripple of applause
East Upper: "Stephens has been terrible again"
West Lower: "What's the score at Twickers Ferdy?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harsh!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

el punal

Okay so what is the level when this should happen?

After today's effort where a good portion clapped off two "well known players" are we going to do this every single match now just because we once picked them in a fantasy football team?

Personally I'm happy to give a decent England player a small ripple of applause but the foreigners? No thanks.

If we are going to stay up this season we need to make the AMEX a cauldron, not a flipping cricket match.

Putting this post into some context. This match was purely a friendly and therefore not as competitive as a regulation league or cup game - so everything was sweetness and light. The majority, maybe, of fans were not your hard nosed regular Albion watchers but were "day tripper" fans who used this fixture to be able to see Brighton play when they otherwise would not be able to. This included my family party of eight and we were there to celebrate my grandson's ninth birthday - and enjoy it they did.

Next Saturday of course it will be different. I will be back in my regular locale of the West Upper, I will not be on my best behaviour, I will have consumed a large amount of amber nectar, and I will definitely NOT be applauding any over priced, over paid Man.City player. Same as it ever was.

Bring it on! :albion2:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
To many Rodneys in the happy flappy club :(
Give theyse foriegners an inch and they will start taking libraries like them Hanoverians at burnley who got match abandoned. Anyone who claps oppo is a melt end of.

Regards

DR

and I think you have won moron of the year

Again.

Bit of a shoe-in every year, though, so no surprise really.

I so hope "taking libraries" wasn't a typo!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
My God we've got some snowflakes among our supporters.

They are some of the finest footballers on the planet and it was a friendly.

WTF is all the fuss about. :nono:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
FFS it was a friendly.

I've seen Atletico play a couple of times and have really enjoyed going to the Vincente Calderon.

I clapped Griezmann when he was subbed, because he is quality.

If it had been a competitive fixture, then no I wouldn't have clapped, but really, let's all grow up, lift our knuckles off the ground, and know that there are times when it's ok to sit back and relax and just enjoy watching two teams (one of them the one you support) play football.

It's a funny ol one. When Peacehaven were in the Ryman Guernsey used to set the bar, their fans travelled in number and they ALWAYS applauded the opponents off home and away, this made for a good atmosphere and generally "a good day out"

I won't be applauding any Man City players as £ for £ they don't entertain me (The Albion do) give me the 100% effort of Cam Wiltshire or the silky skills of Sam Nelson any day!

The small singing element in the "away end" at Newhaven Saturday applauded off the hosts and this was appreciated by them and the locals as at that level you can sometimes literally hear a pin drop. Plenty of beer consumed in the clubhouse and plenty of handshakes, a good day for local football.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I am a true loyal BHA season ticket holder for many years. I believe the tradition at Brighton is to enjoy the football. None of this 'hoof it and hope' stuff but on the floor football with skill. To me promotion comes with skill and good football.
Sunday was a friendly and I enjoyed watching the 'names' show off (and miss an open goal). I applauded them off in the same way I will smile and clap maybe twice should a £50million striker score the goal of the century against us.
Knockys run in the second half beating three players was right in front of me and had that been a Madrid player I would have clapped almost as much.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Dignity and class in a friendly - whatever next.

Once the whistle goes in any match their should be no prisoners taken until the final whistle. After that let's shake hands say well done and be pals.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
I'd say class. What is wrong with acknowledging that someone has played your team off the park ?
it was a friendly after all
I clapped torres hes class, however you have to acknowledge world class players, and we will see a lot of them this season

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
FFS this was Atletico Madrid, and we're talking about Torres and Griezman. I clapped them both off. It was pretty amazing the club managed to attract this calibre of team for a friendly, and great that both the major stars played almost the entire game. Why not acknowledge that?

All in all, a great day out��

'Attract that calibre' - we paid them 6 figures to turn up and play us !

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can remember Ronaldinho getting a standing ovation from the Bernabeu crowd once as he left the pitch. I think Barca were 4-1 up at the time, he'd scored a hattrick and had put in an absolutely mesmerising performance that night.

So if they can do it against their most hated rivals, I don't see anything wrong with us acknowledging a class player in the opposition ranks. Its what grown-ups do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here