Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Struggled through 17 miles this morning. Not my finest run but considering how ill I felt yesterday one to look back on as ‘did it when it was hard’ moment.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
9 miles easy (8), 9 miles at marathon pace (6:50) this morning. Wasn't looking forward to it but averaged 6:40 miles in the second half so pretty happy.

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
Heathfield park cross country this morning. 5 miles muddy slog, exhausting, managed 8:30 pace round after yesterday's park run exertions. Just gentle paced runs now before Brighton half. Felt for the bloke who lost a trail shoe in the murky stream crossing.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Btw what is it about running the Worthing/Lancing seafront that makes everyone so sociable.

As someone who runs Brighton seafront pretty much everyday and barely get a grimaced smile in passing. In comparison, it is a bit strange doing the occasional run along Lancing and 9 out of 10 people waving or saying hello.

Poor comradery with Brighton runners.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
11 miles this morning at 9.35 pace. Ready for next week? Definitely.

Stopped off to talk to [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] on my cool down who was looking fit as a fiddle.

Excellent stuff. Apart from still having yesterday's match ball hidden in your running top you looked good yourself particularly at the end of 11 miles. I was in need of a Zimmer frame 2 and half hours later. 16 miles at planned 10" mile pace on the flat really tightened the I.T. band. Still job done.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I thought Eastbourne was a nice course. Flat and green surroundings with a fairly good surface. My body let me down today, not the route, so I’ll be back for a proper crack at it.

There certainly is. You need to do 20 to get on the table - http://www.parkrun.org.uk/results/mostevents/

Lancing Eagles is the one that caught my eye, despite the name. It’s certainly the easiest to reach, but could I really buy and wear clothing that says EAGLES on it?

I’ve seen some of your runs on the Strava group. You’re a crazy man. I’m still two hours from waking up when you’re running! There must be potential for a successful local club though. There are plenty of runners on the streets round here and quite a good variety of routes. If Steyning has got one then SBS definitely should too.

Not sure about crazy (although I guess all of us are a little bit) but I've always been good at early mornings - it's just what works for me [emoji16]

You're right though - I think there is the potential for a running club. I even see other runners around pre-dawn!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm another early morning runner. When I was marathon training in 2016 [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] and I used to often pass each other somewhere in Shoreham or Southwick, often at about 6 in the morning. I started at 8 today, which is late for me, but the kids were at a sleepover and I'd been at a gig the night before. If my son has a 10am football match on a Sunday I'll start my long run at 6.30 latest.

Excellent stuff. Apart from still having yesterday's match ball hidden in your running top you looked good yourself particularly at the end of 11 miles. I was in need of a Zimmer frame 2 and half hours later. 16 miles at planned 10" mile pace on the flat really tightened the I.T. band. Still job done.

Good to see you mate. The match ball is what happens when you get injured from August to December and still drink the same amount of Harvey's at games. Plus my birthday weekend in Manchester probably put 2 stone on me :lolol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Zero miles today and a rare lay in for everyone in the Bobkin household. Proper training begins tomorrow...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
As there seems to be a number of NSC runners preparing for a marathon, I thought you might be interested in this. I can't commend it as such - just putting it out there in case it's of use. Happy running!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...-updated-formula-for-marathon-running-success

Very interesting and very accurate (43 seconds out) based on my last marathon attempt.

Only had an hour to run today so hit the hills. Ran up through the Withdean tunnel (turned to the left) and then up Dyke Road to King George VI then down to Hove Park before going up Woodland. Back downhill to Withdean then up Peacock Lane before heading home. 7 miles with a 600+ foot climb.

Hill running always seems to make the time fly in comparison to flatter runs, before I knew it I was 6 miles in and having to come back home.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just for [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION], I ventured out at 5:38am for 3.3 miles of hills and stuff. Doesn't make up for missing a long run yesterday, but it's a start...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Garmin doesn't like the Undercliff and Cliff top route to Saltdean. I ran on the flat bottom route yesterday. When I wasn't in the sea I was on top of the cliffs according to Strava. [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] ran the 700' triple of Snakey, Woodland Drive and Peacock Lane and I matched him with a 700' ascent along the flat undercliff.
It's the only discrepancy I've found.

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
I come seeking NSC running wisdom...

After popping a hamstring at Hove park on the first Saturday of 2018, I made my parkrun return this weekend with a very sedate 27.22. After 5 weeks of recovery/kicking my heels I'm trying to build my distances back up, went out yesterday and completed 10.8 miles in 1hr 40. Thing is, today my legs ache a lot and with an eye on the Brighton half this coming weekend what should my plan be for this week? I was planning a couple more runs to get me closer to the 13.1 distance as I was dead on my feet at the end of yesterday but I don't really want to risk the hammy popping again! If I can get through the half I'm reasonably confident I can build up in time for the Brighton marathon.

What should I do?

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Bad news for [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] they missed someone sneaking up on the outside. Well done [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION]. Found this from Strava. Nearly thought you'd taken my AG % lead but I manage to hang on.

Thanks very much for adding my parkrun time & AG on Saturday knocky1! Didn't think I had the legs to go sub 19 at the moment.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

After popping a hamstring at Hove park on the first Saturday of 2018, I made my parkrun return this weekend with a very sedate 27.22. After 5 weeks of recovery/kicking my heels I'm trying to build my distances back up, went out yesterday and completed 10.8 miles in 1hr 40. Thing is, today my legs ache a lot and with an eye on the Brighton half this coming weekend what should my plan be for this week? I was planning a couple more runs to get me closer to the 13.1 distance as I was dead on my feet at the end of yesterday but I don't really want to risk the hammy popping again! If I can get through the half I'm reasonably confident I can build up in time for the Brighton marathon.

What should I do?

I would listen to your legs, do a bit of core work perhaps and plenty of stretching but I wouldn't be looking to run again before sunday. Maybe go out for a few gentle runs but nothing silly, or nothing fast. Rest your hammy!

Before the Worthing Half of last year, I hadn't been able to run at all following shin splints from early January but then showed up on the day and ran a good race. I reckon you should show up on sunday nice and rested, enjoy the run and getting back into the swing of things but not put too much pressure on yourself. :thumbsup:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

What should I do?

Hey! I'd probably focus on rest and recovery. Perhaps 1-2 short super easy paced runs to tick over and see how the legs feel. I always try to remind myself it's difficult to make any big gains through running in the week before a race to improve how you will run on race day, but it's very easy to do some harm. Less is more. Better to feel as fresh as possible and itching to run come race morning I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here