Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wayne Bridge yesterday

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
His marauding runs down the wing will live with me forever. Without a doubt the best full back I’ve ever seen in the stripes.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
At the time, I genuinely thought he loved playing for us too; was fantastic. Made it all the more baffling he then signed for Reading :ffsparr:

I have it on reasonably good authority that he would have stayed with us for much less than Reading were offering if Poyet had stayed.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yeah, yeah, never mind all that. Can he play left back? :dunce:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
His lung busting run to meet Greers long ball in the Cup v Newcastle..living long in the memory.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Wayne Bridge - great player for us, shame it couldn't have been longer.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I get they offered more money and in the majority of cases I'd understand. But he had been on big bucks at Chelsea and City, gone on loan to Sunderland and West Ham before us and not been at all in favour and not enjoyed it. Surely, after his career, you'd rather just enjoy your football for the last year or two, rather than still chasing the pay cheque ???

Must be quite frightening seeing your earning potential going rapidly downhill to zero in the last 2-3 years of your career when you are in your early thirties.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I was told that if Poyet had stayed he would have too (money wasnt the issue).

He also didnt know how his injury would be impacted by the remarkable training methods employed by Nigel (i used to be a physio) adkins who decided he knew best how to handle the player

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I have it on reasonably good authority that he would have stayed with us for much less than Reading were offering if Poyet had stayed.

Sorry hadnt seen this when i wrote my answer....i heard it from a friend of his agent

Also given how many games we had moved for tv that year, he was the only playwr regularly getting action on a Saturday

#i'll get my coat

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Didnt know who his wife is, now i get it :rock:

Great player, as said. Was solid at the back and gave up extra width going forward.

I guess having a £5m Surrey mansion and a stunning Mrs doftens the blow, but the idea of being 'old' and 'retired' at 38 must be pretty wierd - even if you have been on "I'm a Celeb" (WTF that is, I dont' know...) which apparently he is most famous for according to The Sun.......

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
His marauding runs down the wing will live with me forever. Without a doubt the best full back I’ve ever seen in the stripes.

He made it look so easy. He wasn't known for his pace as such but he made overlapping look easy and rarely broke a sweat getting up and down.

One of those players who when you see his name on the team sheet you immediately have no worries or concerns about his level of performance or qualities.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Great player and nice bloke. I bumped in to him when he played for us - seemed to be genuinely enthusiastic about being at Brighton. Told me that his Dad had watched all of his matches as a professional, including pre-season friendliest. He reckoned his main focus in retirement would be snow boarding!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Best LB I've ever seen in the stripes; better than even the great Harry Wilson!
Was sat near his Mrs up at Ipswich when he scored a a cracker, she went mental! Good on her.
Was that a New Years Day? Memory gone!

**** off! :lolol:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
He was on Premier League Fanzone (sorry,it doesn't air in the UK and I haven't got a link) talking about each of the clubs he played for. He RAVED about his season with Brighton. Great stadium, great fans, great bunch of players. Said he enjoyed it so much he played through injuries that season..He also said we need a striker and an attacking midfielder.

He was quality that season, for sure.

Good. Because some people use Vicente's moaning as another stick to beat Poyet with, so its great to see how much Bridge enjoyed playing for Gus

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I wonder if we actually offered him a place? We might have assumed that he wouldn't sign for the wages we could offer (bearing in mind the amount he was on - mostly paid by Man. City - while he was playing for us).

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I was told that if Poyet had stayed he would have too (money wasnt the issue).

He also didnt know how his injury would be impacted by the remarkable training methods employed by Nigel (i used to be a physio) adkins who decided he knew best how to handle the player

Weirdly a mate of a mate, who I saw tonight bumped into Bridge at a house party. Slated Adkins & really didn’t like playing for him.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Best LB I've ever seen in the stripes; better than even the great Harry Wilson!
Was sat near his Mrs up at Ipswich when he scored a a cracker, she went mental! Good on her.
Was that a New Years Day? Memory gone!
Yes, dead right. Best LB I've seen in 47 seasons following the Albion.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Must be quite frightening seeing your earning potential going rapidly downhill to zero in the last 2-3 years of your career when you are in your early thirties.

I think his 4 year contract worth 18 million prior to that with City and his 12 million earned with Chelsea might have eased his worries somewhat though.

Best leftback we have ever had though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here