Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Are the Tories committing political suicide?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see Theresa May's university review will not scrap tuition fees and she's pledged to keep the £9,250 cap.

Given Labour have said they'll abolish tuition fees, given the young were overruled on Brexit and it is now almost impossible for them to get on the housing ladder aren't the Tories not just in danger of losing the young voters but in creating enough bad feeling to lose their votes for a generation?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
There was concern last year, that with the pension changes, it would be harder for the younger generation to save for retirement.
Weak wage rises with rises in property prices, add for them to turn to a political party, who may help them.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
What happens come budget day when Comrade McDonnell has to choose between NHS or university funding?

Oh wait, silly me, it will be self-funding or some other claptrap.

#bustagain

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What happens come budget day when Comrade McDonnell has to choose between NHS or university funding?

#bustagain

You say this, but how come Germany has free education and a fantastic and well funded health system? If the Germans can do it there’s no reason why Britain can’t.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

#bustagain

This thread is talking about the TORIES and whether or not they're committing suicide by further alienating young voters.

What are you talking about?

Trouble is what is the alternative?

Corbyn would be a disaster.
For what it's worth, I'm not sure that's true. For sure, I don't fancy paying obscenely high taxes, but then I don't much like the fact that the country is currently at the mercy of 35 fairly unintelligent zealots who are hell bent on a ludicrous form of Brexit. In the long run, I think that is going to cause FAR more damage than 5 years of Corbyn. At least some of his ridiculously high personal income taxation would be used to fund sensible stuff.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not because of fees. As some bloke (a money expert) repeated this morning on R5,confirming my understanding (I teach the buggers), students will hardly pay back anything unless they get a job paying an absolute shed load of cash, and will be better off delaying the payments and repaying as slowly as possible. The fees were always a massive cock up, which is why the unis are about to experience a cash flow issue (well, the will once the thicky government work out what's happening - they clearly haven't yet, as I'm still in a job).

The tories, in a wider sense, have been engineering a political suicide since Cameron buggered up the referendum. However, since Corbyn got in, it has become a suicide pact with labour. UKIP seem very eager to join in with the self-immolation too, it seems. The liberals are too unmportant for it to matter.

D

Deleted member 22389

You say this, but how come Germany has free education and a fantastic and well funded health system? If the Germans can do it there’s no reason why Britain can’t.

Didn't you say Germany has some sort of health insurance people have to pay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
This thread is talking about the TORIES and whether or not they're committing suicide by further alienating young voters.

What are you talking about?
I'm talking the sort of sense that most people will understand when faced with a snake oil salesman at the next election.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm talking the sort of sense that most people will understand when faced with a snake oil salesman at the next election.
Absolutely priceless when you consider the tail wagging Tory dog is the 35 Brexit zealots who will ruin this country based on an appallingly conducted referendum based on your pure "snake oil" bullshit.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Germans...?

You have 6 million Turks there keeping you economy going.

Let's be brutally honest here....your beloved Germans are only marginally better than the Nazi scum of two generations ago.....just in a more 'immigrant friendly form'.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Germans...?

Let's be brutally honest here....your beloved Germans are only marginally better than the Nazi scum of two generations ago.....just in a more 'immigrant friendly form'.

I think they've stopped gassing people now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Germans...?

Possiblly the shittest post of the day, well played.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
As the OP I was making the point about a COMBINATION of Tory policies discriminating against the young and what effect that might have in the long-term.

I don't recall a time when the Tories had so little to offer the younger voter. It just feels as though there is a huge political vacuum waiting to be filled by something other than the present political party system - the Tories kill them financially, Labour kills them with Brexit. Then there's the 48%, the voters of Northern Ireland, the 4 million who voted UKIP....

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Didn't you say Germany has some sort of health insurance people have to pay.

Germany’s healthcare services and social security scheme have a good reputation. However, paying your contributions may be quite pricey, based on your line of work and annual income. Healthcare in Germany is divided into two sectors, the gesetzliche Krankenversicherung (public health insurance) and the private Krankenversicherung (private medical care).

All Germans and legal residents of Germany are entitled to healthcare. In fact it has become illegal not to be insured, and having some sort of medical insurance is thus a requirement when starting a job in Germany.

Don't worry the Daily Mail and The Sun will print front pages accusing Corbyn and Co of being terrorist SYMPATHISERS and the Tories will ROMP to a landslide victory with over a 100 seat majority .......oh wait they tried that last year and it FAILED , maybe they will print front pages accusing Corbyn of being a SOVIET spy this time ???

It has always been a Conservative government that has bailed the country out. Very easy for the lefties to sell the nations gold, spend more than what comes in .....

Anyone with a half brain cell, that is not a scrounger would vote for a non left party

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here