Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BHAFC Fans given banning order....................

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
So, at the risk of being naive, why drink in a public place with shirts & flags in full view? Why not save that for the game itself.

Naïve.

Thousands travelled and you head to where the atmosphere is. Same as many do when following BHA away. You don't go sneaking off somewhere miles away on risk of trouble and if loads did that , then the Russians would of just gone there anyway.

As for saving for the game, innocents were attacked outside the stadium and inside the stadium too.

You've got it badly wrong on this one.

As for Balkham, echo what Kid Franky says. He isn't a pal and should be treated with contempt

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Naïve.

Thousands travelled and you head to where the atmosphere is. Same as many do when following BHA away. You don't go sneaking off somewhere miles away on risk of trouble and if loads did that , then the Russians would of just gone there anyway.

As for saving for the game, innocents were attacked outside the stadium and inside the stadium too.

As for Balkham, echo what Kid Franky says. He isn't a pal and should be treated with contempt

I was only asking a question.

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
The job of a so called ‘intelligence officer’ should also include keeping people safe this was not the case in Marseille all day long groups of tooled up Russians roamed the streets attacking English Fans I saw the same group that attacked our fans at lunchtime in that square marching down the main avenue near the stadium throwing bottles at more English fans and attacking a group sitting outside another pub some six hours later but yet again no police to be seen whilst this was happening until 5 minutes later when plumes of tear gas can been seen behind us and 100’s of English then seen sprinting from the scene being chased by these Russians throwing more bottles running towards the stadium causing complete chaos in the streets surrounding the stadium. Someone needs to answer a lot of questions about the whole operation and the fact none of this has been reported back by the ‘’intelligence officer’’ is a total disgrace and for our fans to be made scapegoats and to serving 5 year bans when they were minding their own business having a spot of lunch away from the main hard core of the England support is beyond belief.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Quite a few saying dont wear shirts, flags attract trouble and dont go to the square etc etc

You need to remember that in 98, the fanzone was attacked and that was where most of the violence happened. Its easy to say shouldnt have gone here or there but if the Russians wanted trouble, they would have found it somewhere else!!

Naïve.

Haven't we already ascertained that Balkham wasn't even in France at the time?

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
he was in the port area in Marseille on the Friday - even photos of him on sky sports that day too

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
if there is plenty of evidence that these 5 people are normally good away fans then why doesn't PC Balkham say something in their defence he must know them if he has been doing his job. There were some severe extenuating circumstances going on those days in Marseille and if this is a genuine case of 'reacting' then I really don't see where justice has been done.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
if there is plenty of evidence that these 5 people are normally good away fans then why doesn't PC Balkham say something in their defence he must know them if he has been doing his job. There were some severe extenuating circumstances going on those days in Marseille and if this is a genuine case of 'reacting' then I really don't see where justice has been done.

Because it's all about numbers. The policing bill for the tournament for UK old bill probably would have been in £100s of thousands. Getting easy wins like this justifies spending the money from the public purse sending football coppers on a month long jollyup in French France and makes Joe Public think the streets are safe once again.

Likewise Balkham needs to justify his own existence. He's already gone from Brighton liaison copper to the whole of Sussex. He's just added near enough 50% on to our number of fans with banning orders.

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
Because it's all about numbers. The policing bill for the tournament for UK old bill probably would have been in £100s of thousands. Getting easy wins like this justifies spending the money from the public purse sending football coppers on a month long jollyup in French France and makes Joe Public think the streets are safe once again.

Likewise Balkham needs to justify his own existence. He's already gone from Brighton liaison copper to the whole of Sussex. He's just added near enough 50% on to our number of fans with banning orders.

he says nothing because of the £3500 the police receive from the home office with every FBO - so its a incentive to get a few banned.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012

Are you serious? Who do you think was the spearhead for applying for the bans in the first place?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I am serious... I suspect this forum is monitored and am offering an opportunity for justice to prevail. I don't know the lads involved nor did I witness what went on but know enough about human nature to know that after a few beers even the most tranquil of person acts differently and if provoked will REACT. If this was a re-action rather than premeditated action then clearly the punishment is unfair and should be appealed.

There are a lot of points made in this thread which are really challenging the position of the police , both our own and the french and in particular the football liaison officer for the club. i don't know the guy but know his role can only be effective if he has the trust of the fans i.e. he seen to be looking out for them as mush as he is looking out to prevent trouble. Note I say prevent trouble and not let it happen then react.

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
Exactly ! The club have come out far too soon condemning our fans without even saying what they believed happened over there? I’d love to hear Balkhams made up version of Events that day, as I have previously stated I was there, I have never been involved in any sort of football violence and those boys deserve a fair trial

PC BHA

Sep 29, 2005
Gents ( and ladies who are reading this)

I am answering the thread as I was made aware of it. As most of you know I do read and comment on NSC so conspiracy theories out of the window, that's what I do. I have also had a ask the police forum on this board for many years for persons to ask anything they wish about policing. They may not like or agree with the answer but part of my role is to be contactable. Hence my twitter account and email address.

The incidents which happened in Marseille over the period of the three days were not good and some English fans were targeted by a clearly defined Russian group. This is a fact. Our role over in Marseille and at the rest of the tournament was to engage with supporters and to try and advise French police regarding English supporters. This was in a liaison capacity. This worked well at times with some of the host venues.

The incident regarding the people spoken about on this thread was separate from the main pictures seen in the papers. It was filmed by British police and sent back to London for a decision to be made whether a ban would be sought. That decision was taken and it was assessed by a magistrate.

I will not go into the actual events at this time as they have the right to appeal currently. Any suggestion that this was targeted is incorrect. The suggestion we have received £3500 per ban is also incorrect. This type of ban has been sought by me once in the time they have been available and since I have been liaison (16years). The decision to apply for one on this occasion was made by London.

I am sure some people will not believe this, everyone is entitled to their opinion and it is not my want to see Brighton fans banned. I have a role with supporters and the club as their and your liaison. Sometimes through difficult times but mainly a pleasure.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Gents ( and ladies who are reading this)

I am answering the thread as I was made aware of it. As most of you know I do read and comment on NSC so conspiracy theories out of the window, that's what I do. I have also had a ask the police forum on this board for many years for persons to ask anything they wish about policing. They may not like or agree with the answer but part of my role is to be contactable. Hence my twitter account and email address.

The incidents which happened in Marseille over the period of the three days were not good and some English fans were targeted by a clearly defined Russian group. This is a fact. Our role over in Marseille and at the rest of the tournament was to engage with supporters and to try and advise French police regarding English supporters. This was in a liaison capacity. This worked well at times with some of the host venues.

The incident regarding the people spoken about on this thread was separate from the main pictures seen in the papers. It was filmed by British police and sent back to London for a decision to be made whether a ban would be sought. That decision was taken and it was assessed by a magistrate.

I will not go into the actual events at this time as they have the right to appeal currently. Any suggestion that this was targeted is incorrect. The suggestion we have received £3500 per ban is also incorrect. This type of ban has been sought by me once in the time they have been available and since I have been liaison (16years). The decision to apply for one on this occasion was made by London.

I am sure some people will not believe this, everyone is entitled to their opinion and it is not my want to see Brighton fans banned. I have a role with supporters and the club as their and your liaison. Sometimes through difficult times but mainly a pleasure.

Was your own opinion or background info sought by London in this particular case?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So, at the risk of being naive, why drink in a public place with shirts & flags in full view? Why not save that for the game itself.

If this was Russia away, I could understand but this is a MAJOR TOURNAMENT.

Every single country took over the host towns on the days leading up to games. I stayed around in Marseille and witnessed the Albanians roll into town on masse. Again Albanians in Lyon, Irish in Nice.... it's what happens and has always happened

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here