Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 102nd Tour de France, thread.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agreed, but I would take team time trials out personally as they can really penalise good riders unfortunate enough to have a weak TT team.

I'd be happy with more editions like this year. Light on TT and chucking classics style stages in there heavy on the first week to create fireworks and keep the serious GC contenders on their toes rather than just everything won and lost in the mountains.
I think we'll get bored of those quite quickly, as great as they are now and have been this year I'll be disappointed if next years route keeps with punchy 2km climbing finishes.

I think the Telegraph boys were asked about a route with no HC climbs.
They were against the idea but admitted the big name climbs are fairly devoid of real action.

It's only when you think about it, you realise how regimented the route is.
No much how well Prudhomme has mixed it up, and qod forbid we go back to 'first 5 days = bunch sprint, there's only x amount of options available.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I must add, I love a Time Trial, brilliant to set up with food, chair and start time list, near the end of a long one, and watch the race go by one, by one, with lots of catches and battles.

Mountain TT even better, this was a great one, We were 2 of 1.5 million people on the mountain side that day, its was hot but fab, can only find footage with he that shan't be named

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiD89SUkdIk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The man who's face will be all over the front of every European news outlet.

While I'm £170 richer.

Yes I did it, I couldn't help myself :down:

A fool and his money, although at least I've been smart enough to save my only bet until the last stage.
As my prognostications clearly show I'd be properly broke if I were chasing my loses, for the last 3 weeks.

So close!!!!!

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
The man who's face will be all over the front of every European news outlet.

While I'm £170 richer.

Yes I did it, I couldn't help myself :down:

A fool and his money, although at least I've been smart enough to save my only bet until the last stage.
As my prognostications clearly show I'd be properly broke if I were chasing my loses, for the last 3 weeks.

See - everyone was right, he was nowhere near! ;-)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nuts.

I hate cycling :cry:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So, Cocquard nearly got it. Was your bet each way, SB?
Only losers bet eachway :facepalm: :lol:

Welcome back, I've been enjoying your Strava.
All that looking up must have put a strain on your neck.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
There you go SB, got you 2nd at least :thumbsup: I'm assuming you had him E/W of course.

Edit: Just seen you went all in :eek: Are you mad!?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Edit: Just seen you went all in :eek: Are you mad!?
Yeah, I allowed myself just a fiver, as I started to think I should double up win & ew.

Naturally at that point I convinced myself I was throwing twice the amount of money away, so left it.

Hopefully someone had a little flutter @ 40/1, just with more sense.

Lil Miss Stat came in with a puzzled look on her face at about 100m to go and said:-

"Are you watching cycling or football". :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Review Time

Well that certainly was an enjoyable tour.
I can't think of too many days without a highlight or talking point.
I'm even struggling to pick out a villain, beyond some of the media, in with all the hero's.

Froome - Rode to perfection.
G - Did everything brilliantly, including his interviews.
Wouter Poels - I think he'll get forgotten but for me his Alpine riding kept CF in yellow.
Tony Martin - Dogged determination for yellow, and epitomising Le Tour with his collar bone sticking through his skin.
Peter Sagan - All guts and talent.
Steve Cummings - Blasting past the Frenchies.
Plenty of heroic climbing and descending.
A great looking route, as usual.
Some top notch coverage.
A fair few heart in mouth moments as well. (today's was self-inflicted)
Finally, I hope Cofidis get a wild card entry next year, the race seemed a little lacking without them!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The abuse Froome has received has been totally uncalled for, I'm absolutely disgusted.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The abuse Froome has received has been totally uncalled for, I'm absolutely disgusted.

He needs to be feted in this country. He is a true sporting superstar, and his achievements are absolutely incredible.

I know Sports Personality of the Year is a bit crap, but if he doesn't win something is very wrong.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Review Time

I'm even struggling to pick out a villain, beyond some of the media, in with all the hero's.

Wouter Poels - I think he'll get forgotten but for me his Alpine riding kept CF in yellow.
Tony Martin - Dogged determination for yellow, and epitomising Le Tour with his collar bone sticking through his skin.
Some top notch coverage.
Finally, I hope Cofidis get a wild card entry next year, the race seemed a little lacking without them!

Teklehaimanot also deserves a mention for his polka dot shenanigans.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It'll certainly make next year interesting.
In what should be another straight shoot out between Nairo and Chris, will the French learn to trust Froome & Sky's panache free style?

Teklehaimanot also deserves a mention for his polka dot shenanigans.
Cummings' win was originally an MTN in general, point, in preparation of sticking it to Cofidis.
But remembering SC winning in the style I assume I'll win my first Tour stage I felt needed singling out, but then I forgot to give the team props.
I wonder if Cummings shouted "quad power" as he shot passed them?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Review Time

Some top notch coverage.
No mention for Greipel?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here