Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Well, the run I just went of was cut short half way up woodland drive as a headwind kicked in. Stopped me right in my tracks. Horrible conditions.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
It's not even the surroundings – I normally love a bit of the seafront, but not at full pelt. Maybe that's one of the problems. It's also the number of turns you have to make – as you say, Worthing has one, which is fine with me, a nice easy out and back. With Hove Prom, it feels like it's been sandwiched in to a space that wasn't ever set out for a parkrun track. The same could be said for the planned Lancing event, but we'll see...

So yeah, I'll probably come down to the prom and see how I feel. I'm not sure an SB will be set though – too out of shape for all that :lol: I can manage the gentle plod of Lunar-Tic, but not a speedy 5/10k. Although I AM considering the Littlehampton 10k for Chestnut Tree House in September –*I'm such a hypocrite!

I'm already entered for Littlehampton. My cousin thinks it's the best 10k he's completed based on PBability.

Also considering the Hove Hornets 10k Sunday 20th August as the start is near to me at Waterhall.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm already entered for Littlehampton. My cousin thinks it's the best 10k he's completed based on PBability.

Also considering the Hove Hornets 10k Sunday 20th August as the start is near to me at Waterhall.
I've not done it for years but Mrs B used to work at CTH, so I always try and make it. Assuming the route hasn't changed much, it's a good one and yes, pretty fast!

bridge

Mar 16, 2011
How is it changed it in the winter? Nice summer run but not pb with the narrow path and rutted grassy edging.

Out and back along the main path. Don't do any of the narrow path or grass.
Not a fan of that summer route and imagine its quite hectic with big numbers now

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
How is it changed it in the winter? Nice summer run but not pb with the narrow path and rutted grassy edging.

Very different run in the winter. Still has the narrow track but sticks to the path with a turn at half way point. Hove prom still miles quicker on a calm day but Eastbourne can deliver a winter pb and is where I got mine earlier in the year.

Hope to get back running next month but no real improvement up till now means September more likely. Saw Jesus on Saturday but water didn't become wine and drove home sober. Frustrating thing is I can't do any form of exercise that doesn't make things worse.

Good luck to all lunar tics on Saturday. Great fun event and hope to go back next year.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Out and back along the main path. Don't do any of the narrow path or grass.
Not a fan of that summer route and imagine its quite hectic with big numbers now

Thanks.

Very different run in the winter. Still has the narrow track but sticks to the path with a turn at half way point. Hove prom still miles quicker on a calm day but Eastbourne can deliver a winter pb and is where I got mine earlier in the year.

Hope to get back running next month but no real improvement up till now means September more likely.

I was always impressed with your Eastbourne time. I'm just a summer, fair weather, drop in on the slower course. Now I know.

Sorry that injury has hit you so hard. Can you cycle on the flat? Any good at swimming? Otherwise you have to force yourself to enjoy the benefits of a good lay off.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Hope to get back running next month but no real improvement up till now means September more likely. Saw Jesus on Saturday but water didn't become wine and drove home sober. Frustrating thing is I can't do any form of exercise that doesn't make things worse.

Sorry to hear this. NSC could be like one of the football teams that has more talent in the physio's room than on the pitch! (Bollocks of course but might make one or two of us cheer up a bit.)

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Thanks.

I was always impressed with your Eastbourne time. I'm just a summer, fair weather, drop in on the slower course. Now I know.

Sorry that injury has hit you so hard. Can you cycle on the flat? Any good at swimming? Otherwise you have to force yourself to enjoy the benefits of a good lay off.

I'd guess the winter course is around 15 seconds quicker. Add that to the cooler weather and on a good day a 30 second improvement can be achieved at the same intensity of a slower summer run. I've never been any good at running in the heat and I'm still using that as a reason you destroyed me at Phoenix last year.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
"Interesting" run this morning. By which I mean crap.

Storm kept me awake but still had to get up early to fit it in. Have decided to do shorter mid-week runs on "empty" (no breakfast before) to try and shift the weight I added back on when I was injured. I assumed the storm would have cooled the air down.

However it turns out that if you go for a run when it's hot and humid after no food and little sleep you die on your arse after mile 3. :(

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

Sorry to hear this. NSC could be like one of the football teams that has more talent in the physio's room than on the pitch! (Bollocks of course but might make one or two of us cheer up a bit.)

Thanks, quite enjoyed the first few weeks but itching to get back now. 20 minute dog walks is as much as my foot will allow. I'd like to make Hastings on the 12th and hoping some acupuncture later might help get me there

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'd guess the winter course is around 15 seconds quicker. Add that to the cooler weather and on a good day a 30 second improvement can be achieved at the same intensity of a slower summer run. I've never been any good at running in the heat and I'm still using that as a reason you destroyed me at Phoenix last year.

Ha. It was fairly cold at the Hasting's Half last year.:O but hottish for the Brighton Marathon when I was :shit:

You went off too fast in to the strong westerly at last year's Phoenix, whilst I had a ride on your slipstream and stuck to my game plan. You then got better and better throughout the year, leaving me behind.. Hopefully we'll be able to get back to racing each other in the not too distant future. it's been almost a year.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Any advice would be great! Basically have massively fallen out of love with running. Have done 4 marathons in the past, but the most recent half I did after nowhere near enough training was a complete failure, probably the worst run of my life. (Was originally meant to be a full but downgraded).

My training times were miles off what I was achieving before which really hit my motivation levels. Seem to have general low energy levels at the moment so going to go to the docs in any case to make sure not something more serious but I really noticed it while running and running low on energy really early on.

So basically have stopped altogether, which means putting on weight and getting even more out of shape, whats some good targets to get me going again? My PB over 5k is 21 mins so thinking of starting a training plan to try and get back to that and maybe even been 20 mins but not sure that's enough motivation!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Any advice would be great! Basically have massively fallen out of love with running. Have done 4 marathons in the past, but the most recent half I did after nowhere near enough training was a complete failure, probably the worst run of my life. (Was originally meant to be a full but downgraded).

My training times were miles off what I was achieving before which really hit my motivation levels. Seem to have general low energy levels at the moment so going to go to the docs in any case to make sure not something more serious but I really noticed it while running and running low on energy really early on.

So basically have stopped altogether, which means putting on weight and getting even more out of shape, whats some good targets to get me going again? My PB over 5k is 21 mins so thinking of starting a training plan to try and get back to that and maybe even been 20 mins but not sure that's enough motivation!

it usually motivates me when someone tells me I won't do it, so........ you won't do it. Could be the heat that's sapping your energy.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think motivation is so important for running, if you don't have it then you either won't enjoy your running, or you just won't get out there and do it.

Unfortunately, I'm having spell on the sidelines with an ankle injury at the moment which I'm hoping will be over by parkrun on saturday! I'm spending my time in the gym instead, doing low impact work but it's not the same. My running mojo is strong right now, but my availability is gone!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I'd forget about any times for a month and just run 2-3 times a week for small distances and build up from there. Walk, jog,run a Parkrun and get a 5K time and then you have a time to beat. Then you can start setting time targets. 30 secs to a minute at a time initially. I don't know your age but if you're over 40 now you'll have trouble seeing 20 minutes again. Agree with [MENTION=149]timbha[/MENTION] you're not going to do it whether it's hot or cold!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here