Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Promotion to the PL was worth £200M, or so we kept being reminded.....

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Up to the board in the next two weeks whether they belatedly want to invest in TWO proven pacey strikers to keep us in this league.The club banging on about breaking the club's transfer record just won't hack it anymore. Been trying to do it on the cheap for far too long now, which just ends up with us becoming ever more adrift of market rates and belatedly playing horrendously expensive catch-up. It's about paying the going rate for proven quality now. Else it's Championship football next season. Ask Sunderland how good THAT feels.

Of the strikers we were close to signing in the summer. Which one didn't come because were were doing it "on the cheap".or weren't prepared to pay market rates.
In the case of one of them a £23m fee.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
No, obviously. Only those who live up to their one-job description i.e. they are able to put the ball in the back of the net on a fairly regular basis.

So proven goal scorers, with pace.

How much do you want to spend?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Of the strikers we were close to signing in the summer. Which one didn't come because were were doing it "on the cheap".or weren't prepared to pay market rates.
In the case of one of them a £23m fee.

Hope the club are paying you the proper going rate for a Junior Minister Of Information because you're going to have your work cut out this month :moo:

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
WHY was / has the money not been invested in the team last summer, to try to keep us in the Premier League?

We seem to have had a half hearted go at it, spending a bit of that cash but not really having a proper go!

IF we do go down, then I think it's game over for this particular Board, we will need bigger investors to get a team worthy of promotion again, a bit like Wolves have done.

All very disappointing, despite the great efforts of a top Championship side to survive in the bigtime. Truth is the players have had their chance at the bigtime, and are now falling away as we approach the sharp end of the season.

Don’t be so bloody stupid.
I am sure I’m not alone in saying that I would prefer a Championship club owned by a dedicated local family than a champions league club owned by Chinese, Yanks or any other rich person with no connection to our COMMUNITY CLUB!

Long live the BLOOMS, if Tony ever sold out it would be a very sad day indeed.

Go and sit in the corner and think about what you have said, or piss of and support Chelski!

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
I blame the Board for our likely relegation, NOT the players or Hughton! We had every chance to recruit in the summer with our windfall, and rather cocked it up.

I have been around since 1970!!!

If relegation is the boards fault then so was promotion.
As I have said why don’t you support a team with a careless, soulless owner who splashes the cash, if you are that desperate for success?

It is not all about the PL, but it is all about Brighton & Hove Albion

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Up to the board in the next two weeks whether they belatedly want to invest in TWO proven pacey strikers to keep us in this league.The club banging on about breaking the club's transfer record just won't hack it anymore. Been trying to do it on the cheap for far too long now, which just ends up with us becoming ever more adrift of market rates and belatedly playing horrendously expensive catch-up. It's about paying the going rate for proven quality now. Else it's Championship football next season. Ask Sunderland how good THAT feels.

Sadly I think they have already softened us up for the inevitable failure. Both Barber and CH stating it's a difficult window. Everybody else seem to get what they need

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
And we finished the game yesterday with 10 outfield Championship players, doesn’t say much for our recruitment does it.

Just because we offered 23m for a player it makes it all better. The thing is we didn't get him probably because he was above our pay structure which makes the bid rather pointless

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Hope the club are paying you the proper going rate for a Junior Minister Of Information because you're going to have your work cut out this month :moo:

Ha ! They don't pay the market rates for my lovely posts on NSC either.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yes, we'll pop down and buy one at NewRichBoards'R'Us, shall we? It's only a few doors down the road from 20Goals-a-seasonStrikers'R'Us, I believe. We should pop down there one afternoon and sort it out (best try Wednesdays - they might do a 10% discount for the over 65s like B&Q do).

I don't think [MENTION=29466]Gazz15[/MENTION] can get there from Whingetown on Wednesdays as the transport system is so poor. As indeed it is in Deludishire generally.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Just because we offered 23m for a player it makes it all better. The thing is we didn't get him probably because he was above our pay structure which makes the bid rather pointless

Its not about making it better , its just arguing that the idea that TB isn't prepared to cough up or that Albion are doing things on the "cheap" is a nonsense and/or if only our transfer bill was higher then all would be well. . We'd agreed wages with Janssen's agent. He just didn't fancy Albion or perhaps overestimated what Spurs thought of him, or perhaps we left it far too late in the window to tie up deals, or perhaps it was bad luck. But cash really wasn't the issue with Janssen or Andone or Dwamena was it ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
WHY was / has the money not been invested in the team last summer, to try to keep us in the Premier League?

We seem to have had a half hearted go at it, spending a bit of that cash but not really having a proper go!

IF we do go down, then I think it's game over for this particular Board, we will need bigger investors to get a team worthy of promotion again, a bit like Wolves have done.

All very disappointing, despite the great efforts of a top Championship side to survive in the bigtime. Truth is the players have had their chance at the bigtime, and are now falling away as we approach the sharp end of the season.

:ffsparr:

Another Sugar Supporter.

How will this board comply with FFP when it signs Messi then ?

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
I don't think [MENTION=29466]Gazz15[/MENTION] can get there from Whingetown on Wednesdays as the transport system is so poor. As indeed it is in Deludishire generally.

LOL, but the sad thing is talking of Deludishire, the net is tightening with even Bournemouth beating one of the Big 6!!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I blame the Board for our likely relegation, NOT the players or Hughton! We had every chance to recruit in the summer with our windfall, and rather cocked it up.

I have been around since 1970!!!

For how long have you been financially illiterate?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
And we finished the game yesterday with 10 outfield Championship players, doesn’t say much for our recruitment does it.

Well Izquierdo, Gross and Propper all started the match and Ryan, Propper and Gross have played virtually every minute of every match this season so i'm guessing they proved useful additions. And playing in a team that has outperformed most pundits , including NSC pundits , predictions of how we'd do. Unless you think that our season is a disappointment if we're not in the top half of the table i guess.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Its not about making it better , its just arguing that the idea that TB isn't prepared to cough up or that Albion are doing things on the "cheap" is a nonsense and/or if only our transfer bill was higher then all would be well. . We'd agreed wages with Janssen's agent. He just didn't fancy Albion or perhaps overestimated what Spurs thought of him, or perhaps we left it far too late in the window to tie up deals, or perhaps it was bad luck. But cash really wasn't the issue with Janssen or Andone or Dwamena was it ?

Personal terms probably kyboshed all of them. At some stage we will have to break the wage structure

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here