Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Starting line up swansea

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Deja vu to posts elsewhere?

I think there are too few bodies in CM there, plus Gross has had a great influence this season, in contrast to March who's not yet risen to the PL challenge.

Interesting... I agree Gross has been great, but disagree about Solly, think he is a winger, so erratic, but is steadily improving, and has long since shown his PL credentials...

Still, I was giving my preffered team, not the team I think Chris might go for... he will probably go for the tried and tested 4-4-1-1, so:

Ryan
Schelotto Duffy Dunk Bong
March Stephens Propper Izquierdo
Gross
Murray

IMHO, this is too cautious in a game we really must win, since there aren't that many games left where we can reasonably expect to get 3 points after Swansea...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Interesting... I agree Gross has been great, but disagree about Solly, think he is a winger, so erratic, but is steadily improving, and has long since shown his PL credentials...

Still, I was giving my preffered team, not the team I think Chris might go for... he will probably go for the tried and tested 4-4-1-1, so:

Ryan
Gross
Murray

IMHO, this is too cautious in a game we really must win, since there aren't that many games left where we can reasonably expect to get 3 points after Swansea...

Agree that 3 points is a must.

My front 3 of Locadia, Murray (Ulloa as an early sun) and Izquierdo, gives us the pace (GM excluded of course) and positivity we lacked in most games until now.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Of course.

But Murray has been in good form. I'm not saying Locadia isn't better then Murray, I'm saying I think that Hughton would still go for Murray for this game as it's his way.
Fair enough - and I'm not saying he is better either - although I hope for £14M he will be! It's one of the things we'll have to used to, favourite players who's places in the team were guaranteed suddenly being reduced to squad members - see Bruno and Knocky this season, not guaranteed a start any more. Murray could be next, unbelievable though that may have seemed a few weeks ago. Having said that, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Murray starting against Swansea.

Izquierdo cost a zillion pounds and barely got a kick for a while, with Knockaert and March preferred over him.
Yes, I said as much in a previous post. On the other hand, Propper and Gros just got slug straight in, to sink or swim. I wonder which way Locadia will go.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Ryan
Gross
Murray

We're unbeaten in 5, scored in each of those 5, tried and tested works for me. I'd start exactly as we did against West Ham, and don't see it as cautious personally. Locadia will have had to be doing something particularly spectacular in training for him to get a start after his injury, but if he has, would be pretty excited to see him in the line up. Ulloa not quite enough in the Coventry game to see him edge Murray out just yet either, but again, fine margins so not at all weakened if he started.

Ryan
Knockeart Stephens Propper Izquierdo
Gross
Murray

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes, I said as much in a previous post. On the other hand, Propper and Gros just got slug straight in, to sink or swim. I wonder which way Locadia will go.

We didn't have much choice in central midfield at the beginning of the season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We didn't have much choice in central midfield at the beginning of the season.

True - and if you go back to our recent bad run, we didn't have any choice up front, according to NSC! Still, I guess the situation now is that Murray will probably start against Swansea - but he will know very clearly that unless he keeps scoring and scoring and scoring, he'll be the next to become a squad member along with Bruno and Knocky. In that case, if Murray continues to play and gets another ten league goals this season, then I suppose that might make spending £14M on Locdia seem a worthwhile investment!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
True - and if you go back to our recent bad run, we didn't have any choice up front, according to NSC! Still, I guess the situation now is that Murray will probably start against Swansea - but he will know very clearly that unless he keeps scoring and scoring and scoring, he'll be the next to become a squad member along with Bruno and Knocky. In that case, if Murray continues to play and gets another ten league goals this season, then I suppose that might make spending £14M on Locdia seem a worthwhile investment!

Locadia NOT a Murray replacement IMHO, more likely a Sam B upgrade... but we shall see...

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Agree that 3 points is a must.

My front 3 of Locadia, Murray (Ulloa as an early sun) and Izquierdo, gives us the pace (GM excluded of course) and positivity we lacked in most games until now.

I don't get this, once again this talk of a lack of positivity. With the exceptions of the games against Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool I think all our home performances we have been positive. In fact we gave it a bit of a go against Liverpool and where did that get us :lolol:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Leo and Locadia give CH an extra tactical flexibility in that he can tell Murray to run himself into the ground for an hour in the knowledge that he has one or both to throw on against a tiring defence.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I don't get this, once again this talk of a lack of positivity. With the exceptions of the games against Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool I think all our home performances we have been positive. In fact we gave it a bit of a go against Liverpool and where did that get us :lolol:

We're playing Swansea! :lolol:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Just an opinion, like, but:

Murray, Ulloa, Hemed - similar, not same
Locadia, Baldock - similar, not same

Go positive against bottom 14, so Murray / Locadia... the 2 in a 4-4-2...
Go more cautious against top 6, so Murray / Gross... the 1-1 in a 4-4-1-1...

BTW, the one time we played with 2 wing-backs, we got absolutely hammered...

Why is that so hard to understand for some on here?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I know, and think we will be as positive from the outset as we ha e in most other home games...

Have we tho?

We didn't have Locadia for half the season, and Baldock was, as usual, injured, so we went 4-4-1-1...

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Based on recent performances I thought Leo would take over from Muzza, once given a chance.
However Leo didn't really shine on Saturday IMO.

I think Murray, on current form, would have got a hat full against Coventry.
So It's still Murray's shirt as far as I'm concerned.

Locadia provides options, but against Swansea at home, I think CH will go with tried and tested.
Then see what the new boy can do against a tiring back 4 from 70 mins or so.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I know, and think we will be as positive from the outset as we have in most other home games...

Have we tho?

We didn't have Locadia for half the season, and Baldock was, as usual, injured, so we went 4-4-1-1...

You don't think we were 'positive' against West Ham, or Bournemouth, or Everton, or Watford?

Don't get so hung up on paper formations - a team in the lower half of the Premier League starting with two out-and-out wingers, a number 9 and a number 10 (a number 10 who has contributed ELEVEN goals/assists btw) is near unheard of. I swear we could play a midfield with Rosenior and Skalak instead of the wingers, and some people would be happier so long as there were 'two up front'.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Go positive against bottom 14, so Murray / Locadia... the 2 in a 4-4-2...
Go more cautious against top 6, so Murray / Gross... the 1-1 in a 4-4-1-1...

I don't really get this? :shrug:

What is Gross, our second highest scorer, our highest number of assists, and he's a 'more cautious' pick? Was I watching a different game against West Ham as he orchestrated most of our attacking play?

Will be interesting to see how Locadia fits in, but I can see a Gross/Locadia lineup before we see a Locadia/Murray one...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here